Working out while sore

Options
Just a quick question for those of you who are more experienced in the gym. I'm brand new with going to the gym, right now I go Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. Tuesday morning I work with a trainer. So yesterday was leg day, and this morning I woke up sore. I was planning on working on legs again tomorrow, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. So I guess my question is.... should I work out sore muscles, or should I focus on different body parts and wait for the soreness in my legs to go away before working on them again?

Replies

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Those more experienced with strength training would know best. I do two days of full body workout each week and cardio the other days.

Just wanted to pass along tips to help get past the DOMS. Four things that help me recover when I'm suffering from DOMS are Aleve, stretching, warmth and light cardio. Aleve, if you can take it, is my go-to anti-inflammatory. Stretch when muscles are warm for the best impact, but I've found that flexible muscles hurt less from DOMS. Maybe it's just me, but it helps a lot for me. Warmth, like a warm shower or hot tub helps the aching muscles as well. Light cardio or even just a good walk gets the blood flowing to those muscles and seems to help as well.

Some people like foam rollers too. I'm still working on that. It helps some, but not as much as the other stuff for me.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question for those of you who are more experienced in the gym. I'm brand new with going to the gym, right now I go Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings. Tuesday morning I work with a trainer. So yesterday was leg day, and this morning I woke up sore. I was planning on working on legs again tomorrow, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. So I guess my question is.... should I work out sore muscles, or should I focus on different body parts and wait for the soreness in my legs to go away before working on them again?

So, it really depends how advanced you are. Personally, I follow a 4-day program that alternates upper and lower: heavy leg day, back day, power leg day (lighter weight, higher rep and more individual muscle focus) and arm day. I never train legs two days in a row because of the weights I am lifting. However I am also going daily..if I were to skip a day between, I would not really worry about it since you have a day of rest in between.

As for the soreness, I would do cardio and stretches to loosen up the muscles, but focus on weight lifting for another muscle group especially while you are just getting started. Don't let DOM's completely derail your work out and discourage you from going to the gym though. Push through! You got this!
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This has really helped me with Delayed Offset Muscle Soreness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp94xQSqOrM
  • mehganlee7187
    mehganlee7187 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! The soreness isn't bad, just some tightness in my thighs when I sit down or stand up... Or walk. Lol. But nothing I can't live with
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! The soreness isn't bad, just some tightness in my thighs when I sit down or stand up... Or walk. Lol. But nothing I can't live with
    It might actually be worse tomorrow. I think after my first session with the trainer, trying to sit on the toilet and stairs were torture! I was sore for three days after.

Mine hits worse on the 2nd day after. Don't let that stop you from moving or doing your workout tomorrow though. It does get easier.