Trouble sticking to healthy eating/sabotaging weight loss goals

Options
So here’s my thing: during the week when I’m following my regular routine (going to the office, then gym, etc.) I have no trouble sticking to healthy meals and snacks within my daily 1400 calories. However, this summer I’m noticing that every time there’s a special event outside of the office or I’m out during the weekends, I give into temptations whenever there is a fresh plate of cookies for dessert, ice cream or burgers and fries. Basically if the food is easily within reach, I go for it and then feel terrible about myself the rest of the day. It can take me a few days to bounce back only to repeat this cycle. I feel as if I’m struggling with my weight loss plateau in taking these two steps forward three steps back. Thoughts/advice?

Replies

• malindalamay
    malindalamay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everything you have said. Try not to be so down about eating a few cookies! I try to really limit my calories on days that I know I am going out so that I can have a few glasses of wine or a dessert if I want one. Yesterday I had an apple for lunch with some of that Pb2 peanut butter so that I could go out for mexican food and not feel bad after. We are only human and if we don't let ourselves have treats then we won't stay on a diet!
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    i allow myself 1 homemade cookie, preferably warm, It is so much better than a second one would be and guilt-free. i do the same with french fries and tortilla chips, 1 and done. it is how i prove self-control mastery to myself
  • stfpa
    stfpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don’t think there’s much you can do other than muster up all the willpower you have to not give in to those cookies when you can’t fit them into your calories. If it’s just the occasional extra couple hundred calories, don’t worry about it though. As someone who used to eat fast food literally everyday (gross, I know) and snack on junk throughout the day, I know it’s really hard to resist but you kind of just have to sometimes if it’s not benefiting you.

If you know you’re going some place where you might be tempted to eat something you have trouble fitting into your calories, try eating a bit less everyday of the week to save up for those calories or exercising more.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself giving into these temptations, consider the following:

1) Among your conventional 'healthy foods', I also managed to find a protein powder that tastes just as good as a legitimate milkshake. It's so delicious, I literally look forward to drinking it after a workout, and having it after dinner satisfies me as much as any desert would. Due to the fact that I actually enjoy the food that I eat, and have found a healthy substitute to satisfy my sweet tooth, when I encounter junk food during my day, I am not tempted by it.

Curious what the protein powder is? :)

• teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I've been pretty much at target for a while and over the last few weeks have completely sabotaged myself. My problem is binge eating at home - it's like I need an audience to stop me! Like you, I can eat great, healthy meals through the day but then oh my goodness do the wheels fall off! Yesterday I'd had a great day - lots of walking, avoided the cake in the office (which looked amazing) and a lovely dinner. Then within the space of 30 mins I'd wolfed down another 2000 (yes, 2000, probably more) calories of crisps and chocolate. Am so annoyed with myself. It's not even like this is a rare occurrence now - I'm doing this 2 or 3 times a week now.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat I had 4 days of binge eating just after I hit the top end of my healthy BMI this is the 3nd time I've binged after getting to this point it took 3 weeks to get back to where I was then I binged again! Why? 90% of it was "in secret" alone in the kitchen even snacking while I was preparing a meal??? To the point I felt physically sick :( I've got a celebration in 3 weeks time and there will be a buffet and I know I won't be able to control myself as we go every year and I start off with the best intentions then crumble.
  • nadnan91
    nadnan91 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    nadnan91 wrote: »
    So here’s my thing: during the week when I’m following my regular routine (going to the office, then gym, etc.) I have no trouble sticking to healthy meals and snacks within my daily 1400 calories. However, this summer I’m noticing that every time there’s a special event outside of the office or I’m out during the weekends, I give into temptations whenever there is a fresh plate of cookies for dessert, ice cream or burgers and fries. Basically if the food is easily within reach, I go for it and then feel terrible about myself the rest of the day. It can take me a few days to bounce back only to repeat this cycle. I feel as if I’m struggling with my weight loss plateau in taking these two steps forward three steps back. Thoughts/advice?

I think the 2 things to realise is:
    • there aren't healthy snacks or meals, just an overall healthy diet - all of the things you've mentioned there can form part of a healthy diet in moderation, considering them "off limits" is more often than not, a hindrance rather than a help.
    • feeling terrible about having these foods is detrimental in itself, you basically end up in a horrible binge and restrict cycle (below seem familiar?) it's way too easy to feel like you're a failure but the long and short of it is, one meal/snack/binge isn't going to undo months of progress unless you let it. If you have a bad day, log it and move on, the majority of weight gain you see in the days following binge eating is mostly water weight. You'd have to eat 3500 calories above maintenance (not just above your calorie allowance for weight loss) to gain 1lb of fat.

43o2988rs667.png

I guess my problem really isn’t that I binge eat it’s more this intake of cookies and pastry isn’t helping me to further my weight loss goals yet I can’t resist. I’m trying to lose a pound a week and yet when I see these foods available I end up eating them and going over what my daily caloric intake should be if I want to lose weight.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I think the 2 things to realise is:
    • there aren't healthy snacks or meals, just an overall healthy diet - all of the things you've mentioned there can form part of a healthy diet in moderation, considering them "off limits" is more often than not, a hindrance rather than a help.
    • feeling terrible about having these foods is detrimental in itself, you basically end up in a horrible binge and restrict cycle (below seem familiar?) it's way too easy to feel like you're a failure but the long and short of it is, one meal/snack/binge isn't going to undo months of progress unless you let it. If you have a bad day, log it and move on, the majority of weight gain you see in the days following binge eating is mostly water weight. You'd have to eat 3500 calories above maintenance (not just above your calorie allowance for weight loss) to gain 1lb of fat.

43o2988rs667.png

I guess my problem really isn’t that I binge eat it’s more this intake of cookies and pastry isn’t helping me to further my weight loss goals yet I can’t resist. I’m trying to lose a pound a week and yet when I see these foods available I end up eating them and going over what my daily caloric intake should be if I want to lose weight.

So factor some into your day from time-to-time, if you know you're going to a special event - plan around it.

It's only going to stop weight loss if you're eating above maintenance. If you're set to a pound per week, that's a deficit of 500 calories per day, so unless you're going over by 500 calories a day every day of the week or 3500 calories over the week then you're not going to stop losing weight. It's the bigger picture that matters.

When I have an event like if I am out watching rugby in the pub on a Saturday, I know I am going to have a couple of drinks so on a weekend I don't have breakfast I have a light brunch before I go out, usually poached eggs and pancetta on toast or an omelette, which usually comes to around 400-600 calories that leaves me with the rest of my calories for the day for food and a few beers.

You can also bank calories from other days, so if you know you have a work meeting on a Thursday where there might be some cookies, you could eat 1300 calories rather than your usual 1400 Mon-Weds and then you have another 300 calories to spare on the Thursday.

You don't have to be perfect every day, you just have to try your best in the long term, weight maintenance is a life long thing. There are always going to be special events, pastries and cookies, learn how to manage them rather than avoid them altogether and it'll be a lot easier in the long run.
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat more on the weekends but I also save some calories throughout the week to enjoy my kaluha and milk, and some Doritos without feeling like I've ruined my progress.