fluctuations in resting heart rate?

Options
Thoughts? For those of you wearing fitness trackers, does your rhr change or stay the same? Mine has been pretty much the same for over a year (since I started wearing a tracker), but has gone up 4 bpm a month ago and stayed there. I'm not concerned or anything, but it did spark my curiosity about how consistent these numbers are and if anyone sees patterns in their changes.

Replies

• Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My rhr varies between 58-62, seems to change often. Kind of wondered why, but figured it was averaged out by looking at my activity levels each day/ over however long. Since some days I dont get any planned exercise, and other days I am quite active, I figured that accounted for the changes.
    I’ve no idea really, it just seemed to make sense to me!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Mine is generally in the mid 50’s. It goes up to around 60 when I’m sick, not getting enough rest/recovery, or I’m full of life stress, and spikes to ~65 after extremely active days.

It has also gone up a bit (upper 50’s) when I’ve had long periods when I wasn’t able to run (due to serious injury) and while I do other stuff to “maintain my fitness” it’s not quite the same. My RHR drops again after I am able to run again.

Other than that, mine pretty much hangs out 54-56. I find it a pretty good status check for me (outside that “normal” range means something is up). If mine went up and stayed up, I would pay attention to other indicators (knowing that a higher RHR for me usually means sickness or lack of adequate rest/recovery). So if I started to feel drained or workouts weren’t great or something, I might pay more attention. It could also be response to weather changes (idk-I really have no idea but that’s about how long ago it got stupid hot here).

But since these are consumer devices, and it could be a software update, or you’re wearing it 1/4 mm off from where you were (I don’t think they are that sensitive but just saying it’s not a lab device).
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    @Duck_Puddle -love the user name!

You both sound about like mine, just a few bpm change. I haven't noticed any difference when I'm sick though- I should check that out.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Things that put mine up are dehydration, heat, illness and the day after drinking alcohol.

I think as I’ve lost weight my band on my watch is slightly looser but not enough to go down to a different hole on the band. Not sure if this might impact too.

Also every now and then I’ll have a day which is completely off eg normally resting lowest is 56 reading I have but then One day it had 40bpm as the lowest. I think this was a misreading from poor contact but it did affect the average
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My resting heart rate hovers around 48 bpm give or take 3 beats in either direction for the past year or so. (So says my Apple Watch) While I do get regular moderate exercise, no one would ever mistake me for an athlete. I wonder about that - seems low for a 53 yr old non athlete.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Mine varies, but I am a woman of child bearing age so my HR changes depending on where I am in my menstrual cycle. It often drops several BPM right before my period shows up. I’ve been tracking it for over a year now. It’s fascinating.
  • kayten76
    kayten76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mine went up 60bpm from 54bpm after recovering from a hernia op. After starting back in the gym it went back down to 54bpm.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    kayten76 wrote: »
    Mine went up 60bpm from 54bpm after recovering from a hernia op. After starting back in the gym it went back down to 54bpm.

Wow! That's a big change.
  • amandaeve
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    My resting heart rate hovers around 48 bpm give or take 3 beats in either direction for the past year or so. (So says my Apple Watch) While I do get regular moderate exercise, no one would ever mistake me for an athlete. I wonder about that - seems low for a 53 yr old non athlete.

I feel like mine's low, too. I am active, but I wouldn't call myself "elite" which is my heart rate category (54). I wonder if certain medications slow heart rate or if some people are just genetically slower, like genetically having low blood pressure.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    ryenday wrote: »

I feel like mine's low, too. I am active, but I wouldn't call myself "elite" which is my heart rate category (54). I wonder if certain medications slow heart rate or if some people are just genetically slower, like genetically having low blood pressure.

In my understanding, that's not crazy low. If an reasonable healthy adult resting heart rate is 60, and the average healthy adult (as I look around me ;) ) is not very fit, then 54 seems good but not alarming. RHR improves (lowers) with fitness.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/heart-rate/faq-20057979

Note that they say trained athletes could be closer to 40bpm.

[curmudgeon] Part of the problem here, IMO, is that you're thinking of yourself as "not an athlete". [/curmudgeon]

If you exercise regularly, and aim to improve your fitness and performance, you're an athlete.

Dictionary.com's definition of athlete: "a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill."

Own it. :) I see the fit-looking woman in the cycling photo in your avi: You can't hide! ;)

When I had cataract surgery last year at an outpatient surgical facility, my (pre-sedation) heart rate kept setting off the bradycardia alarm (it was set to go off if someone dropped below 50). I had to resort to waving my legs around above the bed while waiting to stop the recurring beeping. My surgeon assured me this was completely fine - he seemed kind of oddly amused and pleased, actually - and called it something like "fitness induced bradycardia". I'm a li'l ol' lady (age 62) recreational athlete. My RHR varies over time, but would get down to the low 50s when I was training even while obese, and usually runs high 40s to low 50s these days depending on what I've been doing recently (plus hydration, weather, etc.).