Eating Guilt?

Options
13»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    "Food in itself is neither healthy nor unhealthy" so with this kind of thinking....chocolate has the same nutritional health value as...broccoli?

That's ...just a remarkable misunderstanding of the belief that foods can be neutral choices while still having different nutritional values.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I only go 1200 or under when making up for a binge or I just don't feel good.

I have a minimum of 5 more lbs to go but I am thinking I may go to a lower goal then I have currently have.

Again, without knowing more details of what your overindulgence was, I can't say this with absolute certainty - but eating over your maintenance calories at a family gathering is NOT a binge. Binge eating disorder is a clinical diagnosis and comparing eating a few hundred extra calories above your maintenance to the experiences of those with actual BED is inconsiderate at best.

Secondly, with 5 lbs left to go, even if you decide to lose more but it is less than 20 lbs; you should be aiming for a rate of loss of 0.5 lb/week. That rate of loss would likely put you at a calorie target over 1200 calories, thinking about how you are going to successfully transition to maintenance and what your long term plans are should be part of your consideration now - not feeling guilty about overdoing it at a family bbq and feeling like you have to make up for that. Family events, holidays, special occasions- these are all part of life. Don't you want to develop a healthy sustainable plan for how to cope in those situations, even when you aren't actively trying to lose weight?

To *me*, it was a binge. I was uncomfortably full and I didn't like the feeling.

The basic plan is to develop better self control so I don't eat like a cow and just keep the mantra of "it's not in my calories."
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I have a minimum of 5 more lbs to go but I am thinking I may go to a lower goal then I have currently have.

Again, without knowing more details of what your overindulgence was, I can't say this with absolute certainty - but eating over your maintenance calories at a family gathering is NOT a binge. Binge eating disorder is a clinical diagnosis and comparing eating a few hundred extra calories above your maintenance to the experiences of those with actual BED is inconsiderate at best.

Secondly, with 5 lbs left to go, even if you decide to lose more but it is less than 20 lbs; you should be aiming for a rate of loss of 0.5 lb/week. That rate of loss would likely put you at a calorie target over 1200 calories, thinking about how you are going to successfully transition to maintenance and what your long term plans are should be part of your consideration now - not feeling guilty about overdoing it at a family bbq and feeling like you have to make up for that. Family events, holidays, special occasions- these are all part of life. Don't you want to develop a healthy sustainable plan for how to cope in those situations, even when you aren't actively trying to lose weight?

To *me*, it was a binge. I was uncomfortably full and I didn't like the feeling.

The basic plan is to develop better self control so I don't eat like a cow and just keep the mantra of "it's not in my calories."

I think you need to revisit the overall mindset you have about food - you’ve made several concerning statements in this thread that suggest you may not have a healthy outlook on this.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Eh, I feel guilty sometimes, but my work outs usually make up for that. If I go all out and eat a bunch, then follow it up with no work out, I feel guilty, but I know that I'm lifting enough that the food is going to good use fueling those muscles.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I had what I consider a "mini binge" today. But if you look at my diary, it looks fine. Until you look at tomorrow. I have rolled forward several hundred calories. Tomorrow is a SUP paddling afternoon. I will probably paddle 8 to 10 miles on a slow SUP and burn up every bit of that. I am learning not to obsess over every day being perfect. If something comes up and I don't paddle tomorrow, I won't keep rolling it. I will watch the scale and adjust down if I need to. I am well below goal and there is no need to panic (I am convincing myself of this as much as explaining it).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Which is fine if you have a reasonable calorie goal. You don't if you are aiming for 1000.
  • gia_incognito
    gia_incognito Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Guilt is a way your brain can rationalize depriving the body of food. Try meditation/ urge surfing. Let it go!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    That's a dangerous way of thinking and yes, it is a bad thing. It's one thing to choose not to have something because it's easier without it, it's another thing to fear food. Why does eating cake make you a failure? You're failing to do what, exactly? Will one slice of cake have an effect on your weight management out of context? Why do you consider it bad, and is that justified out of context? Start there. When you dive deep into your reasoning you'll find that these are just restrictions to chose to arbitrarily place on yourself because you've been influenced by scaremongerers, not real facts.

I have lost more than 100 lbs and let me tell you, at no point in my weight loss did food guilt produce good results, physically or mentally.

^^^

A sustainable approach to weight loss is to look PAST the actual weight. Find a balance. Eat foods that make you feel good, yet allow you to be social. I am learning this too, but know that the obsessive thinking and guilt over "unhealthy" foods (no such thing) only leads to later consequences. You're in it for the long haul, so just enjoy life!