Stop exercising because of health issue??

Options
Starting weight was 420, I was obviously leading a very unhealthy life, bad food decisions and little exercise. I started exercising for 1-2 hours a day, drinking tons of water, and eating healthy. Lost 25 pounds so far, everything is great! BUT the problem is I have blood clotting issues, ended up in ER today with problems with my blood levels, caused by the sudden and drastic change in lifestyle (extremely elevated INR). ER said to follow up with primary doctor regarding exercise. But my doctors first appointment is not until August 8th!! Do I just limit exercise for 4 whole weeks? Or what should I do?

Replies

• Sweet_Misery_
    Sweet_Misery_ Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Go swimming. It will take pressure off your body. Did they advise you to take aspirin? That will help thin your blood.
    I have AS and RA and working out causes inflammation which makes them worse but if I don’t I’ll get fat and worse as well. So swimming is amazing for it. I also have a family history of blood clotting. My nephew had a stroke last year. He has to take aspirin daily. So does both my parents and nana and Aunty. All for clotting.

No, I take warfarin. Have been on it many many years.
  • Sweet_Misery_
    Options
    ipmac22 wrote: »
    Consider calling your doctor's office and see if you can ask if they can at least advise you on this. It really is best to get a health professional who knows your situation. I totally get your frustration, especially as you are doing well and taking care of your health. I'd hate for something bad to happen. My thoughts, focus a lot on your nutrition and food logging and keep everything you do as low impact as possible. And please see if the doctor will give you any advice prior to your appointment! Good luck!

Thank you, I will try again to call and see what they tell me. I called earlier but the receptionist said the Dr would need to see my ER paperwork before being able to tell me anything so just wait for the appt.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of exercise all of sudden for someone who was not used to it. I would continue but cut it down to less than half that amount and monitor yourself closely. And drink a lot of water. Most importantly, keep tracking your food intake accurately. You can still make good progress with CICO alone. My fingers are crossed for you.
    Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Interesting...I’ve never heard of someone getting blood clots from exercise, only from being too sedintary. I would call your doctor for advice and in the meantime dial it back to some easy walking (you are going to have to walk regardless and being sedintary isn’t going to help the situation either).
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing for 1 to 2 hours a day? That seems like a lot.
    I agree to focus on your food intake.

And great job on your loss so far.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with ipmac. Call you doctor to see what he or she would advise. She might say light exercise, like walking or swimming is okay before your appointment or she might want to exercise some caution if she thinks some tests are needed before giving you the okay.

GOT_Obesessed - It may seem like a lot, but for some of us with health conditions, you do what you gotta do. I try to walk at least an hour a day M-F (sometimes I walk more, but some weeks I totally fail) and do planks and light calisthenics, because my knee is wonky and I can't run or lift heavy.
  • Sweet_Misery_
    Options
    Thank you for all input!! I called again and was able to get in to see a PA next week. I will just hold off on anything except swimming and light walking until then I guess? Although I think the water is the majority of the reason for the change, water thins your blood and I went from drinking 1-2 cups a day to 9-10. I can't imagine I should stop that or limit my water also!? To clarify, no I don't have blood clots caused from exercise. I have history of blood clots in my lungs several years ago and have been on blood thinners ever since. My blood level (INR) should be at 2-3. On 6/15 when I last had it tested I was at 2.7, perfect. But I started exercising and eating less calories as of 6/19. Today it was 4.5. It's dangerous to be that high and can cause bleeding out. Can also cause many of the symptoms I went to ER for: excessive bruising, dizziness, shortness of breath, fatigue, etc. It's so discouraging and upsetting to think that I was doing so well and by trying to get myself HEALTHIER I caused this 😔
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ipmac22 wrote: »
    Consider calling your doctor's office and see if you can ask if they can at least advise you on this. It really is best to get a health professional who knows your situation. I totally get your frustration, especially as you are doing well and taking care of your health. I'd hate for something bad to happen. My thoughts, focus a lot on your nutrition and food logging and keep everything you do as low impact as possible. And please see if the doctor will give you any advice prior to your appointment! Good luck!

Thank you, I will try again to call and see what they tell me. I called earlier but the receptionist said the Dr would need to see my ER paperwork before being able to tell me anything so just wait for the appt.

Doctor offices around here have a phone nurse or a website where you can message with questions. Please get medical advice before going back to exercise or any medicine changes. Best of luck.
  • ShellyPru84
    ShellyPru84 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Drinking water doesn’t actually thin your blood. What has probably happened is when you are larger you sometimes have to have a higher dosage of medication. As you lose weight you don’t need as much. I imagine you just need a smaller dose and more frequent monitoring as you lose weight. Great job on your loss so far.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    This is a question for your doctor's office for sure. If you're US, see if your health insurance has one of those phone a nurse services if you can't get to your doctor.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Just eat under your daily allotted calories and wait to see the doctor. Not sure why people ask doctor related questions on here, but like 1 medical professional said go to the doctors and stop exercising and you want to find a reason not to listen to her/him by asking people on here? they have 0 medical background and probably mostly FB article knowledge- I say this cause they're giving you advice on what you should be doing against a medical professionals opinion and not telling you to go/wait to see your doctor.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    water water water - if your doctor ok's it - sometimes I would just float....so good for you. water is no impact but great for your health
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Well don't stop, but move towards exercises that aren't so intensive or risky at this time. Walking & light swimming are low risk and have good results long term.

Water is helpful, but as in all things, don't make dramatic changes. Implement small changes which will have a dramatic over time.
  • tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's the receptionists that don't let you see the doctor. You need to explain to them that you just went to the ER and it is imparitive that you see the doctor ASAP. Doctors usually always have some wiggle room in their schedule for imparitive appointments. Tell them that you know they have wiggle room.
    This is honestly unacceptable. I would find a different doctor who has wiggle room for after ER situations.
    Good luck to you.
    Honestly, In the meantime before your appointment, call/email the nurse or doctor at your clinic and ask them what you should do before the appointment. If that is not possible, call the nurse/doctor at the ER hospital you were at. Some one at either place should be on call.