“Relaxed” weekends help with weight loss?

So I’ve seen a couple discussions/comments on here regarding being a little more relaxed with nutrition on the weekends and people saying they feel it helps them mentally get a break & they refocus on Monday.

In my case, I went over my calories yesterday, had alcohol, pizza, & woke up 1.5lbs lighter. Wondering if it could count as an unintentional “refeed”?

Obviously going off the rails for the hell of it would be detrimental for your journey/mentality. I guess I find people who are honest & say the screw up sometimes on the weekend & they’ve still lost more encouraging than seeing people who eat 100% 24/7!

Thoughts?

Replies

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Depends on how relaxed you mean. Going over your deficit allotment and eating right at maintenance won't have a negative affect, just no actual loss for the day. However going over considerably on the weekend, like 2000+ calories over maintenance, could be detrimental to your overall weekly loss.

Some people find it best to look at their calorie allotment as a weekly goal, rather than daily and allocate less over the weekdays so they have more room for treats on the weekend, while staying in appropriate deficit.
  • LauraSrock18
    LauraSrock18 Posts: 125 Member
    snemberton wrote: »
    Depends on how relaxed you mean. Going over your deficit allotment and eating right at maintenance won't have a negative affect, just no actual loss for the day. However going over considerably on the weekend, like 2000+ calories over maintenance, could be detrimental to your overall weekly loss.

Some people find it best to look at their calorie allotment as a weekly goal, rather than daily and allocate less over the weekdays so they have more room for treats on the weekend, while staying in appropriate deficit.

Exactly! My “relaxed” is eating around 1,900-2,000 calories when MFP suggests 1,750! That’s why I had to stop doing “cheat days”, I was eating 4.000+ calories just for the sake of eating what I wanted on my chest day 😭🤦🏼‍♀️

I think I’ve been unintentionally saving my calories during the week cause I typically eat 1,500-1,600 during the work week!
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Personally, my activity level shoots up on Saturdays especially, so I actually have more calories allowed anyway on the weekends. Between my workout, typically more intense on Saturdays, a light breakfast and a busy day doing yard work, I'm at about 1000 calorie deficit for the day still. I was able to have tacos, a brownie and ice cream tonight and still be well under for the day.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I sometimes see a big drop after alcohol due to a bit of dehydration (although in my case, it would probably be offset by water weight from the pizza lol). Either way, doesn't sound like you did any lasting damage. I tend to look at my calories as a weekly goal, as well.
  • LauraSrock18
    LauraSrock18 Posts: 125 Member
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I spent almost my entire 80+ pound weight loss journey eating at maintenance over the weekend (1 or 2 days depending) and eating less during the week.

This really helped me mentally. For cravings I'd tell myself just wait for the weekend. Then I could have my pizza, ice cream etc.

Eating this way I can enjoy my treats while still being mindful of my calories. Having a bite or two of yummy higher calorie items and stopping doesn't work for me. I admire those that can stop! I still would want more!

I do plan my food/treats and stay in control.

I still eat this way during maintenance and it's great for my lifestyle.

That is so amazing! I would love to chat more and hear other advice you may have if you don’t mind! Sent you a friend request. :)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I look at things from the perspective of one week (so, seven days). do not like the idea of a "cheat meal". To me, that sounds like the wrong mindset (and I am all about mindset). There are also things like a re-feed or a diet break, but I believe that you are not talking about either of those things.

Mindset. Ayup. I call it Brain Training. The brain doesn't really care what you do on any day of the week. Willpower eventually runs out. Cheat Meals, calorie shifting. This remedy says that Cheat Meals kick up your leptin levels, boosting the metabolism and actually speeds up weight loss. Cheat Meals can keep you on track. Eat until you're satisfied but don't stuff. Sounds good on paper. Cheat Meals for the permanent WIN.

"People who struggle with obesity simply do not have the same ability as normal weight people to "listen to their hunger cues". First, the obesity has messed up their hormones. Many are resistant to insulin making them eat more AND leptin making them unable to stop eating when they are full. So, telling obese people to listen to their hunger signals is simply impossible."
    Ana Reisdorf, MS, RD

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    My "cheat day" if I have one is eating at maintenance of 1750. I cant just eat whatever I want. That would easily be 3000+ calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I bank my calories so I can indulge and eat more on weekends (especially more carbs). It has definitely helped me get through this deficit so far.. I find I need that extra energy once a week and it pumps my gym performance. That being said.. I don't go too crazy, I pick my meals very wisely, higher carbs not too many indulgences.. so I guess you could call it a planned refeed. Most of the time at least!

The scale won't necessarily reflect this right away, if anything it usually goes up a bit come Monday then goes down again mid-week. I track my weight on a trend app so that helps weed through the fluctuations.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    I actually find it easier to build in some wiggle room during my workweek with its unpredictable mealtimes and multiple meals away from home that I have to plan for and often include meetings over food and be strict on my weekends. It's weird - somehow the freedom of my weekends allows better focus on things like food prep and having complete control over what food situations I run into than weekdays, so I do what works for me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I don't care as much about what I eat during the week. I eat out of need and if I happen to enjoy what I am eating that is a plus but I only really need to like it. That is not a mindset I am suggesting for someone else that is my personal mindset and it has been that way for as long as I can remember. As such, I bank unused calories for the weekend when I am relaxed, I have more time to cook or go out, and I will definitely enjoy my food more because I have time to savor it.

Recent activities (last 24 to 48 hours) that affect the scale results are not ones to focus on because those are usually temporary. If you are dehydrated from alcohol you will have a low reading that will bounce back when you are properly hydrated again. Just like if you have gained water weight it will show a high reading that will normally go back down in time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    snemberton wrote: »

Exactly! My “relaxed” is eating around 1,900-2,000 calories when MFP suggests 1,750! That’s why I had to stop doing “cheat days”, I was eating 4.000+ calories just for the sake of eating what I wanted on my chest day 😭🤦🏼‍♀️

I think I’ve been unintentionally saving my calories during the week cause I typically eat 1,500-1,600 during the work week!

I have always worked to my weekly goal
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    I practice intermittent fasting, or simply put, I skip breakfast on the weekends. Usually my two cups of coffee fills me up enough, and it allows me to have two decently sized meals throughout the rest of the day. I can't do cheat meals or cheat day, though. That *kitten* got my off the rails the first time around.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    There are some days that I intentionally go over my calorie target for a variety of reasons. It's often due to social events where I'd like to enjoy some birthday cake or have a glass of wine with a friend. I do feel that allowing myself these occasional indulgences helps me not feel deprived.

My rule for myself is to still track my food honestly. Even if over calories. I do look at the weekly tab often to see how I am doing on balance. It also helps me on one of those days where I went over calories to see that overall I am still on track. This helps keep me from going off the rails and giving up. It helps me stay focused to see the data.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    So I’ve seen a couple discussions/comments on here regarding being a little more relaxed with nutrition on the weekends and people saying they feel it helps them mentally get a break & they refocus on Monday.

In my case, I went over my calories yesterday, had alcohol, pizza, & woke up 1.5lbs lighter. Wondering if it could count as an unintentional “refeed”?

Obviously going off the rails for the hell of it would be detrimental for your journey/mentality. I guess I find people who are honest & say the screw up sometimes on the weekend & they’ve still lost more encouraging than seeing people who eat 100% 24/7!

Thoughts?

Let's say your daily calorie goal is 1500. 7 x 1500 = 10,500 calories. If you wanted to eat 1800 calories Saturday & Sunday, that leaves 6900 calories for the other 5 days (6900/5=1380). Do whatever helps you maintain a consistent calorie deficit. Weekly goals are fine.