Lean Cuisines Are Yucky!

Options

Replies

• SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like Amy's frozen foods, they are more expensive but I believe they are healthier (overall, not just calories but total nutrition and ingredients) and taste much better too :)
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    Most diet foods are pretty gross. If you're going to spend the money, buy a bagged salad at the grocer and keep low fat dressing in the fridge at work. That is what I do.

I do that, too, but I get sooooooo tired of eating salad every day. And lettuce wraps.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I looooove Lean Cuisines... but I would not try either of those ones. My current favorite is the tortilla crusted fish with rice. I also like the meatloaf, some of the flatbread sandwiches, and the asiago steamer bag one.

I also get regular frozen dinners, when the calories are comparable. For example, a regular, small size lasagna from Souffer's is 350 calories. The Lean Cuisine one is like 325 or something around there. For a few extra calories, I am happy to have the improved taste.

Yes, they have a lot of sodium... but, I don't even track sodium, so I don't really care. I just make sure I am drinking lots of water! =)
  • Stacyann12
    Options
    The Healthy Choice meals are really pretty good. They aren't as filled with preservatives.... I LOVE the Asian Potstickers...!
  • PaulaAnn143
    Options
    Ya know when I was weigh in at over 300 lbs I didnt mind eating them. When I lost a bunch of weight I thought Im gonna pick some of these up cuz they were on sale. Warmed one up for lunch and YUCK! I decided these things suck! slimmy, favorless, rubbery, and whatever. I really just make the time to pack food up the night before, I either make a simple sanwhich or left overs from dinner. Last night I was in a rush but still took the time to throw together food for today. So it was 6 crackers, 14 slices of pepperoni 1 slice of cheese some carrots and some cherries, for lunch. I also grabbed a chobani yogurt for breakfast and a clemintine for snack. done deal!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I know it can be hard to try to pack lunch while you are tired. But processed food really sucks. My suggestion is don't wait to too late (close to bed time) to pack. Try earlier so you still have some energy.

I always pack my husband (he's very busy at work too) a simple healthy sandwich:
    - whole grain bread
    - organic deli meat
    - Romain letters
    - tomato

Along with healthy snacks like:
    - apple (or apple sauce sometimes)
    - oranges
    - cheese sticks
    - carrots
    - celery with PB
    - whole grain chips
    - nuts
    - cheese crackers
    - etc
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I started on this site, I stocked up on LC's. I tend to get a lot of the Asian ones, like pot stickers; chicken in peanut sauce; things like that. I like them okay, but I decided to return to fresh foods when I didn't see the scale budging for the longest time. Now, I am bringing in salads with tuna, turkey sandwiches, that sort of thing.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I love to take the Campbell's Select Harvest soups for a quick lunch. Most of the one's I have tried are pretty tasty and there aren't as many strange additives in them, especially the healthy request brands. My favorite is probably the Italian wedding soup with meatballs. The sodium levels are even somewhat reasonable in the lighter versions.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i like the steamer bags from lean cuisine they dont taste as processed and they are really yummy. i dont like fish at all so i havent had those but the tortellini, and the garlic and alfredo chicken and the chicken pablano are amoung my favs. i also like the deep dish pizza's when i get a carb craving they are good. the bbq chicken and the spinach and mushroom pizza are deffinately my fav.
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i don't eat them often but the healthy choice fresh steamers are good. i really like the fresh mixers sweet sour chicken one. but normal i make my lunch the night before work, somethings i are take cottage cheese/fruit mix, carrots, granola bar, some kind of pickle, whole grain gold fish crackers, bagel thin&peanut butter, roasted chicken breast. but my favorite is when making dinner the night before. i portion out lunch too. hope this gives some ideas :) good luck!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Every Lean Cuisine I have had has been terrible, with exception to their pizza which was adequate but I wouldn't call it "good.". It is basically poor quality frozen food chocked full of sodium to disguise the lack of flavor.

Make your own frozen meals by freezing dinner leftovers. When I have time I will make a big pot of soup and freeze it into portion sizes for quick lunches or dinners when I don't have time to cook.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    both of those you tried are yucky!!

The thai spring rolls, yum
    beans and rice is good

Alfredo chicken w/ pasta and broccoli
    Fiesta grilled chicken
    Chicken parmesean - is okay
    Chicken fettucini

Four cheese canneloni - i like too

Looks like I liked the chicken ones!!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you have a microwave at work, apparently you do unless your eating it cold, I would batch cook 1 day a week. Then just take what you've made at home and mix it up during the work week:

Boneless Skinless Chicken:

Chicken and greens
    chicken with mixed veggies
    chicken salad
    bbq chicken and rice
    chicken stir fry

That would cover your work week lunches! :) An save a lot of money
  • thedodgeruk
    thedodgeruk Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i just eat the cheap own brand frozen meals from each supermarket. there not low calorie , but they are small portions so they end up less caloires than the "low calorie" stuff.

not taste to bad either
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I know it can be hard to try to pack lunch while you are tired. But processed food really sucks. My suggestion is don't wait to too late (close to bed time) to pack. Try earlier so you still have some energy.

I always pack my husband (he's very busy at work too) a simple healthy sandwich:
    - whole grain bread
    - organic deli meat
    - Romain letters
    - tomato

- oranges
    - cheese sticks
    - carrots
    - celery with PB
    - whole grain chips
    - nuts
    - cheese crackers
    - etc

You're a good wife :smile:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If you have a microwave at work, apparently you do unless your eating it cold, I would batch cook 1 day a week. Then just take what you've made at home and mix it up during the work week:

Boneless Skinless Chicken:

Chicken and greens
    chicken with mixed veggies
    chicken salad
    bbq chicken and rice
    chicken stir fry

That would cover your work week lunches! :) An save a lot of money

A friend of mine get those frozen meal recipes. and make some big batches during weekend and freeze them in portions. Then she'll just take a portion out, heat and eat.
  • carlaanysia
    Options
    I have found the following meals have a decent taste to them:

Butternut Squash Ravioli
    Pesto chicken with bow tie pasta

Other than that, the rest of them aren't too appetizing. I did lean heavily on "Lean Cuisines" when I started changing my eating habits. I now have moved on to packing my own lunch (healthy sandwiches) or picking up a salad from a local restaurant by my work. I also started bringing soups (Healthy Choice Tomato Basil, Butternut Squash (I am sorry but I can't remember who makes it) to work. I have them and add a healthy side (cut up carrots/cucumbers with hummus dip). They are really great in a pinch and you can keep a few at your desk for last minute meals.

Hope this info helps. :-)
  • KelieHerrera
    Options

- whole grain bread
    - organic deli meat
    - Romain letters
    - tomato

- oranges
    - cheese sticks
    - carrots
    - celery with PB
    - whole grain chips
    - nuts
    - cheese crackers
    - etc

You're a good wife :smile:

Seriously! My poor guy has to fend for himself. Or steal my Lean Cuisines.
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I should mention I have a lot of food allergy issues, so it makes it even more challenging to pack the snacks a lot of people suggest. I'm allergic to raw carrots, cucumbers, melons of all types, and more. Fun!
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I cook from scratch probably 3 times a week, and make twice or 3 times as much as hubby and I will eat in one sitting, then the leftovers are usually packed for lunches or reworked into another dinner.

Ex: 4 nights ago we had corn, rice, chicken and broccoli (nom...) and last night it got mixed with a can of condensed soup and plopped into a pie dish, with a super quick home made crust and baked off.. Chicken and broccoli pot pie!