What food has surprised you because of the calorie content?

Options

Replies

• exhilen
    exhilen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Beer. I never ever drink calories and never have, so when I started drink craft beer, it got depressing real quick.
  • smcgrath45
    smcgrath45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was really surprised how many calories mini meatballs have. I'm not even talking about the homemade, cooked in oil kind, just the frozen ones I buy for my kids. 6 have 200 calories and they are so tiny, you can eat 10 in seconds. For some reason I had this mindset that cheese, nuts and all meat products were diet foods because of all the low carb movement. You really have to be careful.
  • ThereAreManyNames
    ThereAreManyNames Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A 4 piece Dairy Queen chicken strip or steak finger basket has 1400 calories, not counting any drinks. I used to get one for dinner, sometimes once a week because it was on the way home. I had no idea what I was eating, I could only do that now if that was literally the only thing I ate for the day...

What's crazy is that they sell a 16 piece now and I just know not every one of those things goes home to a family of four...
  • mcdonagk
    mcdonagk Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Counted the calories last time I went Drinking. Drink nearly 3000 calories and ate an extra 2000 from the Fast food pizza on the way home, O dear.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I just checked Five Guys Large Fries. Only 1314 calories :D
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Noooooo! :'( haha
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    mcdonagk wrote: »
    Counted the calories last time I went Drinking. Drink nearly 3000 calories and ate an extra 2000 from the Fast food pizza on the way home, O dear.

Wow! Gonna have to swap to neat vodka haha I'm kidding
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    High:
    - Butter (I used to always have loads of butter on my bread, sometimes I now go without)
    - Oils (just wow, this is the reason I bought measuring spoons)
    - Pies (not a big surprise, just higher than I thought)
    - Crisps (How can such a small amount of food be so high in calories)
    - Bread (seriously, what is in this bread!)

Low:
    - Crème fraîche (I've now started to add it to all sorts of "creamy" sauces)
    - Berries (I always thought these were high in sugars, turns out I was wrong)
    - Basic, plain vanilla ice cream (Because I can have two scoops of ice cream for under 100kcals)
    - Rice and potatoes (I suppose I'd listen too much to those people who say that carbs are evil, I was pleasantly surprised at how sensible amounts of calories a serving was)
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Zoggo1991 wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »

Noooooo! :'( haha

Right?! FG is pretty much the only "fast food" place that doesn't make me sick. Luckily I was trying to gain before, but now I'll have to pay attention lol!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Triscuit crackers ; they aren't terribly high but I thought they were much lower.
    Strawberries and blueberries are really low in calories.
    Pie - yes, I should expect it to be high but not as high as it actually is. Some of the oversized slices you get eating out are over 1000.