Keto diet

Options
Hey everyone ๐Ÿ˜Š,
Hope everyone is doing good. Can someone please explain everything to me about the keto diet?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Google to find keto websites?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone ๐Ÿ˜Š,
    Hope everyone is doing good. Can someone please explain everything to me about the keto diet?

That is a tall order. Why dont we start with a few questions to you first?

1. Are you thinking about doing that?
    2. If you are, why?
    3. What are your current goals?
    4. Do you have any food allergies | intolerances?
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Perhaps instead of asking people to reinvent the wheel, head over to the Low-Carbers Daily group and read through the pinned posts there?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Eat very few carbs, usually under 50g a day, and replace those cut carb calories with fat - fewer calories if trying to lose weight.
  • stwida
    stwida Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone ๐Ÿ˜Š,

Keto, in essence, has goals no different than the goals of any other diet... Caloric deficit. What does this mean?
    In order to lose weight, we must put our bodies in what is called a 'caloric deficit'. Each day, our bodies burn a certain number of calories. This number is called out 'maintenance calories', as in, the number of calories you need to maintain your weight, aka neither gain/lose weight.

The ONLY way you will ever lose weight is if you are in a caloric deficit, that is, you consume less calories in a day than your body burns.

The Keto diet is simply a diet with extremely tight carbohydrate restrictions. It is called keto due to a bodily process known as ketosis - Google that if you want more information on it. But, essentially, the Keto diet just says "Hey, don't eat carbs, but you can replace them with things like protein and fat".

But guess what? You won't just start losing weight by not eating carbs. If you limit your carbs but up your protein and fat... to the extent that you're still consuming just as many calories as you previously were, but less of them are coming from carbs, your weight will stay the same.

The keto diet, like any other diet, has its success grounded in restricting your daily caloric intake. You can lose weight eating tons of carbs. You can lose weight eating no carbs. You can lose weight eating tons of fats. You can lose weight eating no fats. These are extreme examples, and there are consequences to literally eating 0 carbs or 0 fats (or 0 protein), but I'm assuming nobody is unintelligent enough to literally restrict any of their macronutrient values to zero for diet's sake.

Long story short, the keto diet is like any other diet, with its premise being that carbs are the macronutrient that it decides you will be limited on. Limiting carbs can put you body in a state of 'ketosis' (again, just google it), which is another, in my opinion, gimmicky trend to get people to lose weight. If you eat in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Regardless of the name of the diet. Period.
  • ramakrishnanpravin73
    ramakrishnanpravin73 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hey everyone ๐Ÿ˜Š,

Keto, in essence, has goals no different than the goals of any other diet... Caloric deficit. What does this mean?
    In order to lose weight, we must put our bodies in what is called a 'caloric deficit'. Each day, our bodies burn a certain number of calories. This number is called out 'maintenance calories', as in, the number of calories you need to maintain your weight, aka neither gain/lose weight.

The ONLY way you will ever lose weight is if you are in a caloric deficit, that is, you consume less calories in a day than your body burns.

The Keto diet is simply a diet with extremely tight carbohydrate restrictions. It is called keto due to a bodily process known as ketosis - Google that if you want more information on it. But, essentially, the Keto diet just says "Hey, don't eat carbs, but you can replace them with things like protein and fat".

But guess what? You won't just start losing weight by not eating carbs. If you limit your carbs but up your protein and fat... to the extent that you're still consuming just as many calories as you previously were, but less of them are coming from carbs, your weight will stay the same.

The keto diet, like any other diet, has its success grounded in restricting your daily caloric intake. You can lose weight eating tons of carbs. You can lose weight eating no carbs. You can lose weight eating tons of fats. You can lose weight eating no fats. These are extreme examples, and there are consequences to literally eating 0 carbs or 0 fats (or 0 protein), but I'm assuming nobody is unintelligent enough to literally restrict any of their macronutrient values to zero for diet's sake.

Long story short, the keto diet is like any other diet, with its premise being that carbs are the macronutrient that it decides you will be limited on. Limiting carbs can put you body in a state of 'ketosis' (again, just google it), which is another, in my opinion, gimmicky trend to get people to lose weight. If you eat in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Regardless of the name of the diet. Period