Why am I NOT Hungry..??

Options
If exercising is supposed to increase your metabolism and I burn at least 600 calories per day on my elliptical, then why am I NOT hungry...???....I have a heck of time eating back at least half of my exercise calories.... :huh:

Replies

• aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wish I had that not hungry issue....
  • bbjnkidz
    bbjnkidz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't get hungry ver often, and my calorie intake is not sufficient (per MFP), so it is really frustrating that I stay at this same weight. And then when I do exercise, I have even lower calories for the day and I already have trouble eating enough to make the 1200 recommended. Anyone have any helpful hints here?
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    maybe you are not burning 600 Kcals and those reported are gross Kcals not net Kcals
    to get net take your daily allowance and divide by 24
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough or maybe it's a mental thing since most of us are trained to eat less to lose weight. Do you eat breakfast? I wasn't a breakfast eater at all before mfp but I had to train myself to start eating something in the morning and now I'm starving when I get up. Just start eating 3 meals a day and 2-3 snacks if you aren't already and eventually you WILL want to eat. Burning those kind of calories, you should be hungry. I know I just finished a 600 + calorie workout and I was starving lol. Best of luck to you:)
  • kmcw50
    kmcw50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is the discussion my friends and I have all the time. They feel that because they exercised so many calories off that day that they can eat them all back. The point to exercise is to help burn the calories off to help you lose weight and get firm. If you are hungry, yes, eat some of the calories that you burned off but not all of them to me that's defeating the purpose of exercising.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I know when I do alot of calorie burning ( I use an elliptical too) I will not be so hungry till much later. My body is just busy with the after burn I guess(?!?)

But, just a thought....I also know that when our bodies are really out of whack weight-wise, the ability to feel and trust "hunger" signals gets messed up!

That's why we can't always trust those signals. Part of changing who we are and becoming healthy is to retrain ourselves by eating at those regular intervals that are good for us.

Keep at this, feed yourself appropriately using some structure. Living by the motto - I'll eat when I'm hungry" really is the set up for bad habits.....

just some thoughts. Best of Luck :smile:
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    This is the discussion my friends and I have all the time. They feel that because they exercised so many calories off that day that they can eat them all back. The point to exercise is to help burn the calories off to help you lose weight and get firm. If you are hungry, yes, eat some of the calories that you burned off but not all of them to me that's defeating the purpose of exercising.

But MFP has ALREADY calculated in a caloric deficit when you plugged in your original numbers and desire weight loss goals.
    Ergo, the exercise calories that you use CAN be eaten back as long as you calculate them accurately. That's the whole point of this site.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Drinks.

Try smoothies full of bananas, berries, teaspoon of honey, skimmed milk etc.

I must admit I'm finding myself less and less hungry lately. I think that's because I am having high protein and snacking often, as well as plenty of water.

So the "not hungry" is good as it means it's all working right (I guess!).

Keefypoos/Torrego, I also think a lot of folk use mfp calories burned which I don't think are accurate and way over estimate the calories burned. Just my gut feeling. Also I think what some people class as exercise may not be when it comes to eating back those calories. Yes you may have walked 1 hour today, but could that already be included in your goals when you set your activity level for the day? Honestly?

Not suggesting this is true for everyone here (or this thread) but I do think you have to be very careful how many exercise calories you think you have to eat...
  • drawdown
    drawdown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

how is this affecting your weightloss? I've just restarted my diet and have been tracking for just over one week. The first few 4-5 days I found it extremely hard to stay within my calorie allowance. Since then however, having incorporated some exercise I am finding it hard to eat my basic allowance nevermind the execise calories.

My concern is 'starvation mode' - what if my body hangs on to the fat because my intake has dropped too low. Interested to hear what you've noticed so far.

Regards
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise works like an appetite suppressant. I actually seem to eat more on days when I don't exercise. I'm a firm believer in calorie shifting or zig zagging. It has worked for me, and it works out over the course of the week. :-)
  • kmcw50
    kmcw50 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My point is to err on the side of caution and not eat back the calories you think you burned off in case your calculations are wrong.