Are bodyweight workouts enough to achieve the "toned" look

Options
The title sums my question pretty well 😅

I kind of fear to go at a gym (even if I know no one's judging), and as I don't live the whole year at the same place I can't profit from the yearly fees reduction (and it's pretty expensive per month for a student), so I don't want to start paying for something I won't use 😕

Currently I'm trying to stick to the bodyweight workouts from an app called "30 days - Fitness challenge" four times a week, and running two times (around 6km).

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    probably, if you are also in a deficit to reduce your bodyfat?
  • jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you don’t need a gym membership to achieve the “toned look”. Body weight workouts paired with cardio can absolutely help to achieve what you’re after but you might want to incorporate other things too. Try some light dumbbells, kettleball, ankle weights and resistance bands too. Those are inexpensive and easily stored items that can be used at home to keep your workout fun and effective.
  • Trynyta
    Trynyta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    probably, if you are also in a deficit to reduce your bodyfat?

Yes I am, I'm currently aiming for 1300kcal a day, even if I still have troubles with keeping on track everyday. But slow progress is better than no progress ^^
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are in deficit. I have been primarily been relying on martial arts strength exercises (all body weight exercises) for awhile and it has toned me up pretty well in comparison to before I started. I'm not there on the 6 pack abs (it's not a big deal to me), but I believe it too can be done with enough crunches/sit ups/etc.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Go on YouTube, plenty of videos of fitness enthusiast who are toned from nothing but bodyweight exercises so yeah it's possible.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight workouts can be very effective.

That being said, it depends on your goals and your definition of toned, as well as your starting point. You basically want to progress over time.. however it can come to a point where bodyweight becomes less challenging and you will need to add weight or be more creative in order to progress.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt. I go to 9Round & other than station 2, where they have dumbbells, every exercise is just using body weight. I've lost over 50 pounds. If there's a 9Round near you, give it a shot, because the 1st workout is always free.