Help with Wide Trail Running Shoes

Options
mph323
mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
A friend and I are planning to start trail running as soon as I find a pair of shoes that fit. I'm having a hard time, the box on all the shoes I've tried so far is too tight across the ball of my foot so it causes cramping and pinches my two smaller toes.

I just had a fit id scan at Fleet Feet that shows a neutral gait and a width just under a C on the foot with the bunion, so not really unusual I'd think outside of the width which means I can't wear standard medium width shoes. I wear New Balance WW width road running shoes with no problem, but those are the only one's I've found that fit.

Can anyone recommend a wide width trail running shoe that's actually available? I've gone down the lists of "Best Wide Trail Runners" on google, and most of the time when I try to buy a pair the wider width isn't available, or when it is the reviews complain it's really closer to a B. I've already racked up too much money trying shoes then paying to send them back, but I'm willing to take more chances if I can get some ideas from personal experience.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Inov-8 and Altra both make several models with a wide toe box.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Altra.
  • mph323
    Options

I found a wide width in my size in the Inov-8 so I'm ordering a pair to try (no shipping and free returns on Amazon) :) Have you tried the Altas? They don't come in widths as far as I can see, so typically would be closer to a C if advertised as wide.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

I found a wide width in my size in the Inov-8 so I'm ordering a pair to try (no shipping and free returns on Amazon) :) Have you tried the Altas? They don't come in widths as far as I can see, so typically would be closer to a C if advertised as wide.

I use Inov-8 Road Claws for road, Mud Claws, Race Ultra and Trail Talon depending on the route. Mud Claws are a precision fit though.
  • mph323
    Options
    I ordered the Rocklite 290s to try, I'll get them on Tues and can't wait. I was amazed they actually had the D width available in my size - these didn't show up on any of the lists I was looking at, so thinks for the tip :) I'll let you know how they work out.
  • jeanona
    jeanona Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I know you’ve ordered already but if you need one the next time, by far the best trail running shoes I’ve ever had was a saucony xodus men’s. I’ve got wide feet as well and those shoes were really good for me. Good luck with the shoes!
  • mph323
    Options
    jeanona wrote: »
    I know you’ve ordered already but if you need one the next time, by far the best trail running shoes I’ve ever had was a saucony xodus men’s. I’ve got wide feet as well and those shoes were really good for me. Good luck with the shoes!

hmmm - didn't consider men's, and I should have, since my riding shoes are unisex. That's a thought if these don't work - thanks!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I know you already ordered but I’m also casting a vote for Altra. They don’t really make “wide” shoes or rather they don’t market them as “wide”. It’s really more that they don’t make medium or narrow. They make shoes that are shaped like feet and usually have a very generously sized toe-box. I generally need very wide running shoes (think new balance super extra wide), but have done well with Altras (except their new “her fit” or whatever they call it which means it’s fit for Barbie’s foot-or rather it’s quite a bit more narrow than their non “her fit” toe box).
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I ordered the Rocklite 290s to try, I'll get them on Tues and can't wait. I was amazed they actually had the D width available in my size - these didn't show up on any of the lists I was looking at, so thinks for the tip :) I'll let you know how they work out.

Sounds good. Subject to what you run in now you may want to be careful in transition. The Roclite has a 4mm drop which helps your ground feel but might cause some stress in your calf.
  • mph323
    Options

Sounds good. Subject to what you run in now you may want to be careful in transition. The Roclite has a 4mm drop which helps your ground feel but might cause some stress in your calf.

Oh yeah, wasn't thinking about the drop. Thanks for the heads up.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Topo Athletic or Altra
  • mph323
    Options
    So many votes for Alta! If the Innov-8s don't work, those will be what I try next :)
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure of a specific shoe, but I have wide feet and have had good luck with Brooks brand. They’re a little pricey, but they last a long time.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Hoka One, Stinson ATR for trail running.
  • janeo150
    janeo150 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have "duck feet." Narrow heels and wide at the toe box. The only running shoe I've ever been able to wear is a Saucony in a men's size. I wear an 8 woman shoe and a 6 men. It's been my experience that the toe boxes in men's shoes are cut wider than in women's in general. The Saucony brand is old school but they fit my feet like a glove, never give me problems, and take me where I want to go.
  • mph323
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    I’m not sure of a specific shoe, but I have wide feet and have had good luck with Brooks brand. They’re a little pricey, but they last a long time.
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Hoka One, Stinson ATR for trail running.

How funny! I came home from Fleet Feet with a pair of Brooks road shoes and Hoka trail runners. Both of them ended up smashing my outside toes after 15 - 20 minutes. I was really sad, because I especially wanted to love the Hoka's in particular (they felt like foot gloves). When I took them back, going a half-size larger didn't solve the problem, and they ended up telling me they just didn't have anything compatible with my feet. :'(
    janeo150 wrote: »
    I have "duck feet." Narrow heels and wide at the toe box. The only running shoe I've ever been able to wear is a Saucony in a men's size. I wear an 8 woman shoe and a 6 men. It's been my experience that the toe boxes in men's shoes are cut wider than in women's in general. The Saucony brand is old school but they fit my feet like a glove, never give me problems, and take me where I want to go.

You sound like my foot twin! Seriously, if I can't get a proper fit with the suggested women's shoes I'm going to start trying on men's.