Pcos and losing weight

Options
I'm 31 been following a 1200 calorie diet for about a month now and my weight keeps going up and down within about 5 pounds . I have pcos and alot of my weight is in my stomach and sides. I feel like even though I'm eating mostly vegetables and lean meat I'm not seeing progress that I want. Anyone relate?

Replies

• jenlockner25
    jenlockner25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I measure everything out and log everything I eat and drink.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There is a PCOS group on here may I suggest you take a look into it. PCOS changes many of the rules, a set of symptoms which can have varying inputs. Lowering carbs is something which helps with the insulin resistance aspect. Many women relate to PCOS. All the very best.

edit to add.

there is another PCOS thread active in the debate section. Some interesting information should come up there too. I'm not saying your thread is less value only that one was started slightly earlier in the day. This just goes to show it is a real problem for so many women.

One person has already said she is doing better on 60 gram carbs a day. each is different being lower than your allocation by 20 can help some. I helps by levelling out the insulin swings so the body does not have to concentrate on doing that and can work on working as best it can.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    CaraGrap wrote: »
    I have been where you are and it is very difficult to lose weight and people that tell you to eat less, it's very insulting. Someone with pcos unfortunately has to work twice as hard as anyone else.
    Why is it insulting? Is it not true? If wo, why is she even on a 1200 calorie diet?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Jaded Miss - I wonder if it is the kind of carbs you have chosen to eat. The other day I was reading on a Diabetic site, not all carbs are equal, in that for example a cooked carrot is more carb because of the change in its water content from the raw state, it contains more water. Potatoes would probably react similarly. The site was also saying a slice of bread has a different level of carbs if it is fresh to a day old to being stale and toasted. there was much more too it than I had expected. May be you prefer leafy vegies to fruit, there can be so many variables. Certainly one needs to avoid those low carb crashes.

I agree its finding your personal balance.
  • CaraGrap
    CaraGrap Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are and it is very difficult to lose weight and people that tell you to eat less, it's very insulting. Someone with pcos unfortunately has to work twice as hard as anyone else.
    Why is it insulting? Is it not true? If wo, why is she even on a 1200 calorie
    First do you have pcos? If so you would understand why that is insulting and unfair to say you should eat less. Pcos is extremely difficult to manage no matter how much or how little you eat. It doesn't even matter how much you work out. Also not all people that suffer from pcos are not the same. We have to work 10 times harder than the average person just to lose that 1 pound.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I’ve had PCOS, officially, about 15 years. I had all the signs growing up. Doctors would overlook everything else and just see the fat girl then tell me to exercise and eat less. Slow weight loss is an unfortunate symptom of PCOS. It can be done, but it will be slow. I think, though, it’ll be better. It’ll give you time to adjust to everything :)

In the past ~1 1/2 yrs I’ve really started eating better/healthier for me, and working out consistently. In a year, I’ve lost 18 pounds. I don’t measure myself so I’m not sure about inches.

Having PCOS can be very discouraging, especially since there’s no true cure. I am no where near my goal, but I’ve read where weight loss has helped others. I’ve read that a lower carb diet can help.

Maybe not what you want to hear :) Just keep at it. Make sure you’re measuring and logging everything. It will happen.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Why is it insulting? Is it not true? If wo, why is she even on a 1200 calorie diet?
    First do you have pcos? If so you would understand why that is insulting and unfair to say you should eat less. Pcos is extremely difficult to manage no matter how much or how little you eat. It doesn't even matter how much you work out. Also not all people that suffer from pcos are not the same. We have to work 10 times harder than the average person just to lose that 1 pound.
    No, I don't have PCOS, but I don't see why that is relevant? But I have been overweight, and I lost weight by eating less, everybody loses weight by eating less, that's why we suggest "eat less". I really don't think that any disease can override the laws of thermodynamics, so my suspicion is always that people who struggle, are doing unnecessary things, AND NOT the necessary things to lose weight, and that they don't understand that there are some things that are necessary for everybody, AND IN ADDITION other things that may be necessary for them.

Actually there is, they're called hypothyroidism, Cushing, additions, PCOS...just a few examples that affect hormone balance in the body. Hormones tell your body which foods to store, burn etc. Not saying all these people can't be successful once hormone levels are restored, just know your comment was a bit presumptuous. You statement was backwards, should have said there modifications necessary for them (first), and then there are lifestyle modifications that essential for everyone to obtain and maintain a healthful body.

There was a typo, I meant Addisions disease.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have PCOS. Diagnosed about 20 years ago, confirmed more recently due to some tests I’ve had to have.
    For years, I told myself that it was my PCOS that made it harder for me to lose weight. I tried lots of ways to lose the weight, always gave up in the end, because, well “it’s just so hard with PCOS”.

My hormones are really screwed up at the moment, leading to several complications. I’ve started on medication to help with this. I’m not insulin resistant, and my thyroid is fine, according to my last round of blood work.

I’ve been losing weight just fine with MFP- I’m careful to be as accurate as I can, weighing food religiously and logging EVERYTHING. No “forgetting” to log things, no underestimating... it’s all very honest. I also love carbs, and don’t restrict them at all- I regularly eat somewhere in the range of 159-200g of carbs per day.
    The weight loss started before I was on my meds, continued the same way after starting them.

I guess that what I wanted to say is, don’t do what I did and just blindly subscribe to the idea that weight loss is harder with PCOS (not saying that you are, just that I did, and now I regret all those wasted years). Maybe it is harder for some people, but I’m proof that it’s not harder for everyone with PCOS.
    For me, the hardest part was complete honesty in my logging.

Once I focussed on that, the weight came off just fine, and continues to do so.
  • amandalolson12
    amandalolson12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I was going to write this big response in order to help support. However, I thought maybe there was a way for it to help more people so I turned that post into my first blog.

I hope the tips in there can give you some help or give you some faith to keep going! More than happy to try and help further if I can.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/amandalolson12/view/top-10-tips-how-i-lost-47-pounds-and-counting-with-pcos-955847

Cheers

Amanda
  • findingmb
    findingmb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I was going to write this big response in order to help support. However, I thought maybe there was a way for it to help more people so I turned that post into my first blog.

I hope the tips in there can give you some help or give you some faith to keep going! More than happy to try and help further if I can.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/amandalolson12/view/top-10-tips-how-i-lost-47-pounds-and-counting-with-pcos-955847

Cheers

Amanda

This is great - I would add to number ten that if your Dr isn't supportive around PCOS then find one who is, some are definitely better than others and the different levels of support are staggering.
  • QPR1953
    QPR1953 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1200 calories diet and have now lost 3.5 Stones since January. Initially I was following the diet and weighing and logging everything but not losing much. It was a bit disheartening but I knew I felt better so carried on. After about 6 weeks the weight started falling off and has continued to do so. I haven't added in extra exercise as I want to create good eating habits first but obviously as I got smaller became naturally more active. The other thing I have done is drink more water which has done wonders for my skin. I have just under 2 Stones to go and it is getting a bit harder now but I don't worry so much about it now as I know I can do it. I hope my story will help to keep you on track as healthy eating is so good for your mind as much as for your body.
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I also lost weight with PCOS. I did it by being honest with and sticking to my deficit. I did not cut anything, I just ate less of it or ate less of something else. I also make an effort to be active so I can eat more.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This is interesting and important, thanks to everyone for posting!