Ladies, that time of the month. Staying on track advice plz ?

Options

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    First suggestion, keep weighing yourself, you will learn your fluctuations and that they are annoying - but important to know. As for the TOM cravings, they will be with you while losing weight and beyond so my suggestion is to keep track so you will absolutely know what is going on and manage the cravings but don't try fighting them. There is a lot going on with our bodies at that time and adding another issue is not worth it ;)

For me, I would give into the moment or two with a better quality item - not grocery store candy or sweets I made myself go out of my way to the chocolate shop for my dose of meds . . . this also helped me manage amounts since it was not so easy to get and the cost helped keep me reasonable.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Sassyk35 wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't but I was just curious so I weighed myself again this morning & it reads that I'm up 3lbs since yesterday on the same scale wth ugh I drink over 70oz of water yesterday & my intake was less than 1800 & I did 9,000 steps.
    I really appreciate the support & advice it's just frustrating.
    I know it must be water weight I just don't really have anyone else to talk to about it that would understand. So thank you thank you thank you for listening. <3

The other possibility is you aren't pooping right now. If you're lower intestines have slowed down in response to your cycle, that could also cause the uptick.

I hated, hated my periods. I would get so ill. If I could hug my Mirena I would.
  • Sassyk35
    Sassyk35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't but I was just curious so I weighed myself again this morning & it reads that I'm up 3lbs since yesterday on the same scale wth ugh I drink over 70oz of water yesterday & my intake was less than 1800 & I did 9,000 steps.
    I know it must be water weight I just don't really have anyone else to talk to about it that would understand. So thank you thank you thank you for listening. <3

The other possibility is you aren't pooping right now. If you're lower intestines have slowed down in response to your cycle, that could also cause the uptick.

I hated, hated my periods. I would get so ill. If I could hug my Mirena I would.

I've actually been pooping a few times a day. It's so weit'd it gas to be water retention.
  • Sassyk35
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

Good point. Yes I track everything. Thanks :)
  • julie_bee_123
    julie_bee_123 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always get really annoyed because about a week before and during my period, I "gain" several pounds. But then for about two-four days after it's over, I drop all of the "gain" plus an extra pound or two super quick, and that extra pound or two stays off. Even though I know it's going to happen, it's still disappointing for that week and a half or so when not only am I not losing, but the scale is going up.
  • Sassyk35
    Options
    So I'm back up to my starting weight ugh. I've been eating well logging everything not going over my calories. Chugging water wtf is going on.... my period ended Sunday. I'm so frustrated.
  • Ktmom19
    Ktmom19 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this because I have the same struggles and I am going to try some of the suggestions others gave! The most difficult time for me to not go off the deep end with my eating is during that time. And then when I do make the right healthy choices and see the scale climb, kinda sends me in a frenzy even though I know the cause.
  • Sassyk35
    Options
    Ktmom19 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this because I have the same struggles and I am going to try some of the suggestions others gave! The most difficult time for me to not go off the deep end with my eating is during that time. And then when I do make the right healthy choices and see the scale climb, kinda sends me in a frenzy even though I know the cause.

Yes exactly same here
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just hit this point in my cycle and the last time I managed to get to the gym more so I managed to eat more but this time with the summer holidays I'm restricted. This thread is exactly what I needed ❤
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i bloat so i ignore the gain, and i typically eat at maintenance or someone might get injured.
    i'm a little gentler with my exercise too
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    ps i am eating emergency peanut butter cups right now and if MFP has a problem w/ it, they can talk to my uterus. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I have TimTams for that! And from personal experience, there's very little on Earth (if any) that's as powerful as an angry bleeding uterus demanding wine & chocolate.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    On that note I’m going to melt, 4 oz cheese and have that for a snack.
    Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
    Good night everyone!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    So I'm back up to my starting weight ugh. I've been eating well logging everything not going over my calories. Chugging water wtf is going on.... my period ended Sunday. I'm so frustrated.

I am just wondering how you are going about logging your food. Are you eyeballing, measuring using cups, or using kitchen scales? While it is normal to gain weight just before or during your period this weight will normally drop off once you have finished. Unless you are weighing all of your solids and using measuring liquids only, your logging could be inaccurate which could result in you eating more than you think you are. By weighing everything I also mean prepackaged food (it can be scary how much heavier they can be than indicated by the packet) and any condiments you use along the way. You should also be checking all entries against the nutritional label on the packaging or the USDA database to ensure accurate entries. As entries are user added there are some very inaccurate ones around the place.
  • 1991court
    1991court Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I track as I should, I don't care if that week I am over. Biggest Advice is Do Not Stress about it, that will throw your body more out of whack. Weight will fluctuate, drink water, count calories and of you so desire go on and eat your chocolate, just don't stress.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I pre-portion out my cravings and make sure I eat some of what I am craving each day. This past cycle was peanut butter, so I measured out 5 days of advance for peanut butter to eat with brekky each day into little containers then stuff that peanut butter jar in the back of my pantry. So only one day did I fish out the peanut butter jar and grab a spoonful, which is a win for me.

It also has the bonus of if I want a bit of pb at night, I can go scoop a smidge out of the next day's container, so I might be eating a bit less the next day, but I'm not usually adding to the total amount I eat in the week.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,400 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I only have a pill break every 3 months or so. That helps. Other than that I like repetition: I pack similar breakfasts and lunches for work and eat at the same times so when it's time for TO3M I just continue what I'm doing. I'm most likely busy with work anyway (or surf the net :D )

So for me this looks like:
    Drive to work.
    1 cup of green tea
    Breakfast either 2 slices of bread or oats with skyr, raisins and fruit after the first cup of tea, at around 09:00
    Second breakfast: 1 slice of bread at around 10-10:30
    Lunch: 2 more slices of bread at around 12:00
    Nibble on snack vegetables or fruits until I get home
    Then cook whatever I have at hand or warm up leftovers.
    Have a snack after dinner

By always eating at pretty much the same times, and similar things I don't even get downed by cravings. Works for me.

And yeah, TO3M waterweight: oh well, just part of being a woman I guess. I probably travel 1-3 times within these three months and have more reasons to store water temporarily.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    i use the Clue app, and i share it w/ my bf so we can both keep tabs on what's around the corner. he knows when i might need a little more sleep, a little more carbs, a little more salt and fat. and i get a reminder about when to be nice :#

I LOVE THIS! So insightful, thanks!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options

OP - how's it going?

I always see a stall in weight loss right before and through TOM - then HUGE increase when it's tapering off. I'm talking like 4-6lb fluctuation like you saw. Then it wooshes away within the next week. I eat at maintenance for a few days, usually the day before and first day of my cycle. I allow for a little more carbs in my macros. I use magnesium lotion and the cravings have been less intense.
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This is so useful to read, sitting on the sofa with my hot water bottle! My scales today said 2lbs up and whilst I know logically what the reason for this is, emotionally, it is hard to see. I struggle with patience, but I know that in 2-3 days time I will see the difference. Keep doing what you’re doing, you’ll be fine
  • Finkelstien
    Finkelstien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    my boobs hurt so much during my period that i can't excersise let alone walk the stairs or run a couple of meters. Hugs are out of the question and i need to sleep on my back.
    I am really glad i can function during the day.

And i also need some comfort food so i eat chocolate but i do plan ahead. So yes, there are some sweets but because i "allow" myself i do not go of the path completely.
    No excersise and more food and it's fine.