Vegan/Plant Based not as effective?

Options
anicoletfit
anicoletfit Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit.
To maintain the muscle you currently have, you need to be eating enough protein (and strength training).

My thing is, i am interested in being more Plant Based but fear I would be taking a less effective route to lose weight (about 30lbs) since it is lower in protein than say something with animal proteins (kind of like paleo).
(In terms of the protein to carb ratio, paleo - or something like the paleo diet- seems more effective)

And I’m not a huge fan of tofu (not even sure if that’s good for you?) or Legumes...
And on a college budget, so organic, fancy stuff is out of the question.

I hope this makes sense?
Just wondering about the protein aspect since I am not big into soy and legumes or nuts.

(New to this plant based stuff!)

(Bonus: Any tips for what ‘diet’ is best for eczema and asthma?)

Replies

• anicoletfit
    Options
    Why are you interested in a plant-based diet? Is it because you believe it's healthier or is your stance ethical?

Some of both!
    My main thing is with eczema and asthma if plant Based/vegan is better for that.
    I really want to heal this inflammation (or at least reduce it), and all the research I’ve done suggests to go plant Based.

As of now, I would want to go plant Based for inflammatory purposes, just don’t want to be skinny fat from a lesser protein diet.

And it just seems like everyone says plant based/veg is best for inflammation, so that’s why I’ve been shooting for this opposes to a different “diet”.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    What about including fish in your diet? That would help with protein and the omega 3 can help with inflammation.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you had skin tests for allergies?

My husband has eczema triggered by dust mites.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I am losing weight on a vegan diet, so it is possible (at least for me). But it took a couple of months of evolution and experimentation to start seeing a change on the scale.

Have you thought about taking a less radical approach? Maybe experiment with more exercise and reducing (not too radically) your calorie intake, being sure to eat healthy foods you already like, with a focus on enough protein to preserve muscle mass.

A slow, experimental approach might also help with eczema symptoms. WebMD suggests there is no scientific consensus on an "eczema diet."
    https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/eczema/treatment-16/eczema-diet

For asthma, the Mayo Clinic has some good suggestions to try, none of them looking like radical, eliminate-an-entire-food-group ideas.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asthma/expert-answers/asthma-diet/faq-20058105

Good luck! College is stressful. Take good care of yourself!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    While I am NOT vegetarian or vegan, many days I don't eat meat. I also do not eat tofu. rarely buy organic. I still get above my protein recommendations even on those days. I just have to pre-log and find some "secret weapons".

I eat a lot of quinoa (in salad, in soup), lentils, black beans. slowly bringing almonds back into my diet. I make my own protein bars using high protein plant based protein powders. I shop at places like Bulk Barn to save money especially on lentils and quinoa.

I am not sure if you would eat eggs, but i find them to be a super good bang for my calorie buck when it comes to protein. Maybe see about finding some nice happy chickens living freely on a farm VS store bought (if the ethics are a concern).
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’m WFPB and lost weight with this WOE. There are many protein sources and you can absolutely build muscle. Do your homework, there’s tons of info out there. I’m a big believer, but we each need to find what works. It’s made a monumentally good impact on my skin.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Why are you interested in a plant-based diet? Is it because you believe it's healthier or is your stance ethical?

Some of both!
    My main thing is with eczema and asthma if plant Based/vegan is better for that.
    I really want to heal this inflammation (or at least reduce it), and all the research I’ve done suggests to go plant Based.

As of now, I would want to go plant Based for inflammatory purposes, just don’t want to be skinny fat from a lesser protein diet.

And it just seems like everyone says plant based/veg is best for inflammation, so that’s why I’ve been shooting for this opposes to a different “diet”.

I want to make sure you are vetting your sources of information appropriately. Would you please post a few links to where you are getting your information about plant based helping eczema and asthma?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've personally never had an issue with it. Have been vegan for a year and a half, I know I get less protein grams on average than on a meat based diet (not because I can't get more, more just the foods I enjoy and would naturally lean towards) but my performance, or weight change whether that be weight loss or gain haven't suffered as a result. It's all just pretty much stayed the same as it was before. Weight loss pretty much just comes down to calorie intake vs expenditure and of course you need protein to maintain muscle as you lose weight, but there are lots of plant based sources. There's no reason your progress has to suffer whether you choose to eat animal products or not.

If you don't like certain plant based proteins it may be harder, you're going to need some kind of decent protein sources but it doesn't have to be those ones. I never ate tofu or much soy at all (unless it was disguised a lot within meat replacements) for the first 6-12 months, it was only really the end of last year I realised I actually quite liked it! Taste buds changed I think, either that or I was just preparing it better! Either way, there are other vegan sources. Seitan is a great one, it's made from vital wheat gluten and has a really high amount of protein in, more than meat. Can be more difficult to digest - not really any fibre like other vegan sources! It also depends on how "healthy" / whole foods diet you wish to go. So I wouldn't recommend it all the time, but it's nice if protein is a bit low. There's also beans, and protein pasta's made from beans like black bean spaghetti. Also, nuts, seeds, chickpeas, lentils - blending up lentils to make like a "meat"loaf but you won't have the taste or texture of lentils on their own if you don't like that. Are there any legumes you do like, there's quite a variety and range of cooking them!

Doesn't need to be organic at all, and in general a whole foods plant based diet will save you money if you're on a budget :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I’m ovo/lacto veg and average 125g of protein per day, which is appropriately high for me based on my weight and goals. But, I have to work at it. I prioritize getting in my protein and often make food choices based on what I need to hit my macros (and that sometimes means not eating what I’d prefer to eat). It would definitely be easier if I chose to eat meat, but I don’t want to do that.
  • anicoletfit
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I want to make sure you are vetting your sources of information appropriately. Would you please post a few links to where you are getting your information about plant based helping eczema and asthma?

Mainly YouTube, and google, but I know some can be very bias, so I try to be aware but open.
    Plantbasednews