How can I gain 4 lbs in one weekend!?

I'm getting really discouraged. According to my scale I gained 4 lbs in 3 days. I haven't cheated. I've been doing low carb low sugar. I worked out at the gym for an hour both Friday and Saturday and skipped yesterday. This always happens to me. I'll lose a couple lbs and then they come right back even after being good. I eat 1200 calories a day. Yesterday less. I only got in 1100 yesterday. I weigh around 240 so there is no reason I shouldn't be losing weight. I realize 3 days isn't a good time gap enough to weigh in again but I needed the motivation. I've been working so hard and I feel like nothing's changed. I've had my thyroid checked before, nothing wrong there. Wth. Any one else have this happen? Did you just keep pushing through even though you weren't losing any weight?

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    You didn't. Unless you somehow ate an extra 14,000 calories. I can vary up to 7 pounds day to day.

Are you being 100% in your tracking and logging? Weighing everything?
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Take a look at your sodium - I weigh daily - its pretty interesting to see what affects weight gain/loss - If it is going to freak you out don't do it though because stress can also add lbs.

1100 is low for your weight - sometimes too few calories make our bodies fight to hold what they have - relax and try eating as MFP recommends or at least 1500 - I lose steady at 1500 and was 227 when I started again this year.

for me - things that affect a weight gain like that are

1. retaining water (from sodium, exercising heavily, stress etc)
    2. building muscle - but usually not over the weekend
    3. not accurately counting calories
    4. alcohol - it makes me forget to log and munch - so its a double whammy
    Id really look at sodium out of curiosity - and then I'd wait and see how it is after I drank lots of water and ate better

Do up your calories though - just eat fresher healthier for now :-) You can do it - don't give up
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    There are a few things that may contribute to weight gain that are not fat gain. As a female, your monthly cycle can cause water retention as well. 3 days is not nearly enough to see a trend. Unfortunately, you have to give it a few weeks. There is no instant gratification with weight (fat) loss. It is a long, slow process.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Take a look at your sodium - I weigh daily - its pretty interesting to see what affects weight gain/loss - If it is going to freak you out don't do it though because stress can also add lbs.

1100 is low for your weight - sometimes too few calories make our bodies fight to hold what they have - relax and try eating as MFP recommends or at least 1500 - I lose steady at 1500 and was 227 when I started again this year.

for me - things that affect a weight gain like that are

1. retaining water (from sodium, exercising heavily, stress etc)
    2. building muscle - but usually not over the weekend
    3. not accurately counting calories
    4. alcohol - it makes me forget to log and munch - so its a double whammy
    Id really look at sodium out of curiosity - and then I'd wait and see how it is after I drank lots of water and ate better

Do up your calories though - just eat fresher healthier for now :-) You can do it - don't give up

you arent going to be building much if any muscle in a deficit and if you do its going to in most cases be a small amount but its not going to stall weight,its hard enough for women to build it in a surplus and takes time. there are a few exceptions but isnt going to happen eating 1200 calories and may not .

1500 is not going to be for everyone,either. upping calories is not the answer. if you arent losing there are reasons why,for many its eating more than they think and thats easy to do when you dont use a food scale,for some its eating back exercise calories that are inflated meaning they think they burned that many calories when in reality they didnt,sodium,waste,water retention can lead to seeing no loss on a scale for a short time. if someone is new to exercise they can also retain water to repair their muscles.I agree that 1100 is too low but if OP was truly eating 1100 she would be losing pretty quickly at her weight(no offense OP)
  • anewbeginning
    anewbeginning Posts: 53 Member
    I'm having the same problem. We had a barbeque on the 4th of July and I ate recklessly all day and the next. I managed to gain 4 lbs according to the scale. Ugh!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    I'm getting really discouraged. According to my scale I gained 4 lbs in 3 days. I haven't cheated. I've been doing low carb low sugar. I worked out at the gym for an hour both Friday and Saturday and skipped yesterday. This always happens to me. I'll lose a couple lbs and then they come right back even after being good. I eat 1200 calories a day. Yesterday less. I only got in 1100 yesterday. I weigh around 240 so there is no reason I shouldn't be losing weight. I realize 3 days isn't a good time gap enough to weigh in again but I needed the motivation. I've been working so hard and I feel like nothing's changed. I've had my thyroid checked before, nothing wrong there. Wth. Any one else have this happen? Did you just keep pushing through even though you weren't losing any weight?

