47.2 lbs in 175 days - is this doable?

Options
billdwyatt
billdwyatt Posts: 57 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
My 20th anniversary is coming up December 31st, 175 days from today. I weighed 165 when I got married and I'm 212.2 this morning. I have a desire to get back to the weight I was win I got married by my anniversary. That would be 47.2 lbs. in 175 days. Is this a reasonable or unreasonable goal?

Replies

• billdwyatt
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So I should expect no more than a pound a week? 47.2 pounds over 175 days comes to 1.888 pounds a week. Can it be done? Is it safe to try and lose this amount of weight over this period of time?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I mean, you can, but that would mean a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day, which may be doable now at your current weight (I weigh a few pounds more and this is my deficit) but the less you weigh, the harder it will be to maintain that deficit. I think that maybe 30-35lbs AT THE MOST would be a much more reasonable goal, and even 25lbs pounds lost in the next 25 weeks would be great.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I agree 25 lbs is about right. I’d also encourage you to start strength training 2-3 times per week and eat plenty of protein.

This is great advice, because even if you can lose the amount you want, you may find yourself not very happy with the aesthetics (skinny fat) if you just push for the quickest weight loss.
  • absygal88
    absygal88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well that comes to 25 weeks and about 1.88 lbs a week. That's still within a healthy weight loss each week. I definitely think you can achieve this. Just stay diligent and focused! You got this!
  • billdwyatt
    Options
    Wow... I'm overwhelmed by all the comments. Thank you! TheodoraLenihan, I'll be 58 this year. At my current weight and level of energy, I can't imagine coming close to your routine.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    An excellent explanation of how MFP is set up, calorie deficits, and the potential negative effects of under-fueling your body:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are asking, is it safe, is it doable? Probably, probably. What you're not asking, but should be asking, is it advisable? That's more complicated to answer. But some questions for you, to help you make a decision: How much weight lost will be an acceptable outcome for any amount of effort/change? What will you have to do to achive your goal - can you do it (in theory), will you do it (in practice)? Does your willingness to eat that much less/move that much more, match your desire to lose that fast? If you're so eager, why have you waited until now to start (you knew that anniversary was coming up)?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Depending on your height than can be dangerous, or just extremely difficult. I'm 5'7" and 172, I would like to lose another 20lbs, but at my height, 172 is starting to get close to ideal so it's going to take a lot longer to reach than if I were 4'7" and 172. Basically, I'm exceedingly happy if I can lose 3lbs a month now.

50lbs in less than 2 month, is unreasonable as you are not morbidly obese. Also, by setting a goal that is that difficult (and possibly dangerous) often leads to frustration and quitting out of frustration, which is worse than just losing less than desired.

My personal recommendation is 1lb a week and incorporate strength training into your exercise habits. While strength training may not lead to a substantial additional weight loss, increasing strength (particularly core muscles) can make you appear thinner (posture, and over time lessen the jiggle as muscle does a great job of holding everything in place).