Insight on Fat Loss Training Programs

Insightful thought from a trainer I follow on social media:

"If you are on your 10th fat loss training program or have never graduated from the fat loss training program I doubt the fat loss training program is the issue. Act like an adult and be accountable for the other 23 hours a day. Eat and sleep like an adult and understand the reality of your lifestyle and how your body responds to everything you do to it."

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

"If you are on your 10th fat loss training program or have never graduated from the fat loss training program I doubt the fat loss training program is the issue. Act like an adult and be accountable for the other 23 hours a day. Eat and sleep like an adult and understand the reality of your lifestyle and how your body responds to everything you do to it."

Wow, how can anyone woo this?

Well, I didn’t because I get what they’re getting at, but the idea that you can do some “fat loss training program” for an hour a day and then “act like an adult” for the rest of the day is bad logic. Any program for fat loss that doesn’t *start with* and *center around* eating is a bad one. Adding in an hour of exercise a day is great for a lot of reasons, but the other 23 hours isn’t some kind of afterthought. The other 23 hours is the important part.

I think that's the point, no?

That would be my understanding also. The quote says "fat loss training program" He's saying you have to take care of business the other 23 hours also.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    No, I think the implication is that you do the work during the 1 hour and the goal of the other 23 is to not mess it up, but it’s hard without knowing the person saying it, their overall philosophy and the larger context of the statement. If you say that they meant that the rest of the stuff is far more important, then that’s great, that’s just not how I read it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    rj0150684 wrote: »

Wow, how can anyone woo this?

Well, I didn’t because I get what they’re getting at, but the idea that you can do some “fat loss training program” for an hour a day and then “act like an adult” for the rest of the day is bad logic. Any program for fat loss that doesn’t *start with* and *center around* eating is a bad one. Adding in an hour of exercise a day is great for a lot of reasons, but the other 23 hours isn’t some kind of afterthought. The other 23 hours is the important part.

I think that's the point, no?

That would be my understanding also. The quote says "fat loss training program" He's saying you have to take care of business the other 23 hours also.

But having seen/read some "fat loss training programs" most of them don't equip you for the time you're in the program much less for the other 163 hours a week.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What is a fat loss training program? Modules, courses, to learn skills on how to lose fat? Is there an exam at the end in order to graduate? I have no idea what that means. :/

I am curious about this too, you usually see "Fat Loss Training Program" when it's someone trying to sell people something, they're usually a pretty intense program that anyone new to weight loss is unlikely to keep up, so in my opinion the program is often the problem, as is the mindset that you need a fat loss training program as opposed to just eating less and moving more. That's why people do it 10 times and struggle again and again.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    A program that calls itself "Fat loss Training Program" but then goes around and says "well you need to also do the actual thing that causes fat loss" is like an online course that promises "Become a PhD!" and then tells you you have to enroll in an actual university and take it's classes.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What is a fat loss training program? Modules, courses, to learn skills on how to lose fat? Is there an exam at the end in order to graduate? I have no idea what that means. :/

My thought is that it's learning how to eat fewer calories than you use....the exam is possibly reaching you goals????

The quote taken as a whole makes sense though, the trainer was obviously refuting "fat loss training programs". Basically the long version of "You cannot out train a bad diet".
  • parrishdb71
    parrishdb71 Posts: 2 Member
    https://doctoryessis.com/2013/01/01/do-you-need-high-repetitions-for-strength/

Dr. Yessis is a widely cited kinesiologist. Experts like Dan John, Rob Shaul (Mtn Athlete), and Mark Twight (Gym Jones) refer to him when deciding rep count for a given outcome. Fat loss is stimulated by HIGH rep count (20-100X, 30-50% of 1 rep max) resistance exercise. Strength without gain of muscle mass occurs in the 1-4 rep range (@85% 1 rep max)