Do you eat whatever you want?

Options

Replies

• ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Mostly, though I try for a minimum of protein (EAT MOAR PROTEIN was drilled into during my years of dialysis), and of course I can't eat the quantities of everything I want if I'm going to meet calorie goals.

Also, due to chronic illness (renal transplant) I'll be on medication for life no matter what. Don't let anyone tell you that being on medication is some kind of moral failing.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Primary variables you can control are
    > calories effect weight
    > food choice effects health
    > exercise effects strength

They work together but the primary variables are your levers of control. I try to do all 3. My main goal is weight loss so calorie deficit is most important to me.

I've found I don't get miserably hungry when I make great food choices, but I can have a cookie or bite of ice cream occasionally without derailing. Planning ahead is the key to success.

I've found it is really hard to muscle up with very limited calories, so I walk every day but won't begin lifting until I get to maintenance and raise my calories. Muscles will make it easier to maintain new weight indefinitely and look good too :wink:
  • Bealski
    Bealski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I follow low carb IIFYM. So, I focus primarily on my macros but always try to eat as many nutrient-dense whole foods into that as possible to meet those goals. IMO, eating more food to meet your numbers is preferable to a few high calorie macro dense foods.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I fancy within my calorie allowance, if I go over I try to adjust the next few days so the average week works out. Nothing is denied but I have smaller portions than I would have previously.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I can eat a little of whatever I want any time, some of what I want much of the time, and all of whatever I want once in a while and still meet my goal of maintaining weight. I don't have any rules about good food or bad food, but I have to watch calories or I will gain. I have proved that.

I am determined NOT to yoyo again. I would love to tell you I don't want calorie dense foods HAHAHA but that would totally be a lie, of course I do! I am programmed to want them by centuries of ancestors who almost starved on the farm all winter!! But, on most days I am willing to compromise on either quantity or density of food, and find pleasing alternatives that fit my calorie budget.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yes, I barely pay attention to macros, sometimes I look just to see and I am fairly well balanced on average. I make myself eat fibrous food as much as possible as I find it helps with feeling full/satiated, and have trained myself to try fruit before another kind of snack. Yesterday however I ate 600 calories of shortbread cookies, and today I ate teddy grahams by the fistful, thank you PMS, but I was barely over cals yesterday and under at the end of today.
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I ate a baby. I wan't my baby back, baby back, baby back
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as it fits my calorie goal and macros; however, I cut down on fast food and sit down restaurants drastically and cut out soda and fruit juices entirely.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just getting started and wondered if people eat what they want as long as they stay within calories? Or do you really watch your carbs?

I eat whatever the heck I want, but I do follow Keto (because of high A1C). But, as restrictive as that is (Carbs are pretty much gone....all good! I do wander off the beaten trail every now and again....eat some carbs because it is something thSlight at appeals to me at that moment) I do not miss anything.

If you are trying to lose weight and you have no food allergies | intolerances and no medical conditions, then I would suggest that you follow your caloric intake (first and foremost.....as that - a caloric deficit - is what will create the weight loss....plain and simple) and then you hit your macros. How your macros look depends on you! What types of food do you like to ear? Most find that protein keeps you from being hungry. But, everyone is different. So, who cares what works for me or for him or for her - what works for you?

Additionally, I think that most people would generally agree with the below guideline (if you need a starting point):

Protein: 0.8g/lb - 1.2g/lb
    Fats: 0.30g/lb - 0.45b/lb
    Carbs: the rest

Now, I would REALLY suggest a slight modification to the above: /LBM (lean body mass) instead of /lb (body weight).

Slight difference.....but important.

Anyway, hopefuly this gives you a good start.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I watch my carbs because I'm diabetic, other than that I eat what I want staying within my calorie range and it's working for me, I'm down 30 lbs. It hasn't been quick or easy believe me, slow and steady works and I have at least 40 more lbs to lose. Keep up the good work everyone and thanks for sharing.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I feel like eating within my calories. I make an effort to match my macros when meal planning but it's not a huge deal for me.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yep as long as it fits my daily goal.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want within my calories, and always pre-log my meals so that I don't go off-piste. I have a sweet tooth so I'm sure to get a fix of something sweet most days - this morning that was a cinnamon raisin bagel with nutella for breakfast.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    No, I personally am very careful with what I eat but that's because I want to have the right body composition. As long as you're getting adequate amounts of protein, carbs and good fats and hit your calorie target, you'll achieve your goals :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I make better choices (for me) and eat what I want.
    Being careful to stay within my calorie budget.
    Works for me. I lost over 1/2 of my body weight doing this, and moving more.
  • Amandachanges
    Amandachanges Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I find that eating high fiber and low fat makes me feel the best. I need to get back on that lifestyle.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Technically you could lose weight while eating taco bell burritos everyday.
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

^^This! I eat whatever I want, as long as it fits into my allotted 1630 daily. Just have to burn off more than you take in (caloric deficit).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Pretty sure that for me, Taco Bell burritos are one of those foods that require additional energy to digest since I would be running to the bathroom and have an abdominal workout the entire time I’m in there from all the stomach cramps!
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Pretty sure that for me, Taco Bell burritos are one of those foods that require additional energy to digest since I would be running to the bathroom and have an abdominal workout the entire time I’m in there from all the stomach cramps!

And here I thought it was just me lol - Apparently Taco Bell does that to many people