Butter or Margarine

Options

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Kerrygold butter is delicious.

Amen! +1 to that. I put that in my BulletProof Coffee! Love it!

So many votes for that. I was curious about it and bought it, but didn't feel it was special. It felt tasteless like the cheaper butters we have and it wasn't as smooth and creamy as what I'm used to. Maybe because I grew up eating Lurpak which has a unique flavor and feels like it has more butterfat.

See? PERFECT EXAMPLE of just how true the statement "We are all so very different" is.....I do not know what Lurpak is, but I am going to investigate (just because I am curious and like learning new things).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

So many votes for that. I was curious about it and bought it, but didn't feel it was special. It felt tasteless like the cheaper butters we have and it wasn't as smooth and creamy as what I'm used to. Maybe because I grew up eating Lurpak which has a unique flavor and feels like it has more butterfat.

See? PERFECT EXAMPLE of just how true the statement "We are all so very different" is.....I do not know what Lurpak is, but I am going to investigate (just because I am curious and like learning new things).

You might not like it because it's different, but that's what I grew up eating. It's made from cultured cream so the flavor is different and the texture is smoother, more velvety than greasy.

ETA: this is just a brand name, but what you should be looking for if you can't find it is "European style butter" or "cultured butter" to see what higher fat content and cultured cream do to the taste.

ETA2: We use cultured butter for eating, but for baking, we make sure it's also European style high fat.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

You might not like it because it's different, but that's what I grew up eating. It's made from cultured cream so the flavor is different and the texture is smoother, more velvety than greasy.

ETA: this is just a brand name, but what you should be looking for if you can't find it is "European style butter" or "cultured butter" to see what higher fat content and cultured cream do to the taste.

I just might.....I lived in Germany for several years after I graduated from University. I ate a lot of "interesting" things...those things were all "gross" until I tried them. And, I do follow Keto (as mentioned).
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I prefer butter, but I'm actually cutting down on the amount I use anyway. It's way too calorie dense for me to have as much as I used to.

For some reason I tend to prefer margarine for baking. I couldn't tell you why, except that's what my mum did, and for years I thought that that was what marge was for.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Real butter
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what Nutelux is. I’d say use whatever you want that works best with your plan.

I tend to like butter, and don’t use it much at all. I do like that it’s “all natural” and supposedly the body does better with things that are more “natural” in nature - but as my husband says, opium and marijuana is all natural too! LOL.

Use what works best for you.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I use margarine.
    Is cheaper, is more spreadable and tastes fine to me.

I don't use a lot - a standard size container lasts our household of 2 for couple of months and I am not trying to eat clean and I have no health issues so the nitty gritty of the ingredients list doesn't bother me.
  • tanyamum
    tanyamum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    delaclos99 wrote: »
    Butter. I'm not going to the trouble of making soda bread to befoul it with margarine.

What is soda bread and how do I make it?
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    tanyamum wrote: »
    Butter. I'm not going to the trouble of making soda bread to befoul it with margarine.

It's just bread that uses baking soda instead of yeast (or something else) as a leavening agent
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You do you, whatever makes you happy.

I choose butter, that’s what makes me happy, it’s tasty, butter made from cows that eat grass is even more yummy. I usually pick up Kerrygold because it’s found everywhere and is more affordable. No the cows not 100 % grass fed, and the feed supplements have gmo’s - this is fine with me, I don’t believe gmo’s are evil.

Kerrygold makes me happy, it fits in my diet.

If Margarin makes you happy, do it.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,117 Member
    Options
    I also don’t use either; I prefer nuts!

I use the following to get:
    Omega-9: extra virgin olive oil, avocado, or olives
    Omega-6: nuts or nut butters
    Omega-3: salmon & walnuts
  • tanyamum
    tanyamum Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    tanyamum wrote: »

It's just bread that uses baking soda instead of yeast (or something else) as a leavening agent

Thankyou
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    butter
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I use whatever fits the situation. If I'm baking, I use spreadable butter (is that similar to margerine?) because I'm too lazy to wait for butter to be soft enough to use.
    If I'm having fresh crusty bread and butter, I will go out and spend £4 on Finest Sea Salt Butter. Because that ish is amazing.
  • cash_mom1
    cash_mom1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I switched to using coconut oil. Once it's hard you can spread it on toast/bagels and it's delicious.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Grew up on margarine because it was cheaper. I'm so old that when I was a kid, the margarine came with a little packet of bright yellow food colouring that you mixed into it to make the margarine look more like butter instead of lard. :s

Once I actually tasted real butter, I never looked back.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    cash_mom1 wrote: »
    I switched to using coconut oil. Once it's hard you can spread it on toast/bagels and it's delicious.

Interesting. The coconut oil I use has no coconut flavor or scent. and I use it to saute, as I would a canola oil.
    To me, it would be like spreading Crisco on toast or a bagel. No thanks. I'll take the delicious flavor of butter every time.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The only thing I use coconut oil for is to pop popcorn. Doesn't taste like coconut at all, but gives the popcorn a delicious almost nutty flavour.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Butter, child...always butter.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    cash_mom1 wrote: »

I don't like it, personally. It's too oily and greasy for toast and only works in certain applications. I like to use butter when butter is best, oil where oil is best, and margarine where margarine is best.