What happens when you cut out carbs & sugar?

Options

Replies

• ThereAreManyNames
    ThereAreManyNames Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Maybe try just cutting the obvious things like bread and rice and pasta and see what kind of results you get from that? Going to the extreme end of keto just cold turkey might not be necessary.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I cut carbs, sugars and some fats simply because when I cut calories, those seem to be the easiest foods for me to do without. I eat as many veg as I can fit in, my dairy products also have carbs, and I keep the yogurt in.

I always feel better without sugary sweets, but the odd fruit is ok.

When I eat at maintenance, I eat more fruits, legumes and vegetables that are higher in carbs, like potatoes.
    For me, I feel better without the heavy foods that are fried or grease laden or sugary, and oddly those are the foods that are higher calorie. I could probably say I like a certain volume of food too, so in other words, I'm not happy with a piece of cheese cake and a bag of chips for the day, it might meet my calorie goal, but I would find that a hard way to stick with my plan of weight loss!
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I get into an awful mood when I don't get enough carbs. That goes with any macro.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    karenlong7 wrote: »
    P.S. I've lost 100 pounds in just over 5 months. If you are insulin resistent, eating this way works.

Caloric deficit made you lose 100 pounds in over 5 months, but congratulations on finding a tool that helped you achieve your goal.

Quite aware of this. However, eating at broader "everything in moderation" calorie deficit DIDN'T work for me... even with added exercise.

It always works, no one is immune to caloric deficit. Even when you're on keto and losing weight....you are at a caloric deficit whether you believe it or not. If you actually ate the same number of calories like you are doing right now not on keto, you would be losing weight. Keto doesn't directly cause it. By the way, I am not bashing on keto or on your choice, I don't care if one enjoys that diet or not. I just want to make it clear, because someone who is new to the world of nutrition and weight loss and reads what you wrote, they may end up believing that keto directly causes one to lose weight. Go around the forums and you will see how much bad information is out there.

Its pretty well established that insulin resistance and low carb and/or keto diets are a good fit (similarly diabetics). So for those who have those conditions, there are other variables to consider to maximize the ability to get in a deficit.

So its really not that beneficial to say that all yoi need to do is to achieve a deficit because while its 100% true, its rather difficult to do so with those conditions while being high carb.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    P.S. I've lost 100 pounds in just over 5 months. If you are insulin resistent, eating this way works.

Caloric deficit made you lose 100 pounds in over 5 months, but congratulations on finding a tool that helped you achieve your goal.

Quite aware of this. However, eating at broader "everything in moderation" calorie deficit DIDN'T work for me... even with added exercise.

It always works, no one is immune to caloric deficit. Even when you're on keto and losing weight....you are at a caloric deficit whether you believe it or not. If you actually ate the same number of calories like you are doing right now not on keto, you would be losing weight. Keto doesn't directly cause it. By the way, I am not bashing on keto or on your choice, I don't care if one enjoys that diet or not. I just want to make it clear, because someone who is new to the world of nutrition and weight loss and reads what you wrote, they may end up believing that keto directly causes one to lose weight. Go around the forums and you will see how much bad information is out there.

Its pretty well established that insulin resistance and low carb and/or keto diets are a good fit (similarly diabetics). So for those who have those conditions, there are other variables to consider to maximize the ability to get in a deficit.

So its really not that beneficial to say that all yoi need to do is to achieve a deficit because while its 100% true, its rather difficult to do so with those conditions while being high carb.
    Good to know ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto those who said that the symptoms you described are caused by unbalanced electrolytes. Low sodium.

When you lower your carbs ( I'm assuming you aren't replacing your reduced sugars and starchy carbs with the same amount of carbs from veggies) you insulin drops. Insulin tells your kidneys to retain water and electrolytes, so when there is less you like water and sodium. You need to replace list sodium with 3000-5000+ mg of sodium a day. For reference, there is 2300 mg sodium in a teaspoon of salt. If you let electro,yes stay low you could get fatigued, headaches, moodiness, brain fog, nausea, bm issues, muscle weakness and spasms.
  • dmille2
    dmille2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Umm death?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    dmille2 wrote: »
    Umm death?

You forgot the winking smilie, right?
    ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    dmille2 wrote: »
    Umm death?

You forgot the winking smilie, right?
    ;)

Or the knife indicating that she was going to go Dexter on her neighbourhood. :bigsmile:
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    :o>:) Dark... LOl
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    :o>:) Dark... LOl

I may be projecting :laugh: