Ruptured L5 - S1: Needing a pick me up

Options
Hey Folks,

I do not post on here often, seems months actually, but I could use the experience of the group here as a sounding board..

I train for triathlons and work as a SPINNING instructor here in Ohio. In any given week, it was not unusual for me to teach 4 SPINNING classes and ride upward of 150 miles on my road bike. Add in about 20 miles of running and 3 of swimming and , well, you get the point.

Back started to stiffen up over the coarse of a few weeks and (of course) I worked through it Until the pain go to where I could not and (long story short) MRI showed a ruptured L5-S1disc with a projected healing time of 2- 6months. Now I am reduced to swimming, the elliptical and PT.

Could use some encouragement here. Any one else battled through this with success?

Mark

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I have massive disc degeneration between L2, L3 and L4. It ended my professional horseback riding career - or so I thought. 6 months of intensive PT (5 days a week) and they have stabilized. I am now working on getting my core strength back up so I can go p/t at my desk job and almost f/t riding again by next summer.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK. Let it heal properly before stressing it. The longer you take care of it, the better chance it won't get angered easily.

:smile:
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    Wow.. certainly haven't experienced this, but I'll help you out with motivation if you need. Keep pushing through.
  • Christinamosher
    Options
    I have found that injuries often open up other avenues of awareness and working out for me. I was able to lose my first 60lbs two years ago, but I developed plantar fasciatis in my right foot, so I couldn't run anymore (thus the weight loss stopped). Since then I had to work around the pain, try other activities, and become more aware of my body.

I'm about 8 months in with this injury and it's just starting to show progress, but you know, I realized that I never paid attention to my body like i should have before....so now I'm more attentive. I stretch more, I focus on my form and not just slamming through the workout.

In essence, I actually enjoy my workouts more.

You can do it. The body is an amazing tool and we can always learn from ours.
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the findings on the MRI. I, too, herniated my L5-S1 disc (6 years ago) and will never forget the conversation with the doctor:

Doctor: So what do you enjoy doing for exercise?
    Me: Running, soccer, mountain biking, lifting weights, etc.
    Doctor: Well, you should start to learn to enjoy walking and swimming.

He then walked out of the room to write a prescription and I began crying!

Six years later I must say that you will get back to "somewhat" normal. I have had to since stop playing soccer, but have continued to run, spin and do other activities I enjoy.

Albeit, I was never the ultra athlete that you seem to be, but I believe you can do it!! Be a good patient, go to PT and take care of yourself. Keep your core strong and as much muscle balance in your glutes and hamstrings as possible and you will notice less effect.

Hang in there!! :)
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey there ~ I can totally relate! I certainly wasn't as active as you are, but enough to have to make some small changes in the activities I can do.

In the Fall of 2009 I was functioning as usual and my low back started to hurt and within a month I was unable to get out of bed. MRI showed two disc herniations at L4/L5 & L5/S1. Fast forward 2 years and I'm still a bit tentative with what I do. I've been thru adjustments, supplements, spinal decompression therapy, PT, 3 epidural injections, massage ~ even had 2 surgical consults because after all that, I was still having sciatic issues and numbness in my right foot. Both surgeons advised against surgery and to continue with my conservative treatment, which now just consists of regular adjustments, massage, cardio & strength training. I walk A LOT and can ride a bike (sitting up straight), do yoga, swim & do weights to work my arms, upper/lower back, legs & core. The terrible back pain is LONG gone, but I still have sciatic issues if I push it too much and my foot will most likely always be partially numb ~ but I can live with that. If you take it easy & do as advised & and not push yourself ~ you should recover fully. Your spine is what holds the rest of your body together ~ and it needs to be treated with care.

Wishing you a full recovery!!! :smile:
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh lordy...you have my sympathies...I am also a back pain survivor!

My sacral joint is royally screwed, possibly from years of falling off horses after show jumping. I have had a couple of incidents where it completely spasms and I am stuck...can't move, can't breathe and oh boy does it make me swear.

Last time it landed me in hospital while I was at work in the bar (narrowly avoided going head 1st down to the cellar when I passed out)...and all I can do for it now is wait for my physio appointment to come through, take the NSAID's and occasionally the muscle relaxants and do the stretches.

Slowly, gently, let yourself heal. And good luck
  • Echoshill
    Echoshill Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank GOD for all of you.

I have screamed in to a pillow a time or two already.

Wondering for those who went through PT, how far did you folks back it down during recovery/PT? Just PT only or did you also work in some other cardio. Knowing that everyone heals differently, and i tend to heal slow, my hopes are high and my head is down.

Feel free to friend me and keep the encouragement coming. I will surely return the favor.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    never experienced this, but here for motivation!! Good luck!!
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    When I was going thru PT I also walked [as much as the discomfort would allow] - outside & on the treadmill. Had to keep those joints movin'! I was also able to do the incumbent bike on days I felt good AND did daily stretches. I followed all my doctors' orders and still haven't FULLY recovered - but that's MY healing history.

The horrible, pillow-screaming pain WILL pass, it's just a matter of time, time, time. And take the time, as much as it kills you to be less active, don't push it for awhile, even if you start feeling better. It will benefit you in the long run.

Wishing you the best!
  • Echoshill
    Options
    Thanks again to all of you. Especially the ones that dropped the private messages. Going to be a crappy long road.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Back pain is a nightmare. I spent most of last summer and fall in agony after a bad fall from a horse. (My SI joint was knocked out, seems a common injury for riders!). I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. Physical therapy and strengthening my core has significantly helped, and I'm mostly pain-free. I have some discomfort after long runs, or challenging rides, but no real pain.

My husband had two ruptured disks in his lower back. He had a hemilaminectomy, and since the surgery, has gone on to be a powerlifter. He started going to the gym to strengthen his core, and now can bench press in excess of 500 pounds. You can get through this!
  • Echoshill
    Options
    Back pain is a nightmare. I spent most of last summer and fall in agony after a bad fall from a horse. (My SI joint was knocked out, seems a common injury for riders!). I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. Physical therapy and strengthening my core has significantly helped, and I'm mostly pain-free. I have some discomfort after long runs, or challenging rides, but no real pain.

My husband had two ruptured disks in his lower back. He had a hemilaminectomy, and since the surgery, has gone on to be a powerlifter. He started going to the gym to strengthen his core, and now can bench press in excess of 500 pounds. You can get through this!

At this point, for better or worse, they are not even discussing surgery. But thank you a ton for your words and all my best to you and your husband.

I will keep you all posted.