Belly fat

Options
I have recently lost 16 kgs of fat and manage to maintain it at 53.5 - 54.5 kgs. I am happy with my result but i havve a considerable amount of fat in my belly.
Im currently doing ChaLeane extreme. It has 3 weight training circuits, 1 interval training with a mix of strength and cardio and 1 cardio session. Im wondering should i add in more cardio sessions? Or this is fine.

P.s i am quite active at work. I go up and down a flight of stairs more than 50 times a day. I walk 1 km atleast. I eat around 1400kcal a day.

Should i do more cardio ? Or the routine i mentioned above is just fine.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Please keep in mind that you cannot spot reduce. If you are carrying around excess fat in your midsection, then you will need to continue to eat at a deficit to lose that fat. I think that it is great that you are working out, building muscle will definitely help to give you a leaner appearance as well.
  • brittanynicholex
    brittanynicholex Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can’t spot reduce as the above person mentioned, but a couple years ago when I was serious into weight loss, I always worked planks into my routine. While this didn’t magically poof my belly fat away it definitely helped with building and muscle and feeling like it was toning up. Then I met my fiancé and have been horrible about my weight loss journey and have gained almost 100 lbs(the 40 I lost came back and another 60 to boot) and am starting over. It’s definitely harder now than it was 60 lbs ago to start tho and I’ve been trying to not doubt myself.

Take it a day at a time, you’ll get there. It’s frustrating but it’ll happen.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    urshela111 wrote: »
    Please keep in mind that you cannot spot reduce. If you are carrying around excess fat in your midsection, then you will need to continue to eat at a deficit to lose that fat. I think that it is great that you are working out, building muscle will definitely help to give you a leaner appearance as well.

Hi. I am fully aware that spot reduction is a fantasy only. But i want to know whether cardio or weight training is more effective in incinerating the stuborn belly fat.

Neither is more effective than the other. You can't out exercise a bad diet. The only way to lose fat is through a calorie deficit. You can exercise and weight train to strengthen the muscle beneath the fat, and it will increase your resting metabolism by a very small percentage, but you still need to burn more calories than you consume so that you can decrease the fat.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options

Hi. I am fully aware that spot reduction is a fantasy only. But i want to know whether cardio or weight training is more effective in incinerating the stuborn belly fat.

You've just answered your own question. Neither is more effective to remove fat. Strength training will improve your muscle (it won't build it whilst you're in a deficit though) but that's not the same as removing fat.

Calorie deficit is what removes fat.

This is not true. It is entirely possible to build muscle while in a deficit.

• urshela111
    urshela111 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

You've just answered your own question. Neither is more effective to remove fat. Strength training will improve your muscle (it won't build it whilst you're in a deficit though) but that's not the same as removing fat.

Ah! you have a point with the muscle growth and caloriie deficit part. I am in a deficit and doing strength training. I dont think it will lead to any loss or gain.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight then calorie deficit is key. This can be improved with exercise, but exercise is not necessary to lose weight. Cardio is for heart health (hence the name) and weights are important for musculoskeletal health and improving insulin sensitivity. Neither are best for "stubborn belly fat" on their own. If you have lose skin from weight loss then time and resistance training may help some.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options

It is very difficult for a female on a 1400 calorie diet to be building muscle unless they are newb gains/ are specifically following a progressive lifting program, which the ChaLEAN program doesn't appear to be.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    what she said ^ neither is best for burning belly fat
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Ah! you have a point with the muscle growth and caloriie deficit part. I am in a deficit and doing strength training. I dont think it will lead to any loss or gain.

Most likely it won't but it will help you maintain muscle whilst you lose weight, and as you lose fat your muscle will become more visible.

I'd suggest taking a read of this thread https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    you can spot build muscle - which reduces fat. simple physics.

How exactly does building muscle reduce fat?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options

It is very difficult for a female on a 1400 calorie diet to be building muscle unless they are newb gains/ are specifically following a progressive lifting program, which the ChaLEAN program doesn't appear to be.

Difficult, but not impossible. You are contradicting yourself. With adequate protein intake and proper training techniques, it is still possible to build muscle while losing fat, they are not mutually exclusive.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited July 2018
    Options

Difficult, but not impossible. You are contradicting yourself. With adequate protein intake and proper training techniques, it is still possible to build muscle while losing fat, they are not mutually exclusive.

No I'm not, I was referring to the OPs specific circumstances. I am not arguing that in general it can't be done but OP is unlikely to be achieving this with what she is doing at the moment and that is what the OP is asking about, her circumstances.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

If you burn more calories doing cardio, then cardio is the answer. If you burn more calories doing weight training, then that's the answer. Likely cardio burns more, so I'd stick with that to help you maintain a deficit. But weight training will help build/maintain muscle, which can also help overall appearance once you do manage to burn away the fat layers. I'd say stick with both, maybe 60-70% cardio, 30-40% weight training. Keep up the deficit and be patient.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    you can spot build muscle - which reduces fat. simple physics.

When I'm building muscle in a surplus, I'm definitely gaining fat too. Not sure what you mean, maybe if you clarify