Popcorn - Never again

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Pro-tip: I find that with 100g of corn and 1tsp of oil, the weight of my finished snack is 100g, making it trivial to weigh portions of popped corn, in case I decide to share, or save some for later.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »
    Couldn't you just make less? I only use 1 tbsp of oil and 1/4 cup of kernels. I agree with using a smaller pot.

This is my recipe. Plus 2 T of butter. I think it's 400 plus calories. I don't make it very often, but when I do I want it FULL FAT.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Were there M&Ms milk duds in the popcorn? You should let us know if there were.

FIFY :smile:
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Popcorn = life. I use a whirly pop with 1T peanut oil and 1/3 c popcorn kernels. Sooo good. Glad you have some new options.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I just use an air popper. They are relatively inexpensive. I got a good one and it was about $25 on amazon.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    When I want low calorie popcorn, I pop it in a paper bag in the microwave. (Edit: I'm referring to putting some kernels in a brown paper lunch sack, not a bag of prepackaged microwave popcorn.)
    No oil at all, but you do need to be VERY careful to make sure it doesn't burn, and you shouldn't expect every kernel to pop--it will burn before that happens. It does come out a bit bland like this, so I recommend adding a small amount of oil or other liquid flavoring (so it will stick to dry popcorn) after it pops.

When I want oily salty goodness, I use a Whirly Pop pot. 0.75 to 1 ounce of oil for 4 ounces of kernels, plus seasonings. If you split that bowl with one other person, you would have about 300 calories each.

I use these for microwave popcorn. They pop just as many kernels as stovetop.

https://smile.amazon.com/Original-HOTPOP-Microwave-Collapsible-Dishwasher/dp/B01M1CJNXH/

I can see the benefit of that, but then I have to buy a thing and have it take up space in my kitchen. Little paper bags are free for me because my grocery store provides them for produce. I just put away my fruit and save the bag.

But it just collapses & you through it in the cabinet :) We adore these poppers!
  • SnowDog16
    SnowDog16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love air popped popcorn and add Parmesan cheese to the top. It is like a life saver for me. If adding M&M's, they have to be Almond.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I finally counted all calories in making popcorn last night. Even in a wok, it took 7 tablespoons of Peanut Oil to get enough in the bottom of the wok to pop popcorn. Then I measured out 6 tablespoons of Orville Reddenbacher kernels. Total calories to pop this way:

120 cals per tablespoon peanut oil, x 7 = 840 calories
    120 cals per serving kernels (x 2 for 6 table spoons) = 240 calories
    Total Calories before salt and grated parmesan cheese 1,089 calories

I then backed up and punted and ate yogurt with 1/2 cup of cashews mixed in for a much lower calorie evening snack.

Time to purchase a new hot air popcorn popper..........

It is painful to finally take the blinders off and measure and calculate ALL calories in everything that I eat, but obviously I have to if I am serious about accurately burning calories over time. This was a blind spot that needed addressing (oil popped popcorn).

Hot air poppers aren't my favorite....too dry.

I like a microwave popper. I add just a couple teaspoons of oil. The moisture helps the toppings stick.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    SnowDog16 wrote: »
    I love air popped popcorn and add Parmesan cheese to the top. It is like a life saver for me. If adding M&M's, they have to be Almond.

Wait... Almond M&Ms ? Where do you live? I've never saw any almond M&M bags before and I shop for treats often.
  • SnowDog16
    SnowDog16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Wait... Almond M&Ms ? Where do you live? I've never saw any almond M&M bags before and I shop for treats often. [/quote]

Canada, sometimes they are harder to find. We have different candy here, like our smarties are chocolate with and candy coating.
  • try2again
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

Wait... Almond M&Ms ? Where do you live? I've never saw any almond M&M bags before and I shop for treats often.

We get almond m&ms all the time here in the US (Iowa). It's our favorite kind. Not every store carries them, but they're around. We also like the pecan pie m&ms they sell at Thanksgiving time ;)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

We get almond m&ms all the time here in the US (Iowa). It's our favorite kind. Not every store carries them, but they're around. We also like the pecan pie m&ms they sell at Thanksgiving time ;)

Pecan pie M&M's? Like pecan pie with chocolate? I don't think I've seen this before, and now I desperately need it to be part of my life.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options
    Well I've never even tried Carmel or almond ones. I feel sad and neglected now.

I guess I'm not shopping at the right stores or something because my store doesn't have any of those. I go to giant or trader Joe's. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout because my popcorn add-ins are lacking.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options

Canada, sometimes they are harder to find. We have different candy here, like our smarties are chocolate with and candy coating. [/quote]

Unfortunately I'm not allowed in Canada so I'll have to take your word for it! LMAO
  • try2again
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Pecan pie M&M's? Like pecan pie with chocolate? I don't think I've seen this before, and now I desperately need it to be part of my life.

Sadly, you'll have to wait till Oct/Nov ;)
  • try2again
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Caramel M&Ms would go well with the salty popcorn. Maybe a mix of those with the almond M&Ms.

That does sound good! Love the caramel m&ms!

I don't think any of this is helping the OP with his high-calorie popcorn dilemma, though ;)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Is that pecan pie or pumpkin spice M&Ms? October is when pumpkin spice creeps into everything like a nutmeg borne virus.

But come to think of it, pumpkin spice popcorn would be amazeballs. (And double checking this post because autocorrect kept trying to replace pumpkin with pimpin, bad Android)