Walking?

jmg9656
jmg9656 Posts: 18 Member
Here’s the thing: does a walking regime REALLY work for weight loss??

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If you eat exactly the same amount as you always have - and merely add in a lot of walking (500 cal burn worth is a lot unless trucking, and even then talking hours) - you can lose weight.

As you lose weight though - you'll have to walk even longer if you want to keep eating the same amount.
    Burn less moving less weight around all day.

Generally though - if you were eating say 2500 daily - usually easier to find 500 in food to cut out.
    But maybe with walking as new activity - you only need to cut out 250, so even easier.
  • Time4me2day
    Time4me2day Posts: 11 Member
    I try to walk 3 miles a day, for me it's a way of decompressing the day. I prefer to walk at night. My goal is 10k steps. I sit behind a desk all day so walking at a moderate pace helps tone especially if you wear weights while doing so.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    One of the million reasons I love having my dogs is that I HAVE to walk every day, usually twice a day and ideally, 2 miles each. I've been doing this long before I started a calorie deficit and working out, so I don't eat back those calories, I just look at it as part of my daily routine.

And yes to the boosting of spirits and the fighting off of depression. Its just a great way to start the day with my goofballs. Until we see a rabbit and I regret everything.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    It worked for me but I also reduced my eating quite a bit. I lost 105 pounds and the only exercise I did and still do is walking. What I've found is that it seems to help reduce my appetite and elevates my mood. I generally walk a minimum of 8,000 steps per day. That's about an hour or less of walking.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    I walk every day to the gym, work out and then walk back. It's about a mile and a half each way. My legs are toned from the walking and i burn lots of calories. I don't eat my calories back. So, in my opinion, walking is a great exercise AND it aids in weight loss and overall toning.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited July 2018
    Walking burns calories and can help you maintain a calorie deficit which will lead to weight loss.

5p0ttol3f0ou.jpg
  • tinkerbellang83
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    I use a treadmill, the more I increase the incline the more calories I burn.

My sister would walk her dog, she was thin. Her dog passed away, she gained weight because she was not out walking the dog twice a day. She has a new dog and lost the weight.

Yes walking will help you lose weight, you must walk a distance and you can't eat it back.

Of course you can eat it back, a calorie deficit is already accounted for in your calorie goal from MFP, as long as you're not counting that walking as part of your activity level (i.e. when you chose sedentary/light activity/etc) then you can eat the calories back and still lose weight.

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    GRAPHIC REMOVED
    Tinkerbell, do you have a link or a larger version of that graphic? Thank you,

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    walking good. sitting all day bad. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    GRAPHIC REMOVED
    Tinkerbell, do you have a link or a larger version of that graphic? Thank you,

@DoubleUbea not sure if you're on app or web version but if you're on the web version you should be able to click onto it which will make it zoom-able or download it as an image.