One last shot at redemption before weight loss surgery

Options
sruv
sruv Posts: 27 Member
edited July 2018 in Introduce Yourself
I've been at this weight loss gig for more than 2 decades, volleying back and forth with 20 extra pounds. Most of my efforts have been successful, due to a passion for sports participation and even studying nutrition. During the past 10 years, it's all gotten harder -- creaky knees impacting mobility and some life events that knocked me right towards the fridge (no matter how much I know). Now I have 70+ pounds to lose, and I'm determined to make this happen - with surgery or without (preferred). I would love to have some friends on 1200 calorie plans (or thereabouts) who are trying to eat mostly whole foods so we can exchange food ideas. I'm also in search of friends who are exercising (extra points if you have failing knees!) by swimming, using weights, and other non-running forms of exercise.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you need to eat 1200 calories, or mostly whole foods, or exercise, to lose weight? (I did neither of those things.) Maybe you will have greater success if you stop thinking about weightloss as redemption for sinning with food, and start thinking about it as correcting the course by eating a little less, but every day?
  • nasr25
    nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    have you ever considered a stationary bike maybe that would help with your knee problem. I mention stationary bike cause i know you can adjust the tension so as to not overstrain your joints. If not than swimming is a great choice and its fun.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    I lost 70+ pounds at age 54. I only ate 1200 (plus exercise calories) for the first couple months. Then I was too hungry so I ate 1500 plus exercise calories for the rest of the weight loss. That worked out to 1900-2000 calories per day most days, with just an hour walking on hills. It took me eight months and I've kept it off by eating around 2200 per day. I'm 5'7" (or 8", depending on who holds the tape measure. :wink: )

Then a few years later, I lost the last 15 that I didn't really want to have to buckle down to do. That took a while, but I was already in my healthy weight range, so it was just vanity pounds.

I agree with kommodevaran, it isn't punishment. It does take time and acceptance that some days are easier than others.

Good life lesson. :)
  • lsutigerscage
    lsutigerscage Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My husband and I started using MFP just last month, so I'm a newbie. I am on the 1200 calorie plan, but I exercise 5-6 days a week so I am able to eat over the regular 1200 limit. We try to eat whole foods for 90% of our diet. We've been doing shrimp quinoa bowls, grilled chicken with fresh or lightly steamed veggies, very large salads with some type of protein (shrimp, chicken, fish), taco salads using lean ground turkey meat, etc. I've been trying to stay away from any red meat and I have really tried to make a conscious effort to really pay attention to the nutritional value of my meals. I've cut out all sugary drinks and now only drink water or coffee (one cup a day). I've always loved my fruits and veggies, but I also liked my burgers and fried foods. I will still have those things, but I am limiting them to my cheat meal (one day every 1-2 weeks right now). For exercise, I do a number of different things to mix it up. I use the Nike Training Club app because it's free and it really caters to your personal fitness level. Also, I will do runs, ride the bike, and I just startied doing weights by using dumbbells. For those workouts, I will search for YouTube tutorial videos and use those. I am following the Intermittent Fasting way of eating where I will only eat within a 6-8 hour window. This works well for me because I have never been someone who would eat breakfast anyway unless it was the weekend. I find that eating 1200+ calories to be more than enough when only eating within that window, and I am left feeling very full and satisfied after my meals. I haven't been dealing with any hunger pains and my energy levels have been wonderful. I've only lost 4 pounds in the first month, but I have lost a lot of inches. So even though the scale is not showing much progress, my measurements and clothes are revealing the truth. I hope this helps you in some way. Good luck!
  • sruv
    sruv Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you who shared specifics! It's amazing when you have time to plan your food and exercise that it's a whole lot easier to take care of yourself! I am so grateful to have the summer to work my plan and let my body feel what is and isn't working. @cmriverside - I appreciate hearing that you had to change your plan to add more calories after the first few months. @lsutigerscage - wow! Thanks for sharing all the specific details of what you and your husband are doing. When I was in nutrition school, a 90/10 (whole foods to personal choice) was also emphasized - and I am going for that too. I am definitely going to check out the Nike Training Club APP, as well. I'm also about to follow the advice I gave my own daughter - which is to put some weights in a visible area (such as the kitchen or dining room). It's not too difficult to get in reps while cooking, catching up with family, etc. Right now I am getting quite a bit of exercise in by swimming and some additional moderate exercise playing golf. Despite earning extra calories, I am trying stick to 1200, and only eating the extras if I feel hungry. @kommodevarankommodevaran - I'm glad your eating less plan worked out for you! Did you log your food on MFP, so you knew you were eating less? I'm so misguided on portions, that tracking is really necessary for me. I've never felt like eating was sinning and eating less was redemption, thank goodness! I hope you never felt that way.
    Self-shaming is never a good philosophy for reaching any kind of goal. @nasr25 - thanks for your stationary bike suggestion. Yes, I do have one -- and use this in the winter. It does help quite a bit with my knee -- a good reminder that maybe I should be using it in the summer, too! Thanks again for your replies - each one is appreciated!!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I don't plan my food nor do I food prep. I fly by the seat of my pants. I can't stand food prep. Who has room for all of those plastic containers. I would have to buy another freezer to make room for all of it and who wants to eat the same thing for a month. Not me. I like to mix it UP every single day by eating the foods that I enjoy.

You don't need WLS so you can get your portions in order. Get a set of measuring cups and a food scale. Pay as you go. Don't wait until the end of the day to track your food. Budget as you go along and simply track your data points. It's easy. Do this like it's your job and come back tomorrow.

soup+swap+soups.jpg.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    sruv wrote: »
    @kommodevaran - I'm glad your eating less plan worked out for you! Did you log your food on MFP, so you knew you were eating less? I'm so misguided on portions, that tracking is really necessary for me.
    Yes, I logged on MFP, all through weightloss, and several months into maintenance. But I honestly don't think I would have needed it - actually not sure, hindsight is both 20/20 AND skewed; I grew up almost being force fed so too much food was "normal" for me - my problem wasn't really knowing how much to eat, but not eating more than I knew I needed. It still is, actually, because I have room for more than I need, and I enjoy eating, and because it still feels "unusual" to stop before I'm stuffed, so I have to be diciplined and just assure myself that when I've eaten what I served myself, I've had enough, and stop.
    I've never felt like eating was sinning and eating less was redemption, thank goodness! I hope you never felt that way.
    In that case I misunderstood you, I'm sorry. I wasn't sure about which meaning you were using "redemption" in, and just feared the worst. There are so many people in here that feel they have to make up for enjoying themselves, and suffer through weightloss. I'm happy to hear you're not one of them :)
  • Junebug2022
    Junebug2022 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    I don't plan my food nor do I food prep. I fly by the seat of my pants. I can't stand food prep. Who has room for all of those plastic containers. I would have to buy another freezer to make room for all of it and who wants to eat the same thing for a month. Not me. I like to mix it UP every single day by eating the foods that I enjoy.

You don't need WLS so you can get your portions in order. Get a set of measuring cups and a food scale. Pay as you go. Don't wait until the end of the day to track your food. Budget as you go along and simply track your data points. It's easy. Do this like it's your job and come back tomorrow.

soup+swap+soups.jpg.

You feeding a Battalion with all that food??? Lol