Worked out after lunch, do I need to eat again?

Weird question BUT, I just had lunch at 12:15. I started working out on my legs and glutes at 1 until 1:30. It is now 1:40. Do I need to eat again or will my lunch be sufficient? I had a good high carb oatmeal breakfast at 8 30am with collagen protien, pbfit and chia seeds and berries. For lunch I had two eggs, 1 ancient grain toast with 1/2 avocado, a weighed out polish sausage and spinach in the eggs. I am still full and wondering if its even necessary to eat more?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    No
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Eating is overrated anyway.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Lol...no. You need to get in an appropriate amount of calories in your day...when you do that doesn't matter.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Meal timing doesn't matter. Overall diet in a day does.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    No but you want to make sure you are hitting your calorie goal especially if you are trying to gain weight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    Generally speaking I would eat something sensible and balanced within a couple hours afterwards.

Maybe even splitting your lunch in half if that doesn't effect you.

Eating light before a training session is usually a good idea and allows your body to devote energy to the task at hand and not to digesting a lot of food.

If that isn't for you, no biggie really, just something to think about.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    The pre and post workout isn't as important as we thought it used to be. If you're in some bodybuilding competition, then maybe you may have a very small edge over someone else, but for everyone else, it's not a game changer.

With that said, I still eat pre and post workout, because it's a habit I still can't get rid of,lol
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Are you hungry?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Brad schoenfeld says the more advanced
    You are the more important timing becomes

b67b0fo63zdo.jpeg
  • mmapags
    watts6151 wrote: »

b67b0fo63zdo.jpeg

He's right. And that would apply to maybe 2% of the total population? If that much?
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    In
    mmapags wrote: »

b67b0fo63zdo.jpeg

He's right. And that would apply to maybe 2% of the total population? If that much?

the the USA maybe, they have over
    110 million obese people so 2 % may be correct

I’ll hazard a guess that number would change significantly in other countries

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2018
    In

b67b0fo63zdo.jpeg

the the USA maybe, they have over
    110 million obese people so 2 % may be correct

I’ll hazard a guess that number would change significantly in other countries

So you think that there are a ton of advanced and elite athletes worldwide for which this would matter? But not in the states? Lol...
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    I feel like you don't have to be a member of the illuminati to benefit from a little carbs and protein after a heavy lifting session.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018

b67b0fo63zdo.jpeg

For context, Brad is presently the Sports Nutritionist for the NHL New Jersey Devils. I've seen that graphic before, and I believe it was in a presentation to his hockey players (notice the logo shirt he's wearing, and the use of "200 pound player" in the examples). So yes, he's addressing a group of highly elite athletes who are doing far more strenuous training than the vast majority of people.

I feel like you don't have to be a member of the illuminati to benefit from a little carbs and protein after a heavy lifting session.

Is it going to hurt anything? No, certainly not. But for the vast majority of the people, it's most certainly majoring in the minors and is going to amount to 1 percent of nothing in terms of results. Here's where Eric Helms places nutrient timing in the hierarchy of importance:

alfys3dazyhb.png
  • mmapags
    AnvilHead wrote: »

b67b0fo63zdo.jpeg

For context, Brad is presently the Sports Nutritionist for the NHL New Jersey Devils. I've seen that graphic before, and I believe it was in a presentation to his hockey players (notice the logo shirt he's wearing, and the use of "200 pound player" in the examples). So yes, he's addressing a group of highly elite athletes who are doing far more strenuous training than the vast majority of people.

Is it going to hurt anything? No, certainly not. But for the vast majority of the people, it's most certainly majoring in the minors and is going to amount to 1 percent of nothing in terms of results. Here's where Eric Helms places nutrient timing in the hierarchy of importance:

alfys3dazyhb.png

Exactly. The whole timing thing is just totally unimportant to the average person working on their fitness and trying to gain a little muscle mass. Elite professional athletes that are lean and trying to optimize their performance, maybe a little. It has nothing to do with being a member of the illuminati. Will it hurt you to do it the same way as professional athletes? No. Is it beneficial in any way, not really.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Exactly. The whole timing thing is just totally unimportant to the average person working on their fitness and trying to gain a little muscle mass. Elite professional athletes that are lean and trying to optimize their performance, maybe a little. It has nothing to do with being a member of the illuminati. Will it hurt you to do it the same way as professional athletes? No. Is it beneficial in any way, not really.

Another useful infographic, courtesy of Alan Aragon:

phd2ggpfzfwj.jpg

Let's put this into perspective with the OP. She did a half hour of leg/glute training 45 minutes after eating lunch. She's not an advanced/elite bodybuilder, the workout is not extreme/exhaustive and she was in an adequately fed state (had already eaten two meals that day). Her "anabolic window" in terms of feeding isn't a 'window', it's about the size of a giant barn door.