Acne

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Anything that changes your hormonal balance can effect your skin. Chances are your skin will adjust.
  • ChelleTrell
    ChelleTrell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Please be very careful before you start buying products or trying DIY’s and experimenting with you skin. I’ve read a lot of skincare suggestions here but no one has asked you to describe your skin (oil production levels, sensitivities, etc) and that information is important when recommending skincare. Everyone’s skin responds differently to ingredients whether it’s natural or chemical based.

I suggest testing any new skincare on the inside of your arm and then again on a small area of the face to make sure it’s not too much for your face. This includes natural skincare as we can be allergic to things topically and not know it.

Don’t switch back and forth between products or remedies as that will be too much for your skin and you honestly won’t know what’s doing what. When you find a product you like stick with it for at least a month. It will take time to see results. Our skin loves routine so keep it consistent.

Feel free to message me if you’d like more tailored suggestions.
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, go see a dermatologist. I wish I had done so 10 years ago instead of trying to self-medicate my adult acne.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    While I understand your hesitancy to visit a Dermatologist, if you can find a good one, it could really help you. I swore off Derms after my teenage years of very aggressive treatments that seemed worse than the original problem. 20 years later and Accutaine is still ruining my life. Then I had to start going again for annual skin checks for cancer and my acne was still very obvious.

The doctor really understood my problem with aggressive treatments and we've worked on a very sensible treatment that is really just down to a pill a day (specifically for hormonal acne) and spot treatments for breakouts.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Not always, but sometimes Acne can be a sign of something being out of whack on the inside your body whether it be a food intolerance, hormonal imbalance, or something else. I typically recommend to my clients to start with a 30-60 day elimination diet to see if the skin condition improves and if so, then to slowly reintroduce the foods that were eliminated to determine if a trigger can be identified.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    cutting out dairy didn't do anything for me. That's interesting about the estrogen being stored in fat cells. I have never heard of that before.

For me what helped was to just take care of my skin and stop messing with it so much. I use neutragena acne wash (the orange kind) morning and night, use an oil-free face moisturizer, and then leave my face alone other than that. My acne is hormonal, because I usually only get it right before my period every month.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I had a little bit of acne in high school (not enough to call it an acne problem) and it wasn't adult acne.. but I went to the dermatologist to get a skin cancer check and just mentioned it to her. She gave me a prescription facial shampoo that had sulfur in it (yeah didn't smell great) but I used it once and never got a pimple again. I recommended it to all my friends and family that had adult and teenage acne issues and it cleared them up as well. Worth making a trip to a dermatologist and asking them about it.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I’ve struggled with acne my entire adult life. I’m 35 now and still break out. Not binging helps somewhat but I still break out even when eating more reasonably. I was also using Proactiv skincare products before; it didn’t really work for me. Earlier this year I started a new skin care routine and it’s really helped. I still break out, but it’s one small zit per month that goes away in 2-3 days instead of 1-2 big ones constantly somewhere on my face.

1. Wash twice a day. I use neutrogena face wash for the most part but I also have cetaphil and dr bronners. I actually feel like the cleanser isn’t that important, but I use a small complexion brush for one daily wash. The other wash I just use my hands.

2. Witch hazel. Honestly I think this has made the biggest difference. Use it before or after washing, on a cotton ball and just swipe it all over your face.

3. Change/ wash the pillowcase on the bed every other day. Use a clean towel or washcloth every time you use one. Try not to touch your face or pick at it with your hands. Do what you can to keep bacteria off your skin.

4. I started using aloe vera gel after washing and it’s made a huge difference in the way my skin looks. It really plumps up the fine lines around my eyes/ between my brows. I can see a big difference when I don’t use it.

I have before and afters but I don’t know how to post them. It took about 3-4 weeks for it to get noticeably better.

Hi, which brand of witch hazel do you use?
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    I’ve struggled with acne my entire adult life. I’m 35 now and still break out. Not binging helps somewhat but I still break out even when eating more reasonably. I was also using Proactiv skincare products before; it didn’t really work for me. Earlier this year I started a new skin care routine and it’s really helped. I still break out, but it’s one small zit per month that goes away in 2-3 days instead of 1-2 big ones constantly somewhere on my face.

1. Wash twice a day. I use neutrogena face wash for the most part but I also have cetaphil and dr bronners. I actually feel like the cleanser isn’t that important, but I use a small complexion brush for one daily wash. The other wash I just use my hands.

2. Witch hazel. Honestly I think this has made the biggest difference. Use it before or after washing, on a cotton ball and just swipe it all over your face.

3. Change/ wash the pillowcase on the bed every other day. Use a clean towel or washcloth every time you use one. Try not to touch your face or pick at it with your hands. Do what you can to keep bacteria off your skin.

4. I started using aloe vera gel after washing and it’s made a huge difference in the way my skin looks. It really plumps up the fine lines around my eyes/ between my brows. I can see a big difference when I don’t use it.

I have before and afters but I don’t know how to post them. It took about 3-4 weeks for it to get noticeably better.

Hi, which brand of witch hazel do you use?

I use Thayer’s. You can get it at Target.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I had a little bit of acne in high school (not enough to call it an acne problem) and it wasn't adult acne.. but I went to the dermatologist to get a skin cancer check and just mentioned it to her. She gave me a prescription facial shampoo that had sulfur in it (yeah didn't smell great) but I used it once and never got a pimple again. I recommended it to all my friends and family that had adult and teenage acne issues and it cleared them up as well. Worth making a trip to a dermatologist and asking them about it.

I used to use prosacea which is a sulfur based product. It definitely cleared my skin but after nightly use for 4-5 days I would start peeling because it dries me out.

The tea tree I use now can also be drying but it’s a diluted product. I believe both sulfur and tea tree have antiseptic qualities that kill the bacteria causing the breakouts
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I would go see a dermatologist. All these at home remedies may not be what you need. I had cystic acne as a teenager and had to be on antibiotics and other treatments. They can leave huge pits in your skin if not treated correctly. Get a professional's opinion.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I third/fourth the witch hazel.

I have found for hormonal acne, depending on what type of skin problems you have, the dermatologist is a great investment. My face has generally been good because I wash it twice a day (neutrogena), use witch hazel as a toner, and have finally found the right moisturizers for my skin (I use light stuff as heavy stuff tends to get me too oily).

When I do get hormonal outbreaks (thanks menopause), I was using tretanoin (retin-A) from my derm, and although it worked, it made my skin quite dry. My mother had severe cystic acne (the kind under the skin), which I tend to get periodically during stress or cyclic changes, and her dermatologist, after extensive testing, gave her a prescription for clindamycin phosphate/benzoyl peroxide cream. On a recent visit I stole a tube and I have to say, the stuff is magic for me.

Note, this is NOT promoting using someone else's stuff, however, since hormones can be genetically linked (i.e., between me and my mom), I wouldn't have recognized how well this worked without trying it. As I don't have frequent breakouts, I never would have switched products. My derm gave me my own prescription.

If you have health care in the US, you can go for a yearly dermatologist appointment for a skin check, and ask for input from the doctor and get a prescription for your face if that is necessary. Shouldn't cost you much, if anything, depending on your plan, as long as it's an annual check. It's well worth taking your clothes off for your doctor to assure you don't have any skin cancer (thanks sun bathing) and getting facial treatment is a bonus!!!
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their replies and suggestions! Since I've made this post, my skin has cleared up a bit. I continued hitting my water intake, working out 5x a week and trying to stay in a deficit. I think my skin is adjusting, but it's a slow process. No big whoppers, though!

I read up on the estrogen released during weight loss.. very enlightening! I had no idea. But it makes a lot of sense.

Tea tree does help me, although I have to dilute with rose hip, otherwise it burns. It helps with so many other things too!
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    gcconroy29 wrote: »
    While I understand your hesitancy to visit a Dermatologist, if you can find a good one, it could really help you. I swore off Derms after my teenage years of very aggressive treatments that seemed worse than the original problem. 20 years later and Accutaine is still ruining my life. Then I had to start going again for annual skin checks for cancer and my acne was still very obvious.

The doctor really understood my problem with aggressive treatments and we've worked on a very sensible treatment that is really just down to a pill a day (specifically for hormonal acne) and spot treatments for breakouts.

Can I ask why Accutane is still ruining your life?

I first saw a Dermatologist at a very young age for acne, I was under 10. I have tried all the meds, all the creams, and all the lotions, all sometimes twice. I've been on Accutane twice. Now at 35 I only really breakout at my TOM or when really stressed, which makes sense with hormone fluctuations.

I always found it interesting that the first thing each new dermatologist (I think I saw 4 over the years, it's covered here in Canada), would assume I was wearing makeup, which I never did - makeup to me is some mascara! Some would immediately jump to a surface cause, and then look for a root cause, and prescribe. It was a major struggle in my life, but truly made me a stronger person. We are our own worst critics, and sometimes others don't even really notice it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are struggling with this. I have not had this problem myself but when my sons had acne in their teenage years we used zinc. I wonder if that might be any help at all to you? It does tend to help with infection in the body and strengthens the immune system. Just a thought...
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Kfrase83 wrote: »
    gcconroy29 wrote: »

I first saw a Dermatologist at a very young age for acne, I was under 10. I have tried all the meds, all the creams, and all the lotions, all sometimes twice. I've been on Accutane twice. Now at 35 I only really breakout at my TOM or when really stressed, which makes sense with hormone fluctuations.

I took Accutane in my early 20's... I did experience the mood swings which were a side effect but didn't tell anyone because it was working so well. It is some powerful stuff so am curious what long-term effects it has had as well. 20+ years later and I rarely get a pimple.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I would definitely wash your wash after every workout.

One reason I was breaking out was my skin was dry and trying to compensate. In addition to upping my water intake, I started using a night time moisturizer that was recommended by my esthetician. That made a big difference.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

My hair thinned dramatically when I took it and hasn't ever grown back. To be fair, I had very thick hair to begin with and still have what's considered thick, but I know that my ponytail holders started going one more loop around. I developed arthritis at 19 that was a very rare side affect of the accutane. I still have problems in one of my elbows from it. The depression I suffered while I was on it was very bad, but I was also 18 and away at College and didn't really understand that it wasn't normal.

In the last few years I've developed a lot of stomach problems that seem to be related to accutane. I've had to give up a lot of foods, but I've gotten by with managing that.

And the real kicker. I still have acne, I'm still on topical meds. Oh well, there are worse problems to have. People are suprised by my age and I swear its because of the acne. I always joke that bad skin is the true youth serum.