low carb low sugar has nothing to do with weight loss. if you truly arent in a deficit you wont lose. and if you are really eating that little over time you would be losing quickly in most cases. weight loss is also not linear so some weeks you wont lose,some you may gain. water retention can be a big culprit for many reasons including that time of the month. when you work out your body will retain water to help repair muscle so that could be part of the issue. waste,sodium,etc can also cause it. how are you gauging how much you are eating?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Last weekend I had an Indian buffet Saturday night, hotel breakfast buffet Sunday morning, and a huge bowl of red beans and rice plus homemade cookies Sunday night, resulting in a 3.8 pound 'gain' from Friday morning to Monday. It was all gone plus some by Thursday morning.

If you don't already, I'd suggest using a weight-trending app like Libra or Happy Scale since you appear to be weighing daily anyway. Also, make sure your logging is tight and that you're eating enough to fuel your activity. 1100-1200 accurately logged calories isn't enough to be sustainable long-term.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Your body will take on cellular water in response to several different stimulus - hormone change, change in workout, change in stress, etc. all result in this - water weight. Just hydrate and realize that while your weight has shifted, it isn't fat and will go away in 5-7 days.

FYI - my water weight fluctuates ~5 lbs throughout the day and I can easily lose 5 lbs of water on a run, or gain just by hydrating or eating a salty meal.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Beer + TOM have added more than 5lbs to my scale overnight. It's water retention, not fat, so no worries.

Unless you had a few 20,000 calorie days, you didn't gain 4lbs over the weekend. It's just natural body fluctuations.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Because weight loss looks like this...

weighttrendgraph1.gif

You don't just lose weight in a linear fashion...it's up and down...ultimately you have to watch the trend over weeks and months...that's the little red line there.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    The numbers from the scale cannot be your main focus, you'll lose your mind. As long as your trending downward, it's all good. I weigh myself daily & I don't sweat the small fluctuations, good or bad. If it's a larger number (like the 3rd of July, I went to 2 parties & had a lot of fun), I can look back at my log & see where the problem occurred. I don't think you're eating enough to begin with. Too few calories & your body will fight to hold on to every ounce it can.

It sounds oxymoronic, but you have to eat enough to lose weight.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    You said you were doing low carb and then you said you were counting calories. Did you change from eating very few carbs to eating more and still eating few calories? I’ve done low carb (Atkins) many times. I would lose a lot of weight but as soon as I ate more carbs the weight would come back very very fast.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    The numbers from the scale cannot be your main focus, you'll lose your mind. As long as your trending downward, it's all good. I weigh myself daily & I don't sweat the small fluctuations, good or bad. If it's a larger number (like the 3rd of July, I went to 2 parties & had a lot of fun), I can look back at my log & see where the problem occurred. I don't think you're eating enough to begin with. Too few calories & your body will fight to hold on to every ounce it can.

It sounds oxymoronic, but you have to eat enough to lose weight.

no your body does not hold onto every ounce. look at those who are anorexic or starving in 3rd world countries. starvation is one thing,what you are describing is starvation mode which doesnt exist, also something called adaptive thermogenesis exists but it can be reversed. if you eat less than you burn you are going to lose weight.its how weight loss works
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    ITUSGirl51 wrote: »
    You said you were doing low carb and then you said you were counting calories. Did you change from eating very few carbs to eating more and still eating few calories? I’ve done low carb (Atkins) many times. I would lose a lot of weight but as soon as I ate more carbs the weight would come back very very fast.

even if she changed its just water weight bcause she would be gaining water and replacing glycogen stores. the weight loss in low carb in the beginning is depletion of water and glycogen stores. now if the carbs are putting her over her maintenance calories then yes she will gain weight, would be the same if she ate too much fat or protein to put her over calories.