Butter or Margarine

Options

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In general, worrying about the "better or worse" of one particular food is wasting a lot of energy on minutiae. Especially if it's something you don't eat much of. That way lies madness.

Short answer is it really doesn't matter. I'd check and make sure the margarine you chose does not include trans fat (partially hydrogenated blah blah blah) as that's probably the only thing you really want to try to avoid. Otherwise, use whichever you like better.

If a book is telling you to eat some specific foods and to not eat other specific foods, you should probably take it with a grain of salt. What matters is the totality of your diet. A little bit of butter or margarine isn't going to hurt anything if your overall diet is working for you. Do what you need to do to eat a nutritious-enough diet that makes it easier for you to hit your calorie goal before worrying about finer details.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold butter is delicious.

Amen! +1 to that. I put that in my BulletProof Coffee! Love it!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Butter
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

So many votes for that. I was curious about it and bought it, but didn't feel it was special. It felt tasteless like the cheaper butters we have and it wasn't as smooth and creamy as what I'm used to. Maybe because I grew up eating Lurpak which has a unique flavor and feels like it has more butterfat.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Going against the grain here, but I’ve say neither.

For me, this is the answer. I did purchase a Smart Balance vegan margarine about a month ago because I was thinking about making something that used it, but I ended up not making it, and it's still sitting unopened in the fridge. Give me olive or avocado oil any time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

So many votes for that. I was curious about it and bought it, but didn't feel it was special. It felt tasteless like the cheaper butters we have and it wasn't as smooth and creamy as what I'm used to. Maybe because I grew up eating Lurpak which has a unique flavor and feels like it has more butterfat.

Ya, Kerrygold is always on sale before St. Patrick's Day and doesn't taste any better than Cabot to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Use butter but in moderation, no more than one stick per slice of bread.

My OH managed to (just barely) have less than one stick of butter with steamers and lobster last night.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Love butter! (in moderation, of course) I grew up on margarine and the first time I tasted real butter I was in heaven! For cooking I also like coconut oil and olive oil.

During one really lean period in our young lives my husband worked at a margarine factory for a couple months. Just horrible. He said the process is pretty disgusting. He came home smelling awful and couldn't get the grease out of his hair or off his skin even after a long hot shower. So grateful when he got a different job. To this day he avoids eating margarine.

My daughter is dairy-free due to allergies so I will use Melt vegan butter substitute if I'm cooking something special for her like cookies or baked goods.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I know nothing about Nutelex. However, most margarines contain more water than butter and will affect how baked goods turn out. I would stick with butter for baking.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Personally, butter, but I’d go by whichever you like.
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Butter. I'm not going to the trouble of making soda bread to befoul it with margarine.
  • tanyamum
    tanyamum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm definately going back to butter. I did start eating it because it was natural so I think I will stick with that and thanks to those who gave advice about that stupid book 😁
  • tanyamum
    tanyamum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    delaclos99 wrote: »
    Butter. I'm not going to the trouble of making soda bread to befoul it with margarine.

How do you make Soda Bread, sounds yum.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    tanyamum wrote: »
    Good afternoon All. Question regarding butter or marg. I have used butter for years but due too a book I read "Eating Clean" it doesn't recommend butter. So I have switched to Nutelex for the moment. Have I done the right thing? Or is there another alternative? I dont eat much of it anyhow so should I just stick to butter?

no such thing technically
  • cloudsongs
    cloudsongs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and eat butter if you like the taste. These substitutes are usually worse for your health.