Do you think Fruitarianism is a healthy lifestyle to follow?

Options
When I say fruitarianism, I mean a pure 100% fruit only diet. With that in mind, do you think a fruitarian can still be in good health despite limiting their diet to just fruits?

It seems like an extreme diet to follow for sure. I have found that fruitarianism may be related to spiritual or religious beliefs and many who undertake this diet are doing so for those reasons.

Overall, I'm curious as to what others opinions are of fruitarianism that may be of concern or interest to you?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This was an interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism

I was somewhat reassured to read "Some fruitarians use the botanical definitions of fruits and consume pulses, such as beans, peas, or other legumes."

However, the overall consensus is that Fruitarianism is unhealthy as it is so unbalanced.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    No. Diets limited to one food group are rarely healthy.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    You just cut out 2 essential macronutrients to live a healthy life/ survive if you eat only fruit.....
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    You just cut out 2 essential macronutrients to live a healthy life/ survive if you eat only fruit.....

I'm hoping they're smart enough to include avocado...at least you'd get some fat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Exactly. Trying to subsist upon the one macronutrient that's technically not essential for survival, while completely omitting the two macronutrients which are essential for survival.

It's pretty much the exact opposite of "healthy".
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Monomeals and run-by fruitings are rarely a good idea.

tumblr_lrmq2yWbU31qlsh4u.jpg.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You'd end up with malnutrition...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    RonyMack wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    No.

Google “kwashiorkor” for one reason why.

What does Japanese laundry detergent have to do with anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Just when you heard about all the extreme diets that exist in this world, here comes the fruitarianism diet to top it all off. It makes vegan keto look like a walk in the park. Why do people like to punish themselves to the point of restricting a large portion of foods?
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Seems sane compared to "breatharianism"
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    7at28sazzzwa.png
    I don't know, just look at Durian rider attempting a bicep pose...those gainzz are sick (sarcasm)

Seriously has the body of like a 14 year old pre-puberty

How much of that is due to exclusively being an endurance athlete, though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    RonyMack wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    No.

Google “kwashiorkor” for one reason why.

What does Japanese laundry detergent have to do with anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwashiorkor

That's so sad...
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Just when you heard about all the extreme diets that exist in this world, here comes the fruitarianism diet to top it all off. It makes vegan keto look like a walk in the park. Why do people like to punish themselves to the point of restricting a large portion of foods?

Someone I know has tried it a few times convinced that it would help her legitimate health problems. She's fallen off the wagon twice but last I checked she's still attempting it. She went to a retreat where for seven days that was all or mostly all they eat up there, and she felt good the first time she did it. I kind of figure it was a fleeting thing that she's been trying to recapture since.