What foods make you feel full?

Options
I am back here again! This time with realistic goals in mind and I am trying to figure out what I can eat that will make me feel fuller while staying under my calorie goal.

I am going from eating anything at any time and it’s a little hard when I am finding myself hungry during the day. I know it will take some time to get used to eating less. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or knew of foods that make you feel fuller!

Thank you!:)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Adequate fat and protein work for me
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I do best with high volume and high fiber.

Many people find fat and protein help.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm still tinkering with it myself but I'm finding fiber foods keep me fuller longer,along with protein
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I could wax eloquent about my undying love of peanut butter, but I'll just say fats with a little protein thrown in there as well. It's highly individual, though.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Well rounded with 30fat..40 protein....30carbs. Quality high fiber carbs.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Personally, I liked volume. I liked to add a whole bag of steamed veggies or giant salad to every meal. I also drank a lot of coffee with sugar free caramel or other decadent flavors. Drinking 32oz coffee a few times a day really fills you up. I chewed gum too. I have to limit my gym chewing now because I’m too full to eat.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    My best advice is to accept that you're not supposed to feel full all the time, it's normal and pleasureable to be hungry before a meal, and feel empty most of the time. Just get in proper nutrition, and the sensation you get, is not to be feared.
    My best advice is to accept that you're not supposed to feel full all the time, it's normal and pleasureable to be hungry before a meal, and feel empty most of the time. Just get in proper nutrition, and the sensation you get, is not to be feared.

This is true. Not saying it is the original posters issue but on a side note this was so true for me! Now I hate not being starving. Food just tastes better if you are super hungry a few hours before a meal.

I realized that for me, before, I was never really hungry. As soon as I wasnt “full” I thought I was hungry and would want to eat again and I never let myself get hungry enough that veggies and salads tasted food. It took years to relearn the difference between satisfied and full because I was so conditioned to eating if I wasn’t completely full.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Spaghetti, lasagna, fettuccine, rice with vegetables, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, sourdough rice crackers. Balsamic reductions on grilled chicken, salmon, trout, portobello mushrooms, avocado, roasted vegetables; drizzled on fresh summer tomatoes with fresh basil. Hot carmelized onions served over burgers, steak and chicken. Dried fruit - apricots, peaches, figs, plums/prunes, cranberries, dates, raisins, currants,cherries, blueberries, raspberries and a handful of nuts and cottage cheese. Cottage cheese on top of baked potatoes with steamed broccoli crowns. Blackberries. Lentil soup. Split pea soup with bacon. Espresso. Bread. Cornbread, pan bread, bread bread, other people's bread and stale bread because it reminds me of croutons. I eat exactly what I want. I don't opt for food substitutes because they don't inspire or satisfy.

Pay as you go. Eat what you want. You don't even have to plan your meals if you don't want to. I like the element of surprise and variety.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me right now it's protein. Even plain whey in water. Also coffee.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Different foods satisfy different people- as has been mentioned, it’s pretty individual to each person!
    I find that protein and fat satiates me too, particularly protein. If I have significant protein in my meals, I feel pretty good. I often have a snack with a good amount of protein around mid-afternoon, when I tend to start getting a little hungry- a hard boiled egg, some Greek yoghurt, or cold meat/ cheese help me out at these times!
  • stfpa
    stfpa Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a large, boring side salad with both lunch and dinner. It helps me feel full. I was someone who ate whatever I wanted too so I feel like I’m never going to feel as full 24/7 as I used to with my old diet, but remember that’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’ll just take a little getting used to. Drinking water helps when I think I’m hungry but I know I’m really not or I can’t fit in more calories. If you add crystal light, mio or fruit to your water, that can make it more interesting to drink if you’re not a huge water drinker like me. :-)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    For ME, it's protein and fat. Carbs by themselves will not keep me full. So a plain salad won't do as much for me as a salad with chicken, feta, and nuts on it even if they end up being the same amount of food. Since I have added more protein and fat into my diet, with my breakfast, lunch, and snacks being a focus of the change (dinner was already usually good), I have had a lot less trouble with hunger throughout the day or at night.

• Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    Adequate fat and protein work for me

Same
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Nuts, cheese and potatoes. They can be worked into your calorie goals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My dinner yesterday made me feel full. It's open if you want to look, but it was about 500 grams of root vegetables and a steak.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I agree. There is nothing wrong with feeling hungry. Granted, I am not a volume eater either. I hate feeling weighed down with food.

I think that there are 2 types of fullness and you need a balance between them.

1. enough food- you have something to chew and there is enough on the plate so you actually feel like you put something in your body.
    2. enough flavor- you need to also satisfy your appetite. Eat stuff you like and if you need to bulk out a smaller serving of lasagna with some broccoli on the side, then do it. Getting a good balance of not only macros, but also textures and flavors will make your meals enjoyable and you hopefully won't feel hungry for more until it is time for more.

It also takes some time to go from eating large, oversized portions to smaller portions. If you have recently decreased your portion size significantly, you will feel hungry. It gets easier though. Your body has been used to being overstuffed and has taken that to be normal. It will adjust though; just give it a couple weeks.
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    "It also takes some time to go from eating large, oversized portions to smaller portions. If you have recently decreased your portion size significantly, you will feel hungry. It gets easier though. Your body has been used to being overstuffed and has taken that to be normal. It will adjust though; just give it a couple weeks."

Good points!
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat light within the day because i feel sharper and tend to eat a feast of a dinner to close out the day with a few smaller eats sprinkled around that meal. A large amount of protein & carbs tend to satiate me.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    I prefer to eat light within the day because i feel sharper and tend to eat a feast of a dinner to close out the day with a few smaller eats sprinkled around that meal. A large amount of protein & carbs tend to satiate me.

Same! I went from eating breakfast, snacks, lunch, snack dinner before weight loss to just eating a light lunch and then eating a huge dinner and late at night. The body really adapts. 1-2 bigger meals fills me more than eating smaller and more often. When I was used to eating throughout the day I always felt hungry, now I don't really want or need food until afternoon. I am also more productive at work without snacking distracting me, haha.