Advice to losing weight with chronic fatigue and depression?

Hello, I have lost ~20 lbs in the past using this app but gained it back quickly! I recently found out i have hypercalcemia (excessive calcium in the blood) and hyperparathyroidism (overproduction of hormone in the parathyroid) and some symptoms are chronic fatigue, depression, bone pain, and more awful symptoms. Has anyone lost/is losing weight with any similar symptoms or illnesses? How did you do it?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Yes, no problem. I lost the weight I wanted to lose while in a pretty bad hashimotos outbreak and other endocrine health problems. It all comes down to eating less than your body needs to maintain weight. I do admit though that using a food scale consistently and logging precisely is more difficult if you don't feel well. Are you seeing a good endocrinologist?
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Yes, no problem. I lost the weight I wanted to lose while in a pretty bad hashimotos outbreak and other endocrine health problems. It all comes down to eating less than your body needs to maintain weight. I do admit though that using a food scale consistently and logging precisely is more difficult if you don't feel well. Are you seeing a good endocrinologist?

Yes I barely had my first appointment last week to go over blood tests. I'm hoping she is good. I've had an ultrasound showing a growth on one of the nodules so I've been reading up that once they remove it that my symptoms should go down a lot. But i'm hoping she will suggest removing it and not just medication.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    I have thyroid issues, and diabetes. High fat helps me a lot.

I see all these low fat diets that demonize dietary fat, and they make me sad, weak, and I quit after the first day.

Eating my peanut butter and coffee with cream keeps me energized and within my calories without being hangry and exhausted.

I don't think high fat works for everyone, but finding what works for you is the difference between success and failure.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i have something like fibro with sores and depression and anxiety.
    i try to eat nutritiously but at the same time i eat ice cream almost every night.
    habits are hard to break and make but i try to break not great habits, and make good ones. walk the dogs good. lay around all day less good. the more i move the better i feel.
    at the same time, if i'm having a hard time, i give myself a break and rest and eat at maintenance
  • Packergal27
    Packergal27 Posts: 11 Member
    Hello. When I first joined MFP several years ago, I lost 35 pounds in 6 months, but most of it came back. I have not gotten back to my all-time high weight, though, and I don't plan to.
    I have osteoarthritis in my knees, hips, elbows, and ankles, as well as the beginning stages of spinal stenosis (narrowing of spaces between vertebrae). I have been told that I will need both knees and at least one hip replaced, as well as have a hernia situation repaired, but both surgeons will not do the procedures until I lose at least 50 pounds. My knees and back give me the most pain, but recently my right hip has been complaining, too. I also have depression and anxiety, and am categorized medically as morbidly obese. :'(
    I am a fussy eater, and prefer carbs over anything else...and am pre-diabetic, with a diabetic husband (who doesn't really watch what he eats). I log every day, but am frequently in negative numbers by the end of the day. I hate to cook, so I tend to eat more convenience foods, but I do try to choose healthier options. I am a stress eater, and tend to pick up snack foods during the day while driving. I do not work, but I visit my elderly mother in an assisted living facility 4 days out of 5 weekdays, which is what brings on the stress most days. I am a lover of ice cream, pasta, and non-diet soda. I am trying to break the soda habit gradually by drinking diet soda and I recently found a sparkling flavored water that I like -- Vita Ice by Klarbrunn -- it comes in lots of flavors, has no HFCS, no sugar, no Nutrasweet, no calories, no carbs. It does have Sucralose, though.
    Because of the arthritis, I can not exercise like a normal person at a gym or Ymca (if I don't want to be in a lot of pain), so I count my movement throughout the day as my daily exercise on MFP. It is probably not technically correct, but it's all that I can do.
    I have not found the answer yet, but I do believe it is a LOT of trial and error. We all have to do what it right for us. When I eat a tricky food that is hard to guess by sight, I will either measure or weigh it. These are mostly pasta and cereal, and snack foods like Sun chips.
    I wish you nothing but the best in figuring out what is right for you and finding great success. I hope your endocrinologist can help you, too. God Bless!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    I struggle with anxiety/depression, and I am anemic. It's hard sometimes. A lot of the time I don't have the enthusiasm for it. I eat my feelings, so a lot of the time I just want to hide in the bedroom and eat ALL DA FOODZ. But since I started back into a healthy routine, food wise I have been doing really great for the past two weeks or so. For me, that routine schedule helps a lot. I also find making sure to only buy healthy things helps me eat better - out of site, out of mind.

When it comes to working out (my personal preference is walking), I am still trying to get back into the swing of it with that. But again - once I have it going, that train keeps rolling.

I have faith that you can do this! And if you want a friend, feel free to add me. :)
  • irwin2bnamom
    irwin2bnamom Posts: 3 Member
    TMI alert - no thyroid and no uterus. Struggle with energy daily even though thyroid levels are balanced now with meds. Never been right hormonally, always off. It effects my energy, mood and weight. I’m a joy. 😊 But I’m trying again. #notenoughmedsexisttomakemeright
  • anarchysdaughter
    anarchysdaughter Posts: 17 Member
    I struggle with anxiety, depression, and pain issues. I used to be on a very good gym and food regimen, but dealing with some personal issues had me avoiding the gym and eating my feelings a little bit more than normal for the past 6 months. Trying to get into a better mindset and better habits again, but it'd be nice to have some likeminded folks that have the same struggles to help keep me motivated, too. We are all in this together! Feel free to add me :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Sans thyroid for 18 years. Realize that getting to a normal weight may be the best treatment for you, meaning it's highly likely that things will get much better as you lose weight.

Hormones are free cycling, so being overweight makes it impossible to maintain hormonal balance. It's akin to dropping a furnace built for a 1000 sqft house into a 2000 sqft house and expecting it to work.