Water on Maintenance

Options
How much do you drink water while on Maintenance?

I tried drinking a lot while losing.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would change. If you're feeling good keep drinking whatever amount you are now.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you are losing or maintaining. Your body still needs the same amount of water.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Drinking "a lot" of water doesn't make you lose weight - apart from some extra steps to/from the bathroom perhaps?

I drink to stay hydrated and that amount varies enormously depending on heat, humidity and exercise - it has nothing to do with whether I'm maintaining my weight or losing weight.
    Couldn't tell you how much as I don't track it.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Great question!

Equation is one oz per kg of wt.

So # of 8 oz cups of water per 24 hours is your current weight in lbs divided by 2.2 and then divided by 8.

120 lb - 7 cups
    180 lb - 10 cups.
    220 lb - 12.5 cups

When I was 180, I was told at least 8 cups& no more than 12 (flushes our minerals).

The body doesn’t store water, so it’s best to space it throughput the day, sipping even, after drinking at least 12 oz upon awakening (if you didn’t drink any overnight).

The other day I drank 10 cups (water + electrolytes) in three hours and was a little dehydrated at the end of that period. According to your numbers that would be my allowance for more than 24hrs.
    A three hour hilly cycle ride in hot weather meant my needs were vastly different to someone in different circumstances.

It's actually pretty ludicrous to come up with a formula based on weight with no regard to temperature, humidity and the highly variable amount that different individuals sweat let alone different activity or exercise routines.

Your body actually regulates your hydration levels pretty well, conserving when short of fluids and getting rid of them when you over-supply.
  • sijomial
    Options
    The advice you got was ludicrous whether you got it from an MD or out of a fortune cookie!
    Maybe it works in a climate controlled hospital environment but not in the "real world" where there are far too many variables to be so prescriptive. You have given a great example why it doesn't work and is potentially harmful.

Personally I can't think of a single day in the last two months where it would have worked for me. Like the vast majority of people my thirst reflex functions perfectly well.

I was shooting the information not the messenger.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    There's another way of knowing whether your body requires more water. It's based on the color of the urine. If it's almost clear/ very light yellow, you're getting enough, if it's anything darker, you need to drink more.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I drink way too much, about 150oz+ a day. I don't think you need that much though. I got into the habit and now I am just always thirsty.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don’t like water and drink when I’m thirsty. Seems to make no difference in the big scheme of weight loss things. I avoid letting my urine get too yellow, but that’s pretty subjective and only because I don’t like to drink water so prefer to skip it till I’m pretty thirsty.

Drinking too much water could be a problem as well in washing out the kidneys’ electrolyte gradient over time- to Noreenmarie.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I don’t like water and drink when I’m thirsty. Seems to make no difference in the big scheme of weight loss things. I avoid letting my urine get too yellow, but that’s pretty subjective and only because I don’t like to drink water so prefer to skip it till I’m pretty thirsty.

Drinking too much water could be a problem as well in washing out the kidneys’ electrolyte gradient over time- to Noreenmarie.

Most people don't have this problem. I drink 100+ oz a day and my electrolytes are fine.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    fiddletime wrote: »

Most people don't have this problem. I drink 100+ oz a day and my electrolytes are fine.

You need to drink it quickly to do the damage. I’ve had mild over hydration (a numb accident) and it was horrible. Vomiting, crawling on the floor, horrible.

There was a famous case in the UK in the 80’s. Leah Betts (I think her name was) took some ecstasy, felt ill, and later died. Turned out she died because she followed the official advice at the time and drank lots of water. Pint after pint until she passed out and died.

Toxicity is in the dose, as they say.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My water intake has nothing to do with my weight. I just drink when I'm thirsty. I have never kept track but I do drink a lot, I ALWAYS have my knock off yeti with me filled with water.