Weight loss with out compromising breast milk supply

Options
I am breastfeeding and trying to loose weight at the same time how can I achieve this without compromising my milk supply for my newborn?

Replies

• googtoyou
    googtoyou Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was in the military when my oldest two were born and had to meet weight and fitness standards by 6 months postpartum. I did so both times while breastfeeding. I focused on getting lots of fruits and vegetables as well as proteins in combination with strength and cardio. It’s possible. I was told that breastfeeding consumed about 500 extra calories a day, so I’d eat some yogurt or peanut butter and grapes or other fruit as a snack. Good luck!
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    With my first, I pumped exclusively for 18 months. Don't know how I did that! But, I was able to monitor my output quite easily. I ate at maintenance, I lost weight quite consistently at a rate of 1 pound per week, and my output did not suffer. If I dipped below maintenance, my output would decrease slightly.
  • njboo
    njboo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I JUST put my pump away before I went in thus board. LOL I exclusively pumped for 13 months as well and followed maintenance like walking2running and managed to produce enough to even store. As long as you’re consistent with nursing/pumping, eating nutritious food and staying hydrated, etc. you’re body should produce :) feel free to add me and best wishes.
  • asherje
    asherje Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Baby #3 here, 7mo Postpartum on the 11th. With each I never was able to lose any weight while nursing, but Im really hopping to lose weight before his first birthday in December.

Well with #2 I was still nursing when I got pregnant with #3 so never did lose any of that weight LOL ugh.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    9 months post partum and still nursing & pumping. I've also heard that you burn about 500 calories a day breastfeeding. So I have been eating right around maintenance and it has been working for me. I find it really helpful to drink lots of water and eat lots of oatmeal to keep the supply up.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options