I don't have access to the gym

Anyone else lose weight without going to the gym. Can you share what exercise you did?
I can't afford the gym right now.

Replies

• jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Try walking, jogging or jumping rope for cardio. Maybe purchase a lightweight set of dumbbells for arm/chest/back workout. Check out online videos for ideas on floor/chair/aerobic exercise you can do at home.
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Plenty of walking and ensuring you keep to your weight loss calories but do not use exercise calories to eat more
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    You can walk around the block. I have a friend who on his lunch break walks up and down the stairswell at his office.
    You don't need a gym.
  • onecookieshort
    onecookieshort Posts: 1 Member
    I use apps that pay me for walking - Sweatcoin and StepBet are both great.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I walk for cardio. For strength, I've purchased what I need (dumbbells, a mat, stability ball, etc.) I'm also training for a 5K.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    in 2015 i lost like 100lbs. the first 50-60lbs were lost strictly via walking. i ate fewer calories (at a deficit) and walked walked walked
  • spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    I would say lots of walking, running, Dumbells and look on you tube for videos to follow
  • emarific
    emarific Posts: 12 Member
    If you prefer more structured exercise, there are lots of yoga/pilates style videos for free on Youtube - look up 30 day yoga challenge and you can find them. There are also some good zumba instructors posting on Youtube too. Or you can check out your local Goodwill/thrift store for exercise DVDs
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    That is a good idea, thrift stores or "play it again Sports" for inexpensive used equipment. If she does not want to make that investment at this time that is perfectly fine, just walk.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Anyone else lose weight without going to the gym. Can you share what exercise you did?
    I can't afford the gym right now.

I lost 130lbs for the most part without going to a gym, simply by walking and hiking and eating properly. I also bought some cheap gym equipment for at home.

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Losing weight is not about working out but about calorie deficit. That said, you can do plenty of body weight exercises at home with absolutely no gym.
    Walking, running, planks, push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, etc.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Simply take it back outside and work UP to lifting heavy things.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Abs are made in the Kitchen not the gym! You can lose all the weight you weight without setting foot in the gym, eat at a deficit and just move.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    You can do cardio at home. There are workout videos online, look at fitnessblender. Or beachbody on demand. Countless others. You could walk or jog outside. I purchased weights for my home but you can do body weight exercises. Look up you are your own gym. Or there are videos online for that too
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Never been in a gym in my life. I walk and have free weights here.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I walked. As the weight came off, I started running. Not a big fan of the gym. I use the treadmill when it's below 10 degrees in the winter, because that's just too cold for me to run outside. There's lots of free exercise options to do at home via online videos that many people like, also. The most important thing about exercise is to do the exercise you like to do that you will do on a regular basis. You might have to try a lot of different stuff until you find something you want to stick with. Good luck!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight.

That said, exercise is good for the body and the mind and can help alongside managing your food intake in creating a calorie deficit.

For cardio there's walking/jogging/running/hiking/sea-swimming
    For strength training there's bodyweight exercises or you can use food tins/water bottles as makeshift weights or check out local 2nd hand sales for some dumbbells.

I left the gym just before I started my weight loss as it wasn't doing anything for me, I didn't enjoy it and it was so busy I didn't bother hanging around to wait for equipment to free up a lot of the time. Since then I've invested a couple of hundred euros in making a home gym over the last 2 years, that's the equivalent of a few months membership each year and I enjoy using it.