Treadmill Love

Options
TeresaW1020
TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
So, I love my treadmill and have improved quite a bit since starting to really walk on it a year ago. Back then I could barely do 20 minutes at 2.5 without getting tired. Now I usually do 45 minutes at around 3.1 to 3.4. I also do the different programs my machine offers. I love intervals!! This morning I walked a 5K in 59 minutes. I have no idea if that is good compared to others and was wondering what kind of results some of you get on your treadmill? I use the C25K app and was wondering if any of you use other apps that might be fun to use on the treadmill. Most of the walking apps that I have seen are for outdoors and I live in Georgia so walking outside in the summer is NOT happening. I do love challenging myself and one day when I get more weight off I hope to be able to run...or at least jog. :smiley:

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can use c25k on the treadmill. Whyat makes an app unusable on treadmill?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I put a TV and DVD player by my treadmill so I can watch a show while I walk.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I don't use a treadmill very often because I prefer to and am able to get out early and run. That said, any running app that doesn't require a GPS connection would be fine to use on a treadmill.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If you like scenery, maybe take a look at Virtual Active (or any of the other similar apps) that show video of assorted locations (national parks, trails, famous places around the world) while you walk/run on the treadmill or ride a stationary bike. Some are fancy and can even match the video speed to your actual pace.

I have a TV in my gym so when I’m stuck on the treadmill, I just watch that.
  • confidenceinrain
    confidenceinrain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't have any app suggestions but use the treadmill 3 or 4 times per week at the gym. Well done on your hard work!!

I hate running but I love the feeling I have after a workout that includes running. I ran cross country as a teen and now have trouble with my knees on the pavement so the treadmill is perfect. Recently I've been doing internals of 5 minutes walking then 5 running, repeat for 40 to 50 min. You could do less than 5 minutes if that's a lot. I only started that a couple weeks ago but have been able to put the speed up on the running side by a whole km per hour. Would something like that work for you?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I love walking on the treadmill. When I was in grad school I would walk while listening to lectures about 2 hours or 7-10 miles everyday! I love how you can set it up to watch a movie or browse the internet or other things while walking. I never really liked running and still prefer walking, lol.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do have a TV and will watch my taped shows. I will check out some running apps. I’ve done the C25K app several times. I just walk really fast when it says to run.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There are some good youtube treadmill workout videos.

I, personally, just listen to library books on Hoopla.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    App that work with a treadmill? This might help you, if you have an iphone there is probably an equivalent.
    https://thedroidguy.com/2018/07/5-best-treadmill-workout-apps-for-android-2017-1073061
  • Rebecca512787
    Rebecca512787 Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Teresa, it may not be your thing, but I'm a big believer in Dr. Kenneth Cooper's work and using HRMs for conditioning. If one exercises in the proper zone, an increase is rigor is determined by the heart's condition alone. I'm planning to start up again August 1st. Started training for a marathon once and just found I didn't care for the running. Really preferred a good walking pace so I raised the incline a bit. Eventually, added a weighted vest and finally added more incline in order to keep improving my aerobic conditioning without the need to run. I absolutely loved trudging along like that and was in terrific shape. Walking outdoors is nice but I don't push myself the same way, typically and we have some months of pretty unbearable heat in Texas where I live.

Would like connecting with others who want to do the same sort of tracking. Just for a weekly or twice per week accountability.
  • Gashliecrumb1
    Gashliecrumb1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This isn't an app, but I find it useful - Podrunner Podcast. It's a library of music mixes of various lengths at various beats per minute. The music is techno/trance/club, etc. No vocals (Which is fine by me - I 'd rather zone out.) The beat of the music carries me along. There are slower bpm mixes for walker/joggers all the way to 180 bmp for speed workouts. Some of the mixes are intervals, some tabata, some steady state. I use it on the treadmill to do intervals or rolling hills...anything to keep it challenging and stave off boredom. Best of all - it's free.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Teresa, it may not be your thing, but I'm a big believer in Dr. Kenneth Cooper's work and using HRMs for conditioning. If one exercises in the proper zone, an increase is rigor is determined by the heart's condition alone. I'm planning to start up again August 1st. Started training for a marathon once and just found I didn't care for the running. Really preferred a good walking pace so I raised the incline a bit. Eventually, added a weighted vest and finally added more incline in order to keep improving my aerobic conditioning without the need to run. I absolutely loved trudging along like that and was in terrific shape. Walking outdoors is nice but I don't push myself the same way, typically and we have some months of pretty unbearable heat in Texas where I live.

Would like connecting with others who want to do the same sort of tracking. Just for a weekly or twice per week accountability.

Thanks, Rebecca! I hadn't ever heard of Dr. Cooper but did a quick Google search and he looks pretty solid on his take on exercise and diet! I also had never heard of a weighted vest and LOVE that idea. I tried those weighted wristbands but they are super annoying when I'm trying to fast-forward my TV show. :smiley:

I love incline walking and doing the interval program on my machine is fun. If you're looking for someone to do accountability I'm all for it! I really want to get fit as well as lose this weight! :)
  • Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I find there helpful .
    They have a bunch on youtube .
    All over the world.

https://youtu.be/ngAbdEQA9nQ
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill! I put on Netflix and zone out and before I know it, my time is up.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There's an app called Moov that has free workouts or you can buy a premium subscription. I've created my own programs where I raise the incline at various intervals, it also makes the time go by. For example, I will do a minute at 1%, then a minute at 2%, then back to 1% for a minute, then 3%, then back down and so on. I used to do a program I called 5x5, which was raising the incline by 5% every 5 minutes, but then I got a new treadmill and it's much harder to walk at such a steep incline now. I vary the speed to, but if I'm doing steady state, its 4.0 at 1% for as long as I feel like going, but at least 2 miles, while I watch TV.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Zwift