Maybe Losing Weight too Fast?

So I wanted to get advice from everyone. I started my “diet” on Sunday and then discovered MFP on Tuesday after speaking to my doc. I put in all the relevant information and set a 2lbs a week weight loss goal.

On Sunday, when I started, I weighed 187.3. I dropped a lot the first couple of days, but figured I was losing the water I’d been retaining. That being said, it doesn’t seem to be slowing down that much? As of today, I’m 176.8 and it hasn’t even been a full week.

Part of me is super excited, but part of me is worried. I’ve only been exercising once a day and have been eating almost all of my calories for the day. Do I need to change something or is this normal for the first week and it’ll eventually slow down on its own?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    are you weighting yourself at the same place with the same scale at the same time with similar clothing? 10 pds in one week even with water weight sounds unlikely but I am not the most knowledgable.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    You'd be amazed how much water weight you can carry at different times of the month!

You would have to be seriously undereating to lose anything other than water or slow digesting food that fast.

How tall are you, how many calories are you eating, and are you doing more exercise?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    cammiecane wrote: »
    So I wanted to get advice from everyone. I started my “diet” on Sunday and then discovered MFP on Tuesday after speaking to my doc. I put in all the relevant information and set a 2lbs a week weight loss goal.

On Sunday, when I started, I weighed 187.3. I dropped a lot the first couple of days, but figured I was losing the water I’d been retaining. That being said, it doesn’t seem to be slowing down that much? As of today, I’m 176.8 and it hasn’t even been a full week.

Part of me is super excited, but part of me is worried. I’ve only been exercising once a day and have been eating almost all of my calories for the day. Do I need to change something or is this normal for the first week and it’ll eventually slow down on its own?

Thanks!!

Honestly, that probably isn't fat loss. It's more like water weight. I strictly track macros, don't drink alcohol, work out excessively and when I went on vacation (drank, ate whatever without tracking, didn't work out), I ended up coming back 10 lbs. heavier. I lost that within 3 days of being back in the gym and eating my regular meals. Water retention from sodium and carbohydrate intake is real. You're probably consuming less of these and in turn are holding less water. Also, if you're working out, you will sweat out a lot of water when first getting started.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,515 Member
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time every day under the same conditions? i.e. first thing in the morning, naked, after going to the bathroom or are you weighing yourself at random times throughout the day, clothed, hydrated, well fed, prior to elimination, etc? I generally weight 3-5lbs more at night than I do in the morning.
  • cammiecane
    cammiecane Posts: 62 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Why are you eating so little?
    Nothing permanent will happen based on your diet for one week, and I'd still guess it's mostly water weight. But a little tip from years of experience - undereating plus exercise is a recipe for feeling like crap, hitting the wall, and gaining it all back.

Set your goal to lose 1 lb per week. Log accurately and consistently. Eat the calories mfp gives you. Lose weight at a reasonable pace that doesn't lead to too much muscle loss or loose skin and makes the transition into maintenance easier.. If you'd like, there's lots of great info in the Most Helpful Posts pinned to the top of each forum. Keep asking questions because that's how all of us learned :smiley: Good luck!

Um... that’s what MFP gave me. Well, it gave me 1200 calories a day, but what happens is I get to around 1100 and I can’t find anything I want to eat that will keep me under 1200 and I don’t want to go over so I just leave it there.

I set my goal to 2lbs only because I have a lot to lose. I figure when I get closer to my goal I can decrease the rate.

Honestly, that probably isn't fat loss. It's more like water weight. I strictly track macros, don't drink alcohol, work out excessively and when I went on vacation (drank, ate whatever without tracking, didn't work out), I ended up coming back 10 lbs. heavier. I lost that within 3 days of being back in the gym and eating my regular meals. Water retention from sodium and carbohydrate intake is real. You're probably consuming less of these and in turn are holding less water. Also, if you're working out, you will sweat out a lot of water when first getting started.
    That makes sense. Thanks!
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time every day under the same conditions? i.e. first thing in the morning, naked, after going to the bathroom or are you weighing yourself at random times throughout the day, clothed, hydrated, well fed, prior to elimination, etc? I generally weight 3-5lbs more at night than I do in the morning.

I weigh at the same time every day. First thing in the morning after I get up and use the bathroom but before eating or drinking anything and always in a bra and underwear. Same scale.
    Starvation diet FTW. Seriously though, that's too low. 30 minutes of exercise is going to net you a couple hundred calories, maybe 100 if you don't work at it very hard, so it means you're effectively eating about 900-1000 net calories a day. Minimum for someone about 6" shorter than you would be about 1200/day. My guess is you should probably be eating in the 1500 calorie range but it depends on many factors that you have not given (current age/activity level/how tough is the exercise you're performing/etc.). 5-7lbs could easily be water weight as well. I'd seriously re-calculate, MFP should not give you less than 1200/day, unless you manually set it that low. The problem is that if you continue at that few of calories you're definitely going to lose fat, but you're probably burning away muscle at the same rate. Your heart is a muscle. Food for thought.

MFP gave me 1200 calories a day. Like I said, a lot of times I can’t find anything I want to eat that will get my cals right at 1200, but not go over. So I just leave it at 1100.

I’m 31 and I put my activity level as sedentary because I work mostly from home on the computer. The only workouts I do right now are hiking with hills and body weight exercises, ie push-ups, sit-ups and crunches, and various butt-toning exercises. Nothing too strenuous.

I know all about the heart thing, but thank you. I actually damaged my heart already from the last time which is why I’m trying to be careful this time and why I’m asking questions in the first place.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    So many 100 calorie options! but if you are consistently coming in at 1100 maybe look at your overall daily meals and add a bit to each meal. increase portions. use milk with fat VS non fat for example. You don't have to be at 1199 on the button either. Look at your macros, which number if most off and see if you can work more of that in your daily food. Like if you are low on protein add a bit of protein. If you are super low on fat maybe use a bit of oil in your cooking.

for me i'd get 100 calories of PB or chocolate haha. or cheese. so many options..
  • cammiecane
    cammiecane Posts: 62 Member
    A small spoonful of peanut butter is 100 cals... job done. No need to eat so little again.

Not sure how you have 'so much' weight to lose when you're 170 odd pounds... you have maybe 30lbs to lose?
    A lot to lose is 75+ lbs. You have maybe 40 lbs? 2 lbs is really aggressive for your size. Ultimately it's up to you, but 1200 net (so calories eaten minus exercise cals) is the absolute min, unless you are short, elderly, and sedentary. If you insist on aiming for 1200, error on the side of a little over, rather than a little under. It is very hard to get enough protein and fat at that level.

Well, when i started, I was 187, so I had 70lbs to lose. Pretty close to 75lbs. I consider it a lot, anyway.

I never considered the peanut butter thing. I love peanut butter with my apples. Eat it almost every day, so maybe I will add an extra tbsp of peanut butter to my snack. Thank you!

I definitely get a lot of protein. I eat high protein to protect my muscles. I didn’t know there was a minimum amount of fat I needed? Im also confused about the net calories. When I log my exercise, it adds calories, which increases the total calories I can eat, I guess. I thought exercising was just a bonus to get a bigger deficit, not to eat more?

Thank you to everyone who has been taking the time and answer my questions/concerns. I really do appreciate it. A lot of very helpful answers and suggestions!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    A small spoonful of peanut butter is 100 cals... job done. No need to eat so little again.

Not sure how you have 'so much' weight to lose when you're 170 odd pounds... you have maybe 30lbs to lose?
    A lot to lose is 75+ lbs. You have maybe 40 lbs? 2 lbs is really aggressive for your size. Ultimately it's up to you, but 1200 net (so calories eaten minus exercise cals) is the absolute min, unless you are short, elderly, and sedentary. If you insist on aiming for 1200, error on the side of a little over, rather than a little under. It is very hard to get enough protein and fat at that level.

Well, when i started, I was 187, so I had 70lbs to lose. Pretty close to 75lbs. I consider it a lot, anyway.

I never considered the peanut butter thing. I love peanut butter with my apples. Eat it almost every day, so maybe I will add an extra tbsp of peanut butter to my snack. Thank you!

I definitely get a lot of protein. I eat high protein to protect my muscles. I didn’t know there was a minimum amount of fat I needed? Im also confused about the net calories. When I log my exercise, it adds calories, which increases the total calories I can eat, I guess. I thought exercising was just a bonus to get a bigger deficit, not to eat more?

Thank you to everyone who has been taking the time and answer my questions/concerns. I really do appreciate it. A lot of very helpful answers and suggestions!

A loss of 70-75 Lbs would put you under weight. Your BMI weight range is 122-149 and where you fall in that range would depend greatly on your structural build and muscle mass. Most people at the low end of BMI whether male or female have very slight builds and very little muscle mass
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    I’m 5’7, eating about 1100 Cals a day and doing about 30 minutes of exercise a day.

So maybe i was just retaining a lot of water and it’ll go down to normal soon, right?
    That's not being healthy at all, you're doing the opposite. Why so little food?