not losing pounds, help?

Options
So i've been calorie counting on here for about 6 weeks now, not exercising as much as i could, but eating healthly. In the 6 weeks i've had about 4 cheat days (i was on holiday and there didnt seem to be any healthy options anywhere!) Apart from that, i've stuck to eating my 1200 calorie net everyday, but with hardly any loss (2 pounds - ignore the ticker..) i take my measurements to and have seen a tiny change, but im starting to get annoyed..
Anyone else have this? 30 pounds to lose, and at this rate i'll be here til christmas 2012..

Someone, please, help? :frown:

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    hang in there.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You HAVE TO exercise. Sorry, but you do!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough, believe it or not! Unless you have more than 100 lbs to lose, you should change your weekly weight loss goal to 1 lb. That will give you 500 more calories/day. This is set an automatic deficit to help you lose 1 lb/week. Any exercise you do, you earn extra calories to eat--MFP calculates that for you when you enter the exercise. EAT THE EXTRA CALORIES.

You will lose. Trust! You won't even need "cheat" days when you have the right amount of calories; you won't be hungry!

Give it a shot--you've had 6 weeks with no luck--THIS will do it for you.

Here's a link that gives a nice explanation of why:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.
  • shashaz2002
    Options
    I think you need to measure all your food, sometimes we get "portion distortion" and eat much more than we think.

Maybe you should up your calories a little bit? Hang in there.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Not actually required for weight loss. It helps quite a bit with metabolism and generating lean muscle which burns fat better, but it won't stop you.
  • Rworthy
    Options

Not actually required for weight loss. It helps quite a bit with metabolism and generating lean muscle which burns fat better, but it won't stop you.
    You're a liar! Don't do that. There isn't any doctor in the world that will say you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Since when is exercise not good for you?
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    worlds best weight loss secret!!!

eat less...... move more.....
  • hjames0486
    Options
    Are you eating the same amount of calories everyday? If you are constantly just eating the 1200 calories your body gets use to only having to burn so many calories a day. You might want to try increasing/decreasing your calories on some days to throw your body off. I know that I should eat about 1300 calories if I want to lose 2 lbs a week and about 1600 if I want to lose 1 pound. So I try to make sure my calories fall into the range, some days I'll eat the 1600 and others I'll be under the 1300.

Also 1200 calories is a low number, is that a number that you decided to stay in or is that the number the site recommended for you based on your weight and how many pounds a week you want to lose? You may not be eating enough calories a day which can hinder your loss.
  • jodieh06
    jodieh06 Posts: 49
    Options
    will definately try changing my weight loss to 1lb a week! Thank you very much for all your comments, ready to get focused and do this properly now :D
  • mariek
    mariek Posts: 6
    Options
    I know you dont want to hear this, but its the exercise. I was having the same problem. Once I stepped the exercise up I started to see results. Im not a fan of the gym. I started out walking, now Im running. I have an exercise ball and I also try to fit in sit ups or crunches and lunges when I walk. I am now back in what I use to call my fat clothes. :)
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough, believe it or not! Unless you have more than 100 lbs to lose, you should change your weekly weight loss goal to 1 lb. That will give you 500 more calories/day. This is set an automatic deficit to help you lose 1 lb/week. Any exercise you do, you earn extra calories to eat--MFP calculates that for you when you enter the exercise. EAT THE EXTRA CALORIES.

You will lose. Trust! You won't even need "cheat" days when you have the right amount of calories; you won't be hungry!

Give it a shot--you've had 6 weeks with no luck--THIS will do it for you.

Here's a link that gives a nice explanation of why:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

blessings.

thanks for this...I changed my settings too :)
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Diet matters more than exercise. Is your goal weight realistic for your height/frame? If you are already in a normal weight range a slow rate of loss, eating more calories may be a better choice for you.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

You're a liar! Don't do that. There isn't any doctor in the world that will say you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Since when is exercise not good for you?

I never said it's not good for you, now did I? I just said it is NOT REQUIRED for weight loss. As you can also read in what I said...it helps a lot...but again...you don't HAVE to in order to get results, it will just be harder.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary, and here are a few things to consider:

1. Are you drinking your full 8, 8oz glasses of water every day? (More if you exercise)

2. Are you weighing and measuring EVERY thing you eat?

3. Are you really tracking your food every day, or just thinking about it? Sometimes it's easy to forget when we're just thinking about it.

4. Make yourself a promise to double your exercise. Or, if you're doing nothing, add something. Take 3, 30 minute walks this week, or go for a cycle 3-4 days this week. Do something to get your body moving. You might just need a jump start.

5. Try adjusting your settings on your profile to lose 1 pound per week and see how it goes.

6. Be completely honest with yourself. Only you know the truth if you're really doing all that you can to lose weight here. The tools exist, and there are explanations for things all over this site, if you look for answers.

Good luck with it! Don't give up, just find solutions.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Actually, as long as there is a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Is exercise healthy? Yes. Is it necessary to lose weight? No.
  • hjames0486
    Options

Actually you can lose weight without exercising. There are a lot of people who weigh so much that they cannot exercise because it causes too much stress on their joints and can do more damage than good. So doctors will but them on a diet regime and they lose weight by watching their caloric intake. Once they have lost enough weight the doctors will incorporate exercise into their daily regime because it will help them lose weight a lot faster, but it also strengthens their heart, muscle, joints, etc. Exercise is not a requirement to lose weight it simply just speeds up the process.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    AND....alcohol really hinders weight loss efforts. Not sure if you're a drinker or not, but going to the pub and drinking your calories can really halt your weight loss. It sucks, but it's true for many of us. I learned that the hard way! UGh.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    For me, water makes a huge difference. My scale doesn't budge unless I drink at least 60 ounces a day.
  • Rworthy
    Options

Actually, as long as there is a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Is exercise healthy? Yes. Is it necessary to lose weight? No.
    LIE! There's no way. Your body will get used to whatever calories you put in it. If you eat less, you'll just get used to functioning with less. The only way to lose weight is to exercise AND eat less. Period. Period. Period! If you lose weight, it's most likely to be water weight. If you lose muscle, you'll burn less calories living. Exercise ensures you don't lose muscle (and think it's fat). If you only eat less and don't exercise, then when you eat more, you'll just pack on the pounds - as opposed to invigorating your metabolism (i.e. The ONLY way you can do this is through exercise) - which makes you burn MORE calories in your everyday functions. Women, especially, lose muscle so fast, esp. as we get older, so the importance is MORE on exercise than EATING LESS. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a gosh darn liar!
  • Rworthy
    Options
    In fact, eating less and not exercising is a great way to SLOW your metabolism, and we all know (at least I hope we do) what that does!