What food has surprised you because of the calorie content?

Options

Replies

• HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Avocados. I used to avoid them when I was "dieting". Now, I have them a couple of times a week. (Note: I used to try to buy the biggest ones I could find to "get more for my money". Now, I buy the smallest ones I can find for about 160 calories by gram weight.)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Not surprised but I am always disappointed at the number of calories in a tortilla wrap!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Not surprised but I am always disappointed at the number of calories in a tortilla wrap!
    Me too! Before I counted calories I used to get tortilla wraps as a "healthy" alternative to bread, when I eventually started pay attention to calories I discovered I was eating the same, if not more, calories by choosing wraps over bread.

Did the same with pitta bread.
  • mrslynda
    mrslynda Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    Me too! Before I counted calories I used to get tortilla wraps as a "healthy" alternative to bread, when I eventually started pay attention to calories I discovered I was eating the same, if not more, calories by choosing wraps over bread.

Did the same with pitta bread.

I am usually having two at time when I take them too work. Mostly because I get a decent amount of calories easily without being too filling. If I wasn't so active and didn't need the calories, I would be finding a more satisfying carb/bread option.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    On the low side for fast-food restaurant meals, I recently discovered Panda Express. I always avoided it because I thought it was loaded with MSG (to which I react negatively) and I wondered how good fast food Chinese could be. Surprisingly they do not use any MSG and it's really pretty good.

Most restaurants steer away from MSG because of all the negative press (much of it well deserved). Black mold on the walls won't drive away customers as bad as MSG on the menu...

Please tell me more about why MSG is bad. I thought all of that was debunked as bad science. Bad science with racist undertones even...
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    mram3582 wrote: »
    If you're sick just go ahead and drink the rum...Nyquil has 93 calories and 13 grams of sugar per dose...the rum has 65 calories for the same amount.

Solid.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Fiber One breakfast cereal. The surprise is the low calories. I haven't tried it with milk. It's a perfectly handy little snack.

Good mixed in with yogurt too!

Eat it like that almost every day. Hooray for Fiber One.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    On the low side for fast-food restaurant meals, I recently discovered Panda Express. I always avoided it because I thought it was loaded with MSG (to which I react negatively) and I wondered how good fast food Chinese could be. Surprisingly they do not use any MSG and it's really pretty good.

Most restaurants steer away from MSG because of all the negative press (much of it well deserved). Black mold on the walls won't drive away customers as bad as MSG on the menu...

Please tell me more about why MSG is bad. I thought all of that was debunked as bad science. Bad science with racist undertones even...

It was. The testing they did was a mess. They injected as much MSG in lab rats that they did when testing saccharine - more than any person could reasonably eat. The FDA has classified MSG as "generally recognized as safe," and it's in so much processed food now, it isn't even funny. Doritos, Pringles, frozen dinners, salad dressings, and on and on. There are some people who are overly sensitive to it, but it isn't a demon destroying our bellies as many would have you believe.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I don't get how one hot dog is 200 calories. It's not particularly fatty or oiky and chicken breast of equal ounce measurement is half the calories so where are all this calories from?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at you, granola.
  • Lipstick_n_lunges
    Lipstick_n_lunges Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter!!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options

It was. The testing they did was a mess. They injected as much MSG in lab rats that they did when testing saccharine - more than any person could reasonably eat. The FDA has classified MSG as "generally recognized as safe," and it's in so much processed food now, it isn't even funny. Doritos, Pringles, frozen dinners, salad dressings, and on and on. There are some people who are overly sensitive to it, but it isn't a demon destroying our bellies as many would have you believe.

Damn I never realised it was in so much stuff. No wonder it tastes so good :wink:
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

Yes. Like soy, it's not about the food itself, but the fact that it is in almost everything may be detrimental to our health. Everything in moderation, folks.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

May be just a US thing, but Xtreme Wellness High Fiber wraps @50 calories each are my favorite wrap even if I have room for a different wrap. they are soft but fairly strong and taste good. I have an easier time making a wrap or burrito that doesn't fall apart with them than I do with regular flour tortillas. When I was losing, i would reconstitute some PB2 and spread it on one and roll it up. That came out to 100 calories and is pretty tasty and filling.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I don't get how one hot dog is 200 calories. It's not particularly fatty or oiky and chicken breast of equal ounce measurement is half the calories so where are all this calories from?

Uhm, yes they are fatty. It varies by brand and variety, but the higher calorie ones get most of their calories from fat.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

Interesting. I stand corrected. I just poked around and the Mayo Clinic agrees that no good research has found a link between reported symptoms and MSG. Today's devils are gluten and GMO. About 10 people avoid gluten for every one that needs to and there is no solid science that says anyone needs to avoid GMO; in fact the benefits of some GMO crops are so great that the CDC, WHO and pretty much every science based health organization endorse the use of GMO foods.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »

Damn I never realised it was in so much stuff. No wonder it tastes so good :wink:

Doesn't MSG stand for Mmmm So Good? :smiley:

A couple that really surprised me: The calories in this mudslide drink I had over Easter. I looked it up thinking "I know this will be high calorie. Probably 450 for what I'm about to drink?. " I looked it up, and found it was more like 800. I didn't believe it could really be that high, and I just found a bad database entry. I then went out to the fridge and scanned the barcode just to be sure. Yup, 800 calories for 12oz (estimated). . Also I did not have a scale present, so it's likely my guesstimated amount of 12oz was probably different then what I really drank.
    The other is potato salad. While yes, I realize it's basically potatoes slathered in mayo & egg yolk, the amount of calories per serving gets me every time. I put what appeared to be a little less then 1/4 cup one time on my plate. I weighed it, gasped, put some back and was still out by 250 calories. Do they boil the potatoes in friggin' butter?!
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I was surprised by how high sushi can be in calories. And I thought it was going to be on the lower side. I have to budget my calories during the day if I want to treat myself to a few (like max 3) rolls of sushi. Don't get me started on the spicy mayo but that one is at least obvious. I use lite mayo,lime juice and sriracha for my dipping sauce for sushi when I order take out now. Less calories and almost as tasty :)
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    Bread is not bad, it depends which ones you get of course. I used to eat Country Harvest Protein bread, they were 110 calories per slice....but if you get the PC Blue ones, I think they are like 50 calories per slice.

I have never heard of those breads - are they a US thing, or am I just not being terribly observant?

I’ll sometimes use sandwich thins, but they don’t make a terribly satisfying sandwich. And with more normal bread, or a roll, once I’ve got two slices and a tiny amount of filling that’s my lunch allowance all gone and more and I haven’t even added butter or veg. It’s just not worth it.

So nowadays I buy nice bread when it’s on special offer, freeze it, and have a slice with my lunch as an occasional treat.

There's a bread I get in the US, at Whole Foods, called something like "Silver Hills 16-grain something or other." It's 100 calories per slice, with 6 g protein, and tastes great toasted.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The only real negative surprise to me was pasta and restaurant food. It's crazy how some places sneak butter into literally everything they serve.

Rice was a pleasant surprise, as I used to think my usual portion of rice was 200 calories. It is actually closer to 100 calories.