I cannot sleep on an empty stomach, I need a carb.

Options
flippy1234
flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
Hi there,
I cannot go to sleep if I am hungry. I do really well all day but if I am hungry at bed time, I get up and have something to eat. I need a carb. Any suggestion for foods to eat that won't derail my eating? Yes, I am usually able to fit it into my calorie allotment for the day. I am just trying to eat lower carb but at that time of the night, my body craves carbs.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Why not save some calories and carbs for before bed? If you eat carbs at night will it trigger your hunger to keep eating? Maybe find a higher fibre carb to keep you full and one that won't do that. Maybe a bit of cereal like Fibre 1 or All bran with milk or yogurt? A slice of toast.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Find a meal that fills you - everyone is a bit different on this one though. For me this is oatmeal with a dash of cinnamon and honey. ~210 kcals and really filling.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have to eat close to bedtime because I like to sleep full. What are things that keep you satisfied during the day? I usually have a pumpkin smoothie that contains a lot of fiber to help keep me full. I don't eat low carb so I'm not sure what might be best. Do you like string cheese?
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I usually have an evening snack, and save calories for it (I pre-plan my day each day, and make sure I allow for this).
    It can be anything from a sweet treat like some custard, sorbet or Greek yoghurt, a cup of tea and a biscuit, or some cereal or popcorn. Depends what I feel like, and how many calories I save!
    Love my evening snack!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I've had a serving of peanuts before bed and I find them really satisfying. They have the crunch that I really want, but they have a mixture of the macros and I feel better eating them than eg. nacho chips or toast that I'll crave. Alternatively, a giant bowl of frozen raspberries isn't too high in calories and is good for fibre and I find it delicious. What'll work for you could be different ofc. That's just what I've found to be good. A bowl of all bran is also good. Now, 1/4 cup of greek yogurt with some all bran and frozen raspberries is also really good.....(and it's been too long since I've done that and I might go eat some now haha). Good luck!

I'll also agree with quiksylver296, low carb doesn't work for everyone. I LOVE carbs. I've found I do better when I just make sure my carbs have fibre, like fruit and whole grains and legumes, etc.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I wake up hangry in the wee hours so I just sort of plan to have a snack at 3AM every day. Food timing is all about what works for you. For me, I need mostly fat and a little protein when I have the small-hours hanger, so I tend to eat cheese and a slice of deli meat, or a boiled egg, or some cottage cheese. But if you need carbs for good sleep, then just... eat some carbs? Going without what your body is telling you it needs is far more "derailing" than just accepting it, planning for it, eating it, and sleeping the sleep of the well-fed.

ETA: I have another macro-specific hanger in the late afternoon. I need some carbs around 3-4PM. It doesn't matter how well-balanced my other meals are. In the late afternoon I need some carbs. If I don't eat something carby I am a hungry angry lonely tired monster. So around then I... eat some carbs. I tend to save the carb portion from my "lunch" and just eat it a few hours later, problem solved. My particular body wants carbs around 3PM and fat/protein around 3AM, whatcha gonna do.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Cheese and crackers. Lasts all night. Eat in moderation of course.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    100 calorie popcorn
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I cannot go to sleep if I am hungry. I do really well all day but if I am hungry at bed time, I get up and have something to eat. I need a carb. Any suggestion for foods to eat that won't derail my eating? Yes, I am usually able to fit it into my calorie allotment for the day. I am just trying to eat lower carb but at that time of the night, my body craves carbs.

How many pounds to do you have to lose and what weekly weight loss goal did you set? I crave carbs when I'm under eating.

That said, some carbs make me sleepy so I save them for before bed.
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Protein shake, bruh. :-P
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I’m the same. I just look at my diary and remind myself I have to get through it or I’ll be going over my calories. I also have my biggest meal for dinner. If I have calories left I’ll have a hot chocolate or piece of toast right before I hop in bed.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi there,

How many pounds to do you have to lose and what weekly weight loss goal did you set? I crave carbs when I'm under eating.

I’m listening to why we sleep right now and one of the chapters about sleep and weight is interesting - in that lack of sleep (as they defined it averaging 4-5hrs sleep a night) - caused participants in one of the studies to crave carbs; that was diminished when they were averaging 8hrs sleep a night
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    SO have whatever you want before bed! I have to eat before bed so I eat 70% of my calories an hour before bed.
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I log in my oatmeal with flaxseed and berries every night as a bedtime snack about 30 minutes before bed. It fits into my allotted calories and keeps me from going to bed hungry or waking me up from hunger. I went from 205 lbs to my goal weight of 175 lbs and am still maintaining that weight. No need to go to bed hungry. Eating at night doesn’t cause weight gain, eating more calories then you use causes weight gain. Why do we still have to say this? People get it through your heads that its CICO so that you don’t sabatoge your diet with nonsense.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I’m listening to why we sleep right now and one of the chapters about sleep and weight is interesting - in that lack of sleep (as they defined it averaging 4-5hrs sleep a night) - caused participants in one of the studies to crave carbs; that was diminished when they were averaging 8hrs sleep a night

I'm rereading the Hungry Brain right now. It discusses a study where participants who had around 4 hours of sleep a night ate 300 kcal more than those who got 8 hours of sleep. People eat for energy and carbs have that.