Muscle spasm, dvt and cancer

Options
I can’t catch a break this year. Currently can’t lift my arm or get dressed by myself due to “muscle spasms” in my shoulder which radiates down my arm to fingers. I thought it was a dvt as the affected arm turned blue and swelled. Went to the ER a few days ago. X-ray and ultrasound found nothing and no pinched nerve. Sent home with Valium and to take Tylenol.

I’ve been reading about electrolyte imbalances. What is a quick way to get these? More home remedy type since it is 3 am and I can’t sleep due to pain.

Should I just tough it out til morning to call the dr or wait for convenience store to open for Gatorade or juice?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if its an electrolyte imbalance then you need salt.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    How much salt are you consuming?

If you've gone to a home-made diet (fresh fruit, veg, roast chicken etc) with no added salt, you might not be consuming enough.

But 'blue and swollen' is odd ... if it is still like that, go back to the Dr.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    You seem to be jumping to worst case scenarios (dvt, cancer). If you're still in pain, stop trying to self-diagnose and see your regular doctor to explore other possibilities. The ER will generally rule out life-threatening and send you on your way. It isn't meant to replace your primary care.

i did wonder where the cancer part figured...
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ummm unless all these people are doctors ... you need to not listen to them and go see a doctor. If it is nutrition related, see a nutritionist. No one on here has access to your medical records, blood work, BP, etc. etc.

Go to the doctors today
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    You seem to be jumping to worst case scenarios (dvt, cancer). If you're still in pain, stop trying to self-diagnose and see your regular doctor to explore other possibilities. The ER will generally rule out life-threatening and send you on your way. It isn't meant to replace your primary care.

i did wonder where the cancer part figured...

Yeah me too! I don't immediately think "cancer" when I get a muscle spasm. I think "salt" and/or "water".
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You seem to be jumping to worst case scenarios (dvt, cancer).

They said elsewhere they had breast cancer recently. Arm vein clots can be related to that.

OP, call your doctor about it today. Don't take any supplements or extra salt without asking them.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

They said elsewhere they had breast cancer recently. Arm vein clots can be related to that.

OP, call your doctor about it today. Don't take any supplements or extra salt without asking them.

Thanks for the additional info; obviously that's relevant. I hope the OP is going to the doctor today.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Did you have lymph nodes removed on that side? If so, was lymphedema considered and ruled out (it would usually exhibit as swelling, but not usually turning blue)? ER may not have been as attuned to this possibility, but if there is lymphedema it should be treated quickly for best long-term results.

Frozen shoulder or related problems are pretty common after breast cancer surgery and/or radiation, especially if nodes were removed, but you should be able to get a physical therapy referral to help with that.

If lymph nodes were removed, or the problems are on the same side as mastectomy or lumpectomy without lymph node removal, it's possible for nerves to have been affected by surgery and cause pain, possibly by being triggered in some way, possibly because of nerve regrowth happening.

See your doctor - surgeon, if you have one, or radiation oncologist.

Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

If that's the case I would be at my doctors not on the internet.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did go to the doctor. She sent me for a second ultrasound, which was negative for blood clots. No explanation for the blue tint, swelling or pain. It’s really just painful now. I can barely get dressed and brushing my teeth is painful. The pain has spread to the other arm/side too and down my torso to the ribs. I’m barely sleeping.

I understand the internet is not the place to look for help in the circumstance. I still am wondering for quickie diy electrolyte fixes. I’m going to stick to my regular routine:diet until I speak with a doctor again.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did go to the doctor. She sent me for a second ultrasound, which was negative for blood clots. No explanation for the blue tint, swelling or pain. It’s really just painful now. I can barely get dressed and brushing my teeth is painful. The pain has spread to the other arm/side too and down my torso to the ribs. I’m barely sleeping.

I understand the internet is not the place to look for help in the circumstance. I still am wondering for quickie diy electrolyte fixes. I’m going to stick to my regular routine:diet until I speak with a doctor again.

Did you mention electrolytes to the doctor?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    I still am wondering for quickie diy electrolyte fixes.

For electrolyes, get Pedialyte from any pharmacy. It's comparable to the World Health Organization's electrolyte formula, and far better than any DIY formula.

Check youtube for "scalene stretch" and see if it helps. Cramping of the scalenes could cause the blue swollen arm & shoulder pain by compressing the subclavian vein.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention: Among my post-mastectomy close friends and myself - most of us either unreconstructed or with implant reconstruction - there are women who row (on-water and machine), Crossfit, weight train, and more. I've met others who've had more difficult own-tissue kinds of reconstruction who do equally active things. Your long term prospects for staying strong and active should be excellent, with minimal or no permanent activity restrictions.