Day 1 of counting calories, it’s hell..

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Dr Pepper is mine weakness. I caved today grocery shopping and grabbed a 20 oz bottle of sugar juice. I can't drink Diet Dr Pepper (although Diet Root Beer tastes fine? Diet colas are tolerable?), so it is just an occasional treat. Today was a mistake but you just keep right on going. I like Dr Pepper 10, but apparently since I like it no stores carry it. It's probably being discontinued. Those 10 sugar calories were enough to make Diet Dr Pepper taste enough like regular. *sigh*

I have replaced it with sparkling water, and plain water (luckily I love water). Sparkling water is quite the trend nowdays, and you can find all kinds. I got hooked on La Croix but I've switched to Bubbly because the cans are so much more aesthetically pleasing. I also found some at Target that are made with real fruit juice not "natural and artificial flavoring". Word of caution, one was horrible (it was pink) but I LOVE the lemon ones. Too bad they are more expensive than soda. That is what gets me, way less ingredients, but they are the same price for a 12 pack for an 8 pack. Grrr. There is literally nothing in them, ingredients wise.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Also, I just want to put a word in for Coke Zero. One of my friends who drank sugary sodas for years switched to it when he decided to lose weight. And he really likes it. I hate it; it's too sweet for me. But I adore unsweet tea and good ol' Diet Coke, so my taste buds are suspect, anyway.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Drink (& calories per 8oz)

* Powerade Zero (0)
    * Rockstars/Monsters (look for 0-10 cal)
    * Diet V8 Splash (10 cal-ish)
    * Ocean Spray Diet Cran Grape (5 cal)
    * Unsweetened herbal or fruit tea (brew yourself for 0 cal)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    AMIE2881 wrote: »
    Sugar is life!! I have had 1 soda today and I’m already over my 60grams of sugar. I normally drink like 6. Probably the reason I’m 20lbs over weight..lol, does anyone have a good replacement for soda?

Cool! 60*6 = 360 grams of sugar = roughly 1000 calories right there! You're on to something :)

See what you like: diet soda, tea, water (sparkling or non-sparkling), diet cordial in water, coffee, hey, what about no calorie fruit infusion teas cooled down and drank with ice cubes? Especially red fruits have a lot of taste.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    I drink sparkling water, sometimes with lime cordial, and don't miss soda anymore. But it's hard! Give yourself time to adjust and do it gradually. Calorie counting gets easier and easier.
  • kayten76
    kayten76 Posts: 4 Member
    I swapped out for sparkling water. Occasionally I'd add a drop of cordial but mainly just plain sparkling worked for me.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I love regular Pepsi—the one made with real sugar. However, I only have one occasionally. I’ve mostly switched to Spindrift Sparkling Waters when I want a soda. The Raspberry Lime is my favorite.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I love regular Pepsi—the one made with real sugar. However, I only have one occasionally. I’ve mostly switched to Spindrift Sparkling Waters when I want a soda. The Raspberry Lime is my favorite.

OMG that is the one! The one I hated so bad. I have a box with one missing cluttering up my pantry. Maybe I'll give it a second try based on your endorsement. I love the Lemon.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member

OMG that is the one! The one I hated so bad. I have a box with one missing cluttering up my pantry. Maybe I'll give it a second try based on your endorsement. I love the Lemon.
    That’s so funny-the raspberry lime is my favorite. The blackberry is good too, I haven’t tried the lemon. One thing I’ve found with it is it’s not good if you drink it out of the can because all the fruit juice/pulp sinks to the bottom and being carbonated, we can’t shake the can! I refrigerate the cans and pour over ice to drink.

• walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    I enjoy fruit flavored sparkling water. There's no sugar or artificial sweeteners in them (not that I'm against). I also drink the Stevia Coke (green bottle). It's sweetened with a 50/50 blend of sugar and Stevia, if Asparatame makes you paranoid.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    @LiftHeavyThings27105 I love your story because it’s almost exactly what my husband would say. Everything from the “work in IT but not an IT Guy” part...to the “use 10k words for a 75 word story” part is exactly like him too. The only difference is that my husband stopped drinking massive amounts of Diet Coke. He felt that all the caffeine wasn’t good for him, so he switched to water and low calorie juice drinks.