The fifth circle of hell...aka online dating

Options
Ck103084
Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
edited July 2018 in Chit-Chat
I have entered the fifth circle of hell...online dating :|

I don't have my full name or real town down. I've already been offered 1 number so I could be sent D pics, told I looked like someone this guy [slept with] :s and messaged by some old dude that said he can do the abc's with his tongue. I'm not sure what the hell he's talking about and I'm not asking. Oh, there's also a 'houseboy' looking for a woman, collar included. If anyone's interested I can give you his page... I've also met a few cool guys who might actually turn out to be friends. Maybe.

Wow. And I thought I was weird. Apparently, I'm only mildly off from normal. lol. Anyway, this is my first jump into the 'pool' any advice?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Seems like way too much uncertainty, lying, fake pics, half-truths, psychopaths, etc. to sort through to determine what is real vs. what is fabricated.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    STOP.
  • Venus_88
    Venus_88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I thought every one has their own collar lol
    I think a lot depends on the app you're using. If it is a free one there are more creeps out there.
    I have some good experience in online dating and see lot's of advantages of it, like you could get to know the other person a bit before meeting him/her in person.
  • Losingheather2018
    Losingheather2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh I've been there!! One time I almost met a guy who I found out just a year prior was arrested for rape, sexual battery, criminal confinement and the list goes on....He started acting weird and asking questions that made me second guess meeting him. I AM SO GLAD I DID!! There is a site called Doxpop.com and your able to do up to 6 FREE background checks a year. I know....it seems a little over the top trust me. But if I didn't do that might son might have lost his mom.....

There are pros and cons to it, just follow your gut, and weed through them until you find a good one!! Ask the hard questions. I always talked to them for days on the site before giving my number to them. If they didn't like that, they obviously weren't looking for a true connection.
  • BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I spent a couple of years and alot of money on eharmony only to be matched with a bunch of woman that were no match at all because they straight up lied on their profiles. I don't care how many points of compatibility there are, if one or both people are lying the system doesn't work. I gave up after 2 years and made a go of it alone and didn't date except for the Russian girl I met at work... she turned out to be a fruit loop.
  • Venus_88
    Venus_88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh! And when you go on a date make sure there is at least one person (friend/family mamber) that knows where you are and who you are meeting with. I was also leaving my dates phone number to my friend.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    online dating is tough. I had quite a few frogs before I found a nice guy. Background checks and google are your friend.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I actually met my now husband through online dating. I signed up for plenty of fish on a whim after a break up. He was only supposed to be a rebound, but now we are married with a son. From my experience, the free websites are just guys that want to hook up. When I was on match.com, the men were of more quality, but the chemistry just wasn't there for me for the guys I met in person. Good luck! There are a lot of creepers out there (online and real world).
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    I would say look for personality within what they put on their profile. A lot of times you can weed them out on that alone. Talk on the phone not just text before meeting. And do searches on social media accounts. I learned that lesson late....lets say his anger issues were plastered on his fb page. But i unfortunately found out about them after 50 texts back to back of hateful rants. be careful but have fun with it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    what sire are you using?
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    I tried online dating a couple of times. Match, and a couple of free ones. Got a couple of dates out of it, in the year I was on the first time. Second time, I couldn't handle the BS of the women, fake profiles, etc. and deleted my profile a couple of months in.

I think some have good success if they are very picky and patient. But, I had had enough with it all and just decided I'd rather be single and happily unavailable since most women don't understand my schedule or work life.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I tried online dating a couple of times. Match, and a couple of free ones. Got a couple of dates out of it, in the year I was on the first time. Second time, I couldn't handle the BS of the women, fake profiles, etc. and deleted my profile a couple of months in.

I think some have good success if they are very picky and patient. But, I had had enough with it all and just decided I'd rather be single and happily unavailable since most women don't understand my schedule or work life.

This was pretty much me, ended up well.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

This was pretty much me, ended up well.

Friends of mine have done well with it too. Some played the game, and used it as a catalog of potential conquests. For me, I just couldn't deal with the negatives of it. Add to it that I have two jobs where I'm on call, and have to leave at a moment's notice, most said they wouldn't put up with it. The couple who said they would, once it happened to them, they didn't like it.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    That being said, there are diamonds in the rough. . I've met some. . I've been on and off for years and I still am hopeful!