Any Atkins Diet success stories?

Options
mjc8080
mjc8080 Posts: 30 Member
Just seeing if anyone has had long term success doing Atkins diet? I am thinking about it, and wasn’t sure if it is a sustainable way of eating. Just seeing who has had good results long term by doing it. Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you open for other suggestions, or is it Atkins or nothing?
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Is it 1998 again?
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Is it 1998 again?

you couldnt really ask for "long term success" if it was the latest fad could you ? .... the diet has to have been around for a few years in order for the data to be accurate to whether is successful or not ;)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Rob Lowe seems to be a success story. That's what he says on the Atkins' commercials anyway.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I follow a similar program, but I include dairy and basically stayed in phase 1 induction for maintenance. It's been a few years now.
  • mjc8080
    Options

I am open to other things or suggestions, it's just that I am familiar with Atkins having done it way back in 2005. Had success but was tired of eating meat, and veggies and cheese and eggs after a while, BUT it did work when I was on it.
  • mjc8080
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Is it 1998 again?

you couldnt really ask for "long term success" if it was the latest fad could you ? .... the diet has to have been around for a few years in order for the data to be accurate to whether is successful or not ;)

Well to be fair, Atkins has been around since the early 1970's when he advocated a high fat, low carb diet, so that is more than a few years I would say.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mjc8080 wrote: »

I am open to other things or suggestions, it's just that I am familiar with Atkins having done it way back in 2005. Had success but was tired of eating meat, and veggies and cheese and eggs after a while, BUT it did work when I was on it.

If you know right now that you aren't interested in eating that way long-term, it may be more productive to lose weight eating in a way you know you can sustain.

It's relatively easy to many of us to lose weight. The hard part is keeping it off.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    Is it 1998 again?

Well to be fair, Atkins has been around since the early 1970's when he advocated a high fat, low carb diet, so that is more than a few years I would say.

Yup. I did it back in the late 70s. Lost about 10 pounds, going from middle of the "normal/healthy" BMI range for my height to the bottom of the range in about 8 to 10 weeks, but I couldn't stick with the restricted food choices beyond that, both because the summer ended and I had to go back to the school cafeteria and family dinners, and because I really didn't like a steady diet of pork rinds, bacon and eggs without toast, green salads with grilled chicken but no sweet or starchy veggies, and unsweetened iced tea or diet coke. That was pretty much all I ate. I regained the weight almost as fast as I lost it. YMMV.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

ANY weightloss diet works as long as you're on it, they are designed to (more or less covertly) create what's often referred to as a calorie deficit, or simply put, make you eat less, move more. So the secret is not finding a diet that works when you're on it, but finding a diet you don't want to come off. I have found eating what I want, just less, a sustainable approach.
    So the alternative suggestion is to eat anything you like in moderation.