What food has surprised you because of the calorie content?

Options
Good or bad, which or what food has made you rethink your meals?

Mine today was mince beef - WHERE ARE THOSE CALORIES LURKING?!

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I bought a premade salad at the grocery store today that felt really, really small and light for the calories. It must have been the dressing that brought the calorie count up, because I make a much bigger salad with a lot more chicken and veggies for that calorie count.
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Zoggo1991 wrote: »
    I bought a premade salad at the grocery store today that felt really, really small and light for the calories. It must have been the dressing that brought the calorie count up, because I make a much bigger salad with a lot more chicken and veggies for that calorie count.

Dressings are like the devil in a cream suit, aren't they?! Haha

Yes, for me the Dressing on salads were the surprise. I love caesar salad but needed to be careful on how much dressing i put in it because that would defeat the purpose in having a salad at all.
  • app_119
    app_119 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Tortilla chips. I'm not sure how so many calories fit into such a small shape.

I know! It’s crazy!
  • JohnnyQBelleville13
    JohnnyQBelleville13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    coffee creamer, not so much the amount of calories (I knew it wasn't 'good') but the fact that I was using 3 servings (105 cal total) and having at least 3 cups a day (at least 315 cal/day on just the creamer) meant it added up quick
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    In a bad way: Nuts, peanut butter, raisins, chips, mangos. Pretty much anything delicious and awesome.

In a good way: Chicken thighs (better than breasts, and not a huge calorie increase), berries, cottage cheese
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »
    I was surprised by how many calories I consume by adding milk to my morning coffee (3+ cups of coffee every day). I tried replacing it with almond milk and soy milk, but did not like the taste. However, I was able to switch the sugar I add to my coffee to artificial sweetener.

I was also surprised how few calories are in New York strip steaks.

But more so than the calories, I was surprised by how much sodium was in cottage cheese.

Yes! Totally agree about the NY Strip. And I love my steak, so I was super happy when I saw that. Not so happy when I saw the calories for the same amount of Ribeye LOL

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Fiber One breakfast cereal. The surprise is the low calories. I haven't tried it with milk. It's a perfectly handy little snack.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Crazy high per serving - whole milk yogurt, nuts, tortilla chips, any kind of sausage, wine :scream:

Surprisingly low per serving - neufchatel, sour cream, berries, popcorn, dark chocolate

For you salad dressing aficionados, try OPA by Litehouse. Blue cheese, feta dill, ranch, caeser - Creamy and delicious. Pretty low cal per serving and I can't tell the difference from the regular.
  • mariekenji26
    mariekenji26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    this vegan poppy seed dressing at 160 calories per 2 tablespoons. that's the calorie amount for a vegan burger yikes!
  • BoterhamMetPindakaas
    BoterhamMetPindakaas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly high: those little tomatoes. 31 kcal per 100 gram! That's more than strawberries, and strawberries are fruit! Guess I'll Just eat strawberries from now on..
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The sodium in celery! Seriously, celery is like negative calories LOL but that sodium....