don't know where to go from here?

Options
OK i know i have posted to you guys before about the lack of success!
but i have done what you suggested and upped my cals per day. i work out 3x week with weights and cardio and walk/pilates on the other days. i weighed three days ago and since then the scale says i have put on two pounds! this isn't possible right? its SO discouraging and it's jsut not going down! i am at my wits end!
thanks...

Replies

• gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    OK i know i have posted to you guys before about the lack of success!
    but i have done what you suggested and upped my cals per day. i work out 3x week with weights and cardio and walk/pilates on the other days. i weighed three days ago and since then the scale says i have put on two pounds! this isn't possible right? its SO discouraging and it's jsut not going down! i am at my wits end!
    thanks...
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    If you don't have much to lose, your body will definitely fight your efforts to lose weight. Otherwise, you may want to visit a doctor to find out why you're not losing. If you know 100% that you're doing everything right, that you do have a good amount of weight to lose, and nothing is changing... you could have a more serious underlying issue that is making it difficult to lose weight.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Hi Gilly
    How many calories are you having per day now?
    Are you eating your exercise calories?
    Are you drinking plenty of water?

Other thing to remember is that, you could be burning fat and building muscle, I know its frustrating, I had this recently too, I ended up stopping the gym altogether, and taking up walking for an hour a day and raising and lowering my calorie intake until the scale moved in the right direction.
    I'm not saying you should do the same, but different things work for different people :flowerforyou:

Also, make sure you're not having too much fat, sugar of carbohydrates in your diet - a good, healthy balanced diet is a HUGE must in losing weight.

Hope this helps, good luck, you know where to find me if I can help, or even if you feel like a rant :flowerforyou:
  • gilly88
    Options
    Hi Gilly
    How many calories are you having per day now?
    Are you eating your exercise calories?
    Are you drinking plenty of water?

Other thing to remember is that, you could be burning fat and building muscle, I know its frustrating, I had this recently too, I ended up stopping the gym altogether, and taking up walking for an hour a day and raising and lowering my calorie intake until the scale moved in the right direction.
    I'm not saying you should do the same, but different things work for different people :flowerforyou:

Also, make sure you're not having too much fat, sugar of carbohydrates in your diet - a good, healthy balanced diet is a HUGE must in losing weight.

Hope this helps, good luck, you know where to find me if I can help, or even if you feel like a rant :flowerforyou:

thanks!
    i am now at 1300/day + exercise cals. i drink 2L water/day and i always eat every exercise cal! i agree, i am thinking of changing my exercise routine completely and spending a couple of weeks not gymming at all but doing yoga and swimming, or something completely different to what im doing now.
    maybe i should also up the cals to 1400 since i am so close to my goal?
  • DMORTIFF
    DMORTIFF Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i have had similar experience in the past, when i started all i wanted was to lose weight as i got going i would start to lift weights and i was only counter acting the weight lose with weight gain. I had to focus solely on cardio running, cycling, treadmill, elipticle. When I get to my goal weight then i can focus on weights a little more, as i lose i still lift a little low weights with high reps nothing to pack on alot of muscle weight though and it seems to be working for me
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know what your weekly goal is. With 8 pounds to lose, I am assuming that your body doesn't want to change at all. If your goal is more then 1/2 a pound a week, with 8 lbs left, I would think that you are going to find it very frustrating.
  • gilly88
    Options
    I'm curious to know what your weekly goal is. With 8 pounds to lose, I am assuming that your body doesn't want to change at all. If your goal is more then 1/2 a pound a week, with 8 lbs left, I would think that you are going to find it very frustrating.

hmm. good point. well on the advice of people here i changed my goal from 1lb/wk (which i now realise was unrealistic - but its what was 'recommended' by mfp) to somewhere around 1/2lb per week. perhaps that isn't even sustainable though - maybe when we get to very near goal weights it has to be like a pound every three weeks or something...so you would advocate eating just under maintenance to lose more slowly? i think i will up cals even more to try this!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Try to remember, among other things, that a gallon of water weighs 8 lbs (+/-), so trying to lose 8 lbs, being female, is going to be a real trick.

You virtually can gain 8 lbs in a day and lose it overnight due to exhalation, elimination, etc.

Try not to be so hard on yourself, and do two things: Enjoy the process, and do this for HEALTH reasons.