What food has surprised you because of the calorie content?

Options

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    i echo the restaurant things. it's nice that they have to put calories on the menu's but that still leaves you with like...1-2 options under 900 calories in most places (other than green salad with salad dressing on the side for $10). :P I am REALLY hoping this means more restaurants will have decent food options closer to 500 in the years to come.

but more than that, we have fancy "healthy salad" places really pushing lunch crowds. Veggy salads and quinoa type salads. NOTHING under 500 calories. for a lunch :o If I am gonna go out and splurge 500 calories on a lunch it certainly will NOT be for a salad :P
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Zoggo1991 wrote: »
    Good or bad, which or what food has made you rethink your meals?

Mine today was mince beef - WHERE ARE THOSE CALORIES LURKING?!

Darigold Refuel Chocolate:

1 bottle is two servings(8oz).

But on the label they say 20g per bottle (16oz per bottle).

Kind of misleading, like comparing apples to oranges. A half bottle(8 oz) has 10g protein.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    A caipirinha! about 100ml of cacacha and a pile of sugar. Then a lime and ice. Well, it's a massive calorie bomb.
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Avocados continually surprise me with how calorie dense they are for being a fruit (and they surprise me for being considered a fruit). I can easily eat one a day, but they can be difficult to fit in sometimes, especially the large ones once you weigh them.

I'm also surprised often by what foods they make in "0 calorie" versions. The fact that a soda can taste good and be 0 calories still surprises me sometimes. They make 0 calorie salad dressings, chocolate syrup, and coffee syrups. Now, they might not taste any good, but they make them.... :D
  • chantelboudreau
    chantelboudreau Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Regal Cinema Nachos and Cheese. Ate it at a movie not knowing how many calories it was. 920 calories!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Bread is not bad, it depends which ones you get of course. I used to eat Country Harvest Protein bread, they were 110 calories per slice....but if you get the PC Blue ones, I think they are like 50 calories per slice.

I have never heard of those breads - are they a US thing, or am I just not being terribly observant?

I’ll sometimes use sandwich thins, but they don’t make a terribly satisfying sandwich. And with more normal bread, or a roll, once I’ve got two slices and a tiny amount of filling that’s my lunch allowance all gone and more and I haven’t even added butter or veg. It’s just not worth it.

So nowadays I buy nice bread when it’s on special offer, freeze it, and have a slice with my lunch as an occasional treat.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    On the low side for fast-food restaurant meals, I recently discovered Panda Express. I always avoided it because I thought it was loaded with MSG (to which I react negatively) and I wondered how good fast food Chinese could be. Surprisingly they do not use any MSG and it's really pretty good.

Most restaurants steer away from MSG because of all the negative press (much of it well deserved). Black mold on the walls won't drive away customers as bad as MSG on the menu...
  • qwebster01
    qwebster01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    peanuts
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Bread is not bad, it depends which ones you get of course. I used to eat Country Harvest Protein bread, they were 110 calories per slice....but if you get the PC Blue ones, I think they are like 50 calories per slice.

I have never heard of those breads - are they a US thing, or am I just not being terribly observant?

I’ll sometimes use sandwich thins, but they don’t make a terribly satisfying sandwich. And with more normal bread, or a roll, once I’ve got two slices and a tiny amount of filling that’s my lunch allowance all gone and more and I haven’t even added butter or veg. It’s just not worth it.

So nowadays I buy nice bread when it’s on special offer, freeze it, and have a slice with my lunch as an occasional treat.

I'm Canadian, since you're from the US, I would bet you can easily find low calorie breads...no doubt about it. You folks have more variety in the grocery stores than we do up here.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My daughter made an upside down pineapple cake the other day. I was looking at the WW app out of curiosity and one slice would have been like 26 points - ahhhhhh I then looked up the calories and found 400 for a slice which is still kind of high (but expected). What a difference though... I can have a slice while counting calories and not eat salad for the rest of the day to make up for it...lol
  • BlessedMom70
    Options
    Red Robin veggie burger - my go to when we go there.. I think it's somewhere around 1200 calories from when I checked a while ago. GEEZ
  • BlessedMom70
    Options
    Fiber One breakfast cereal. The surprise is the low calories. I haven't tried it with milk. It's a perfectly handy little snack.

Good mixed in with yogurt too!
  • TickleAnn
    TickleAnn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Angel Food Cake is relatively low in calories. A decent slice from the bar cake I got is 110 calories. The problem is not eating the whole thing.

Hershey's Lite Chocolate Syrup is a lifesaver for me. It has 20 calories per tablespoon, but it doesn't take much to make an impact and it satisfies my need for chocolate. It's so much better than the zero calorie stuff. I use it in smoothies and yogurt. I also make a banana split with a banana, yogurt and some of the syrup. It's satisfying and makes me feel like I'm getting away with something by having dessert for breakfast. It's not available everywhere. I've only found it in our Walmart SuperCenter and Fred Meyer (Kroger).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly high: those little tomatoes. 31 kcal per 100 gram! That's more than strawberries, and strawberries are fruit! Guess I'll Just eat strawberries from now on..

While I agree that strawberries are an even better bargain, not sure what authoritative database entry you're using for your cherry tomato counts.

The closest I've come are entries based on USDA standard reference entry for "red ripe tomatoes year round average" which comes in at about 18 Cal per 100g.

In any case both counts are pretty low, so it should be kind of hard for either to have a major effect on your daily balance!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    A tub of 0% yogurt with 10 to 20g of cereal and 2 to 5g of cocoa.

100 to 150g of egg whites added to 50g of eggs.

McDonald's vanilla cone (on average larger than advertised but still, not bad for ~250 Cal).

Wendy's small chilli at about ~200 Cal most of the time.

On the boo side? Muffins and restaurant salads!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options

I'm Canadian, since you're from the US, I would bet you can easily find low calorie breads...no doubt about it. You folks have more variety in the grocery stores than we do up here.

I’m in the UK. That’s why I asked if the breads were an over-the-pond thing; apologies for assuming you were in the US :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

I’m in the UK. That’s why I asked if the breads were an over-the-pond thing; apologies for assuming you were in the US :)

The only UK low calorie breads I have tried taste like pap 🤣
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Home made salad dressing - just oilve oil, balsamico vinegar, a little honey, a little mustard. HOLY HELL! And here I was thinking I'm just eating a salad, how many calories can that even be? Turns out, a whole lot, if you douse said salad in dressing ...