Worst diet advice/misinformation that you have heard

Options

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    When I go to the gym in July I see people with sweat pants with a hoodie, zipped up tight the hood tied tight around their head because...'you sweat more so you burn more calories.', They know this because they weigh themselves after they workout.

Well that's the most terrifying "how to die of dehydration" story I've heard all week...
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    Kullerva wrote: »
    Sugar-Free Gummy Bear Diet....

To be fair, anecdotal evidence suggests that this one really works, if the Amazon reviews are anything to go by... though I wouldn't recommend it for long-term success. :)

Isnt it like taking a laxative ?

The effect seems to vary depending on how sensitive the person is to the sugar alcohol. It's more like a colon cleanser before a colonoscopy.
  • BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    Options

To be fair, anecdotal evidence suggests that this one really works, if the Amazon reviews are anything to go by... though I wouldn't recommend it for long-term success. :)

They don't put the same sugar substitute into them these days so the laxative effect isn't as bad.
  • BrSpiritus
    Options
    It's more like a colon cleanser before a colonoscopy.

Funny enough the name of that stuff is "Go Lightly". There's nothing light about it. You feel like you're being sucked inside out through your *kitten*.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    LouisTamsi wrote: »
    It's more like a colon cleanser before a colonoscopy.

Funny enough the name of that stuff is "Go Lightly". There's nothing light about it. You feel like you're being sucked inside out through your *kitten*.

Ughhhg I schedule colonoscopies and wouldn’t dream of giving a patient Golytely...unless they’re very elderly or have severe kidney issues.

They’ve come a loooong way in preps. The one I give the most is Clenpiq. 2 5.4 Oz of liquid that come pre-mixed. Slug it down 6 hrs apart from each other. Bam.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Worst diet advice...hmm, probably the diet that won’t ever seem to frikking die: The Military Diet.
  • BrSpiritus
    Options
    Worst diet advice...hmm, probably the diet that won’t ever seem to frikking die: The Military Diet.

Whenever I see that one I just laugh. Go through basic then airborne jump training and after that you can tell me you did the military diet.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    BrSpiritus wrote: »

They don't put the same sugar substitute into them these days so the laxative effect isn't as bad.

But....fat free Pringles has it, so they work just like the original Sugarfree Haribo gummies.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The cotton-ball diet. I overheard some fellow students talking about it and honestly thought it had to be a joke, nope! Why?!?!?! Seriously, why would anyone think that this is even remotely healthy?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Another vote for "carbs are bad" here. Also, wearing a waist trainer will get you a smaller waist.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    That there's no such thing as moderation because moderation has too much wiggle room.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    When I go to the gym in July I see people with sweat pants with a hoodie, zipped up tight the hood tied tight around their head because...'you sweat more so you burn more calories.', They know this because they weigh themselves after they workout.

Well that's the most terrifying "how to die of dehydration" story I've heard all week...
    Exactly!! If my friend from my ”NPO Cardio” (Nil Per Os/absolutely nothing by mouth on the day of a workout) example did that, she’d be in a better place (details excluded to prevent breaking the ”no divisive topics” rule) sooner than she could SAY ”silks, ” let alone do a round on ’em!
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The "baby food diet". Apparently it consists of eating like a 4-month-old baby: a tiny jar of baby food every 4 hours (day and night).
  • TheGreatOldOne
    TheGreatOldOne Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Smoke cigarettes to boost your metabolism.

Endorsement of eating disorder.

People do it. People can become desparate to change and may take drastic measures when very upset.

Perhaps the bad advice works in part, or in conjunction with other things that are changing. Then, people get confused and pass it along with a good recommendation and evidence of success and promise.

And it repeats.

• LIBOR_cat
    LIBOR_cat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My top 3:

1. You cannot spot reduce
    2. It is okay or not okay to eat back your calories
    3. You need to eat at a deficit to lose weight
  • chloecola
    chloecola Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Keto.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    LIBOR_cat wrote: »
    My top 3:

1. You cannot spot reduce
    2. It is okay or not okay to eat back your calories
    3. You need to eat at a deficit to lose weight

How are these bad advice or misinformation?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Coconut Oil for the big WIN. Fat, fat, fat is where it's at.
    Wolf down grassfed butter with everything and stay sated.
    Fruit is worthless. There's nothing in fruit that you can't get out of a vegetable.
    Eat babyfood packs. Have you ever witnessed a 135 - 220 lb baby. Baby food is formulated for infants/toddlers.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    take this pill or drink this, you don't have to change your eating & you will lose weight. It's only $99
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Drink this magic concoction and you will burn 3lbs of fat overnight! I get e-mails on this *kitten* all the time...