Inflammation - Water Retention

Options
Good morning together,

recently I was recognising that as soon as I reduce sweeteners and dairy products my weight will drop immediately... around 5 to 8 lbs in about 3 days.

I am an engineer from Germany and traveling every 2 or 3 months for about 2 weeks (mainly to the US and Latin America). In this time my consumption of dairy is almost none and i do not use the extreme amount of sweeteners I usually use on a daily...

Back home dairy is my main protein source and i have read that this as well as artificial sweeteners can lead to inflammation and further lead to water retention.

Is there any connection? Thank you for your comments...

Replies

• rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've seen this but haven't read any studies to back it. Maybe someone can post some. I use a lot of sweeteners too and suffer from water retention, but I also love salt. I've never been able to say the artificial sweeteners are the cause.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Metabolizing a gram of carbs ties up several grams of water in the body temporarily. Sugar is a carb (including the sugar inherent in no sugar added dairy - the sugar the cow put there). Cutting sugar or other carbs can cause a quick water weight drop for this reason alone. It is not an incontrovertible sign of inflammation.

Too much added sugar is bad for you because it drives out other needed nutrition, or leads to exceed calorie consumption. As long as you're not lactose intolerant, dairy is fine.

Edited: typo
  • MaxPrinz
    MaxPrinz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always hit my macro targets, with or without dairy. So I was wondering about how all those artificial sweeteners can harm gut microbiom and therefore increase water retention by not being able to process dairy as well... @AnnPT77 I barely consume any sugar in my diet... all artificial (sucralose, aspartame, you name it...) @rose2_0 I also consume a lot of salt, but this does not seem to affect water retention, since I have more salt when travelling but less water retention... thank you both for replying, I hope I didnt butcher the english language :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    MaxPrinz wrote: »
    I always hit my macro targets, with or without dairy. So I was wondering about how all those artificial sweeteners can harm gut microbiom and therefore increase water retention by not being able to process dairy as well... @AnnPT77 I barely consume any sugar in my diet... all artificial (sucralose, aspartame, you name it...) @rose2_0 I also consume a lot of salt, but this does not seem to affect water retention, since I have more salt when travelling but less water retention... thank you both for replying, I hope I didnt butcher the english language :D

One cup of nonfat milk has 11.4 grams of sugar in it. The cow put it there. Other dairy products have varying amounts. Reducing dairy reduces sugar consumption, unless you replace the dairy foods with something that contains similar sugars. No major national/international health authority (WHO, USDA) I'm aware of suggests that we should worry about non-added sugars, which is what these are.

I can't speak to artificial sweeteners, because I don't find them tasty or desirable, so I rarely eat them.

Your English is fine . . . better than a good many of the native speakers in these forums, actually. ;)
  • MaxPrinz
    MaxPrinz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 you are right about the sugar coming from dairy products. Should be around 30 to 40 grams daily...