Replies

• sprit_if
    Options
    Yes another bread thread haha

I was just wondering what is better for you
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    hmm, good question, I'm not sure. But I'm sure we'll find out from someone smarter then me (ok, ok, no jokes please) soon enough.:wink:
  • missnovember
    Options
    i'm pretty sure whole grain is better for you. multi grain can be deceiving. i know that when you look at the ingredients, the 1st one should be wholegrain wheat flour. if it's enriched and fortified flour, they have taken out all the nutrition from it and added parts of the grain back. even a lot of whole wheat breads don't have any nutritional value if the 1st isn't whole grain. they just add colouring to make it look healthy. wholegrain is higher in fiber and your body can break it down better and use more of the nutrients. and fiber keeps you fuller longer.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    If it's 100% of either, than they are the same. However, most multi-grains are enriched flour with some grains thrown in.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Go sprouted. Awesome.
  • sprit_if
    Options
    If it's 100% of either, than they are the same. However, most multi-grains are enriched flour with some grains thrown in.

Ahh that's how mine is! I'm in college and living with my parents and they are going out of their way to make it hard for me to eat healthy! I try to ask for whole wheat breads and whatnot and they just keep buying white and multigrain. The only healthy foods that are in the house are lettuce, broccoli, bananas, and lentils and I guess the whole wheat bread.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Yes sprouted and whole or multi grains...

dd
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Yup, this can be tough to tell, as the advertising would like us to believe that they are all really healthy. I always look for whole grains in the ingredients, but this can also be confusing. Try looking for high fiber and low calorie - this usually points you in the right direction.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Yeah - if it doesn't say "whole" grain then they can leave out all the nutritious parts and still try to make you think it's healthy! And the fiber thing is usually very telling - the higher the fiber the better for you and the higher chance it actually has the whole grain and all the benefits. Sprouted bread is good too - I sometimes get Ezekial Bread at the local health food store.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    MMMM....I'm a fan of sprouted bread. I love Squirrely Bread. It's moist and chewy. And I buy a high fiber, whole grain bread. They're about the same price, about $3.50 a loaf, but such a treat.
  • laners90
    laners90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Either one you need to read the label, it should say say whole grains or whole wheat, it should not say refined. I make sure that my bread has at least 4 grams of fiber (helps to keep you full). I don't like the breads that have extra fiber added because they often start with refined wheat flour, which is not the same thing as whole wheat flour.

Miltons Whole Grain Plus is great, it has five grams of fiber and only 80 calories, and it has really good natural ingredients